Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Random E-Brake Light = No Windshield Wipers???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Random E-Brake Light = No Windshield Wipers???

OK I got a good one here

A couple weeks ago I noticed my E-brake light coming on for no reason while Im driving. It seems to go on and off intermittently for no apparent reason.

Now today I got caught in the rain and my windshield wipers were barely working. It was like there was something pushing them down or there was ALOT of friction between them and the windshield. All of the sudden, they started working normally again, then about 15 minutes later, they stopped again. Then I realized that when that E-brake light comes on, the windshield wipers go out.

So.....Any ideas as to whats going on?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a strange one.

Remember that the e-brake light is also the light that tells you the brake fluid is low. Check the fluid, an intermittent brake light can be caused by fluid that is a bit low. Cornering will make the light go on & off. As far as the wipers go, no idea??

Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 PM
JohnnyVillan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
That's a strange one.

Remember that the e-brake light is also the light that tells you the brake fluid is low. Check the fluid, an intermittent brake light can be caused by fluid that is a bit low. Cornering will make the light go on & off. As far as the wipers go, no idea??
I'll check it but the fluid should be fine. The light comes on while Im sitting still, on the highway, or driving around the city. Theres no specific action that makes it go on. I hit a bump a couple weeks back and it seemed to knock it on and ever since then its been on the fritz. Ive read other people had the same problem.

Minspeed seems to think its probably some issue with the computer, but I guess I wont know for sure untill I get it checked on monday. I just wanted to see if anybody else has had this issue.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck. Let us know what it turns out to be. Hope it is an easy & inexpensive fix.