Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0301 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0301 Code

I've done a search but need some help. My 03 MC keeps giving a p0301 code cylinder 1 misfire detected and sometimes a p0313 misfire detected with low fuel. Here is the strange part. When I start the car in the morning and drive 20 miles to work the yellow warning light never comes on. But if I stop for gas and start the engine I will get a p0301 code when I drive away. If I allow the engine to completely cool down and start it there will be no warning light. Very weird. Sometimes when I start the engine and it is still hot it will stumble and run rough, like limp home mode, but if I shut off the motor and restart it it runs normal. I tried to test the compression today but need a adapter like the BMW 11 8 490. I have a screamin demon coil and put the original coil in the see if anything changed, it didn't. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm..Bentley says;
Misfire detection: This strategy monitors crankshaft speed
fluctuations to determine if an engine misfire occures. The sys-
tem identifies a misfire, as well as other pertinent misfire infor-
mation such as:
Specific cylinder(s) misfiring
Severity of misfire event
Relevance to vehicle emissions
Potential of damage to catalyst.
Misfire detection is an on-going process only disabled under
certain limited conditions.

ummm make sense? Hopefully someone else will be more helpful, I'll keep digging in the manual. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Not sure if this is applicable in your case, but when I had a P0301 misfire pop up, I simply replaced all my spark plugs, which appears to have solved the problem as I no longer get the code anymore.

GotMINI

Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniconcarne
Hmm..Bentley says;
Misfire detection: This strategy monitors crankshaft speed
fluctuations to determine if an engine misfire occures. The sys-
tem identifies a misfire, as well as other pertinent misfire infor-
mation such as:
Specific cylinder(s) misfiring
Severity of misfire event
Relevance to vehicle emissions
Potential of damage to catalyst.
Misfire detection is an on-going process only disabled under
certain limited conditions.

ummm make sense? Hopefully someone else will be more helpful, I'll keep digging in the manual. Good luck.
I read that in the Bentley manual too. Since the misfire is confined to #1 cylinder I'll have to check everything related to that. It's just very odd that I only get this code if the engine is started when it's warm or hot, never on a cold start.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alerious
Not sure if this is applicable in your case, but when I had a P0301 misfire pop up, I simply replaced all my spark plugs, which appears to have solved the problem as I no longer get the code anymore.

GotMINI

I thought it may be plugs too so I switched the plug in #1 with #2 and still had the same code. Never got a misfire code in another cylinder.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
If anyone is looking for a long adapter to check the compression on your motor you can find it here. www.zdmak.com Look for part# MK-AP7881 . It's 71/2" long. Most compression test kits have short adapters and you would need a thin wall socket to tighten it up.

While I was on that site I also found this BMW009200 . It's the windshield washer aiming tool. I have never been able to get the sprayers to hit the windshield in the right spots. Seems like they spray the roof more than the windshield. With this I should be able to shoot the bugs right off.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Here is a update. I checked the compression and it wasn't good.
90psi in #1 , 120psi in #2 , 130psi in #3 and psi in #4
The test was done dry so I added a little oil to #1 and the reading didn't change. Next thing to check is the valves. So I made a appointment with the MINI dealer to do a leak down test to verify.

Since a valve job is most likely in my future dose anyone know a machine shop that specializes in MINIs ? Or should I just use my local machine shop? I can pull and install the head so I just need a shop to re-work it.