Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door rusted through paint peeling MINI won't honor 6 yr warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door rusted through paint peeling MINI won't honor 6 yr warranty

Almost out of warranty. Water has worked it's way under paint on driver door and rusted under the caulk sealant. Paint has bubbled and metal all rusted underneath along bottom of door. This had to have come through from inside the door. MINI regional rep at first said door was repainted. (I have owned since new and this IS NOT THE CASE) I protested to BMW customer relations and they tried to intervene to no avail. The rep has now changed the reason to "not rusted through" so not covered. They will however repair the corosion around rear taillight under warranty. Has anyone has any trouble like this? The car is otherwise perfect, but I need a new door. The other side looks fine. '03 Cooper, black.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Locust
3rd Gear
Do you have a copy of the actual warranty wording? If the 2003 wording states it is covered then getting a lawyer will be your only recourse for having them replace the entire door. Sounds like a cheap escape by the dealer if you ask me. Post some pictures of your problem area. I dont expect this type of cheap trick from BMW, but it doesnt suprise me at all.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orvillespooner
Almost out of warranty. Water has worked it's way under paint on driver door and rusted under the caulk sealant. Paint has bubbled and metal all rusted underneath along bottom of door. This had to have come through from inside the door. MINI regional rep at first said door was repainted. (I have owned since new and this IS NOT THE CASE) I protested to BMW customer relations and they tried to intervene to no avail. The rep has now changed the reason to "not rusted through" so not covered. They will however repair the corrosion around rear taillight under warranty. Has anyone has any trouble like this? The car is otherwise perfect, but I need a new door. The other side looks fine. '03 Cooper, black.
I had the same problem on my 2002 R50, I noticed a very small bubble on the drivers side door along the bottom edge. My car has a 6 year unlimited rust warranty and I was 2 week away from 6 years, I took the car to the dealer and they took pictures (granted you could barely see the bubble, in fact you had to run your fingers over it to know it was there!). Three day later they called and agreed to make the repairs, they gave me 2008 S and kept my car for 12 days. I also asked them to check the other side just in case. They repaired both sides and gave me a loaner at no charge! the rust was not all the way through but it was present. The body shop reported that the damage was far worst than could be seen on the outside. The dealer is Prestige in MAWAH NJ. I don't understand why they are giving you such a hard time. Rust is rust, try using a common pin on the bubble, it will go through with minimum effort then take it back and let them tell you its not through. Good luck. If you are in NJ take it to MAWAH they will fix it as they have already been down this road. Also publish the name of the dealer here and see if they have already fixed other cars for the same reason then they should not refuse to fix yours!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Also MINI has a TSB out for the repair of rust on the door sill under the rubber trim, and in all instances that rust is on the surface and not through the metal! Search this site for the TSB number. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
thanks..

the area is not on the door sill, but the door itself. The rust started from behind the caulking that seals the outer door skin to the inner door. It worked it's way along the bottom edge of the door over the last two years and then under the paint. This has to be "rust through" there is no other explanation. Surface rust would start with a chip or wear throught the paint. The dealer in NJ would use the same regional rep I would think to inspect the door. In any case I would think they would at least talk to each other. BMW/MINI customer relations was very cordial and but explained that they cannot override a decision made by regional rep. By the time I take car into body shop in January for tailight rust repair it will be too late as my warranty is done on 12/23.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Where there are bubbles the metal is all the way through! there is air under the bubble not metal. I had a small bubble in the same area and they fixed it!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:31 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
Amazing thing is they will fix the corrosion around the taillight and there is no way that the rust came through from underneath the car. Moisture penetrated into the seam from the surface where the sheet metal was joined together. So in my opinion the door issue is far worse and would fit the criteria for the warranty much more clearly. Sad thing is I just invested a bunch of $$ into the MINI and it is otherwise perfect, with new clutch, brakes, exhaust etc. I have been very impressed with BMW/MINI/warranty and service, and I should know as I own two MINI's, bought new. I just think something went askew in this process. I will probably end up fixing this myself in the Spring. It usually comes down to that in the end for me. Gen 1 MINI's will always be one of my favorite cars of all time.