Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Broken Hood Pull

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guidmini
Why did you disconnect the battery,why did you keep opening and closing the hood. From my experience once the batt is disconnected I leave everything as is. But Im sure you know that know.

Good Luck
Yeah, I know to leave it open next time. I was installing a gauge (that's why the battery was disconnected), but I took a lunch break and shut the hood. When I went to open it :POP:

Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I find it interesting that there are two instances of failed bonnet latch pull cables and two related reports of bonnet opening problems that could clearly lead to failed cables in this thread...all on 2nd Gen MINIs less than 18 months old. That seems excessive to me. Anyone have any thoughts as to why these mechanisms are wearing out so quickly? Is this a 1st Gen problem too?

It would be interesting to know if the two MINIs guidmini worked on were of the R56 variety.

(...and the first poster that turns this into an R56 bash-fest goes on my ignore list)

Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Mine also failed but i didn't happen to have the battery unplugged. You must be quite unlucky You might want to try taking pliers to the cable itself from inside the cabin. Must have designed the latches to fail after 100 cycles. Probably good enough to make it through warranty for most people. Mine failed within a few month between the opening it up during break in and autocross to prevent heat soak.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I find it interesting that there are two instances of failed bonnet latch pull cables and two related reports of bonnet opening problems that could clearly lead to failed cables in this thread...all on 2nd Gen MINIs less than 18 months old. That seems excessive to me. Anyone have any thoughts as to why these mechanisms are wearing out so quickly? Is this a 1st Gen problem too?

It would be interesting to know if the two MINIs guidmini worked on were of the R56 variety.

(...and the first poster that turns this into an R56 bash-fest goes on my ignore list)
Excessive? How many R56's have been sold? I agree it's an issue but using this site as a guideline for how many have problems isn't too accurate.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Excessive? How many R56's have been sold? I agree it's an issue but using this site as a guideline for how many have problems isn't too accurate.
True and I agree, but I'm looking at it proportionally and not at the total numbers. Since the vast majority of MINIs out there (and their owners who post in NAM) are 1st Gen, if the percentage occurrence of this problem between the two groups is comparable then it would be reasonable to expect--based on the frequency reported in this thread--that there should be a sordid history with a whole bushel basket full of 1st Gen MINIs that have experienced this problem. In fact, the reports should be even more prevalent since some MINIs have been around for seven years or more with lots more time for this mechanism to wear itself out.

I have yet to discover this proportional history of occurrence. I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 03-01-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Cairo94507
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
"Warranty void!"
I would find a way to open that hood and put everything back before you involve the dealer! When they find out you were tampering, even if you know what you are doing, they might make notes in your records about the air intake removed etc. and this could have adverse effects on your future warranty claims.

I completely disagree; there needs to be a logical connection between the work you have done and the failure. I don't care what you do to the engine, it has not connection to the hood latch functioning. This should have no warranty voided issues. This is my opinion based upon many, many cars that have been modded and still had valid warranty coverage on other issues which presented.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
On a positive note, I was able to reach in and connect the battery and the gauge worked, so this isn't all in vain. But, the air filter is still off so I'll be having it towed Monday.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
True and I agree, but I'm looking at it proportionally and not at the total numbers. Since the vast majority of MINIs out there (and their owners who post in NAM) are 1st Gen, if the percentage occurrence of this problem between the two groups is comparable then it would be reasonable to expect--based on the frequency reported in this thread--that there should be a sordid history with a whole bushel basket full of 1st Gen MINIs that have experienced this problem. In fact, the reports should be even more prevalent since some MINIs have been around for seven years or more with lots more time for this mechanism to wear itself out.

I have yet to discover this proportional history of occurrence. I'll keep looking.
Its definitely a design problem. The hood latch is cheap and designed for plastic to take the brunt of the torque multiplied force from your fingers. Coupled with the poor surface roughness from the latches in the hood and no sort of lubricant to begin with, this will become a common failure. Mine was magnified by the hood being pretensioned too much by the bumpers from the factory. Ultimately the plastic latches are cheap and do break too early but its something that every manufacture does. Its common for the latch to break on cars from the 90s that start eating oil and see more use. This case the factor of the latches being rough with no lubricant is going to cause many to fail fairly early.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Maybe they are trying to discourage DIYers to decrease the work they do on their cars.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Maybe they are trying to discourage DIYers to decrease the work they do on their cars.
Yes that's exactly it!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Konquest
2nd Gear
mine broke a few days ago too! I tried using plyers to pull the cable but I couldnt get the bonnet to release. Dealership ordered parts to repair

Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
someone needs to get the inside trick on how the dealer service dept opens it when you give the car to them with a broken cable.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Update:

The dealer called me this morning and said my car was ready to be picked up (not bad!). The SA informed me that the "cable came out of its housing from the hood", so the cable did not snap. They reconnected the cable and lubed the bejeezus out of all related moving parts.

Unfortunately, while at the dealer the windshield was somehow cracked, so back to the dealer Thursday (but they are paying to have it replaced, so no worries). I am just happy to have my car back, and finally be able to test out my sweet new Alta Boost Gauge (which btw is awesome!)

The valet dude at the dealership was hysterical. He said "This is a great running car. I had to take it around the block and WOW!"

Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I have quoted before, LUBRICATION is the answer

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
Update:
The valet dude at the dealership was hysterical. He said "This is a great running car. I had to take it around the block and WOW!"
Uh Oh, I would be very worried if the valet had said something like that to my face...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There might be something to do proactively, like secure the cable in its housing, or whatever. I'm thinking a well-placed cable tie.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
There might be something to do proactively, like secure the cable in its housing, or whatever. I'm thinking a well-placed cable tie.

This issue was addressed on mini2.com. I think it was on their tech page. But this was before they re-did their entire site so I don't know if it's on their site anymore.

From what I saw on the pic, a plastic zip tie secured the cable to the latch.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Uh Oh, I would be very worried if the valet had said something like that to my face...
I checked the peak boost on my gauge , no worries. I do agree though, it caught me off guard.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
This issue was addressed on mini2.com. I think it was on their tech page. But this was before they re-did their entire site so I don't know if it's on their site anymore.

From what I saw on the pic, a plastic zip tie secured the cable to the latch.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fi...latch-fix.html

I just checked my car. That thread must be for 1st gen cars. It's an old thread. My car's latches don't look like that one. It has a U shape that the cable end grabs.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 03-04-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:14 AM
jwpaddy
Neutral
Broken hood cable

My '07 S cable broke a few weeks ago. Took it to the dealer for repair. They had to break the grill to open the hood (bonnet). Dealer needed to keep the car for 3 work days. They gave me a 2007 Mercedes C280 as a loaner for the time they had my car! Mini was repaired with new latch, cable and of course any other related part. They even washed my car upon return. To date, the best I have ever been treated at a car dealership. By the way the dealer is Keeler Motors in upstate NY.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey, that's where I'm buying my car!
How about that coffee machine with the designer coffees?
Almost make you enjoy paying $100/per hour, or whatever.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Krut's Bonnet Release Goes POP! Too!

Same thing happened to me today. Pull into work, Secret Service waiting for me to do a sweep of my car (oh yeah, I work at a convention center and POTUS was visiting today). Agent asks me to open my hood, pull the bonnet release. Nothing. No Dice. Nada.

Sucks, I just got this car out of the shop. Now I have to make an appointment to get the Garmin mount powered up (Tech at MoS didn't install correctly) AND get this thing fixed.

Grrrrr.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chili_red07
I checked the peak boost on my gauge , no worries. I do agree though, it caught me off guard.
Did you take your MINI to Herb Chambers or MINI of Peabody?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
wow I'm glad I read this thread...

my Alta ECU arrives tomorrow. (feel how hard my nipples are)

I'm going to lube all the joints since I've popped the hood many times already!

That would really suck to get the warranty killed because I couldn't get the mods off with a broken closed hood!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Just lubed "points" again

Like one of the other posters said, it's all about lubrication. My hood latch was very stiff as new. I put some break-free on the points that seemed right and it worked MUCH easier. I just went back today and lightly hit the points with some white grease, and it's easier yet. Do yours now and save some grief later on. I open my hood all the time. (well, several times a week...how do you think I heat my garage ?) Look down at the top of the grille with the hood up and you'll see the little black encased cable running from your left over to your right. It has a little ball end on it at two points. Just look at where those two big U's come down that are attached to the hood and figure out where the lube goes. Do it once in a while as a preventive measure. Just tryin' to help!

Quick Reply: Broken Hood Pull