Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP! Engine died in parking lot. No check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
miniconvert
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Engine died in parking lot. No check engine light

2006 Cooper S automatic.

I am posting this for a friend but i was the driver when the problem occured. On Sat we were at an outdoor mall. I was fully stopped in "D", waiting to turn into a row of parking spaces and waiting for another car to pass me. Once it was safe i let go of the brake pedal and pressed on the accelerator, but nothing! I tapped it a couple times and the engine didnt rev up at all. i then put the car into park and tried to restart with the key. nothing.

So i got out and pushed the car into an empty space, waited a few min and the car started back up fine. But no check engine lights to be found.

We took the car to morristown mini and they could not reproduce the issue + there was no fault codes or check engine codes of any kind. so we are back to square one and fear to drive the car. We were lucky it happened in a parking lot, but what if it happens on a highway with a lot of traffic?

The dealer told us without a fault code and unable to reproduce the problem at the dealer, they cannot really do much. they dont have any loaners either.

Has anyone had similar issue with their cooper s automatic? and was there a specific service bulletin to get this fixed. the only thing i found were these 4 other owners who had similar issues.
http://tinyurl.com/nktsz3 (major diff is our car has no fault codes or check engine light record)

Last edited by miniconvert; 07-22-2009 at 01:18 PM.