Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Airbag light?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noodle, just an aside here - the seat position sensor is not the same as the "weight sensing mat".

If your car throws a code it should be in the On Board Computer, I'd think. I remember reading on here (maybe in the Owners Manual) how to access the code...but of course, one likes to believe one's dealership's technicians can access that whether or not the warning code is on or not when the car arrives for service.

Rev12, glad they've got it on order. Are you driving your MINI or did they give you a loaner? And by the way, "Welcome to NAM" as I see this is your first post! There are some other "Revs" on here...as in "men of the cloth" if that is relative to your handle's acronym.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Rev12
1st Gear
Yes, this is my first post. I have been lurking since August when I ordered my MINI. I got it Oct 21st and had the light go on and off intermittently. I get a code cc-id 097 on my tach when I run the diagnostic check from the turn signal. When we took it in this morning the light had gone out and there were 7 occurrences on the diagnostic readout, but they could not isolate it and I left for home about 200 miles away. When we got about 30 miles from the dealer, the lights came on again. We drove back to the dealer and left the car running. The tech came out and drove it into the shop and ran the diagnostics with the car running. That’s when they were able to tell that it was the seat position sensor.

The light is still on and we drove it all the way back home

Yes, I am a pastor but my ‘name’ stands for Revelation chapter 12. (I am thinking about naming my MINI Michael.)

Last edited by Rev12; 11-24-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Size/Font codes in body
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Noodle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Noodle, just an aside here - the seat position sensor is not the same as the "weight sensing mat".

If your car throws a code it should be in the On Board Computer, I'd think. I remember reading on here (maybe in the Owners Manual) how to access the code...but of course, one likes to believe one's dealership's technicians can access that whether or not the warning code is on or not when the car arrives for service.
Thanks for the response. The problem that we are having is the passenger airbag light. I don't think it has anything to do with the seat position sensor because the seat is all the way back usually. And like the other people have said is that it is an intermittent problem. Kind of annoying so we are going to take it back in on Wednesday. Hope I get to have Penfold home for his first thanksgiving.

Wonder where it likes the turkey....

Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 AM
korby
6th Gear
My airbag and steering wheel are being replaced . Crevier told me it should not be driven Irvine Mini told me it was ok to drive .I had taken it in to Irvine two months ago they said they would order parts . They never got back to me .

Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, best wishes to you Rev12 and you, too, Noodle. My airbag light and passenger seat belt light issues were not intermittent, rather constant. Here's hoping yours are healed or replaced!

Korby, now that IS a big deal - a whole steering wheel replacement!? If it solves the problem - so be it.

Thankfully after my last visit and the fix, all is well over 1000 miles later.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 PM
tracktoy990
2nd Gear
hi guys! It looks like you have another person to join in and share the pain... A few days ago i noticed that the overhead light was on even though I had a passenger in the seat. I confirmed that all wires are plugged in, and that moving around on the seat would not make this condition go away. After parking for a few seconds, turning off the car, and having the passenger get out and back in, the light disappeared after starting the car. I'll be calling up my local dealer for this soon... hopefully they don't take my baby away!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Otra
6th Gear
So is it the seatbelt light as well as the airbag light, or just the seatbelt light? The airbag light is that one that looks like a pregnant person sitting down and it will show up in the middle of your on board computer, too.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
The saga continues....

Saturday: the overhead passenger airbag disabled warning light comes on with my wife in the car. I was near my dealer so I drove it in to have it WITNESSED by a SA. SA confirms problem. I make an appointment to bring it in Tuesday.

Tuesday: The same SA checks me in. The same SA (who WITNESSED the problem on Saturday) calls me at 4pm and says the the techs could not find an error code. There's nothing they can do. I speak to the service manager. He confirms their position (that they can't do anything). He schedules me to come back in (forth time) the following Friday so the regional MINI tech can re-diagnose the problem (second time). He also says that I should bring this to the attention of MINI customer service so they can be aware of the situation.

Wednesday: I draft a three page letter detailing the problem, service history, contact info of everyone I've spoken to at the service department, number of days it's been in their service department (25), number of days I've driven it (30), number of times I've witnessed the problem (8), cite the CA lemon law and make my case that this problem has exceeded the number of reasonable repairs, and ask for a replacement or repurchase of the vehicle. I sent them a hardcopy to their NJ address and emailed a pdf of the letter to askMINI.com and cc'd everyone one who has been involved in this problem. If I don't get a satisfactory response by from MINI by next Friday, my next step is to report this to BBB.com. This procedure is spelled out in the warranty manual btw.

I like my car and don't really want to change it but I'm not going to accept a defect to a key safety component of the vehicle. And it's NEW, I shouldn't have to. It's been in the shop three times and 25 day for the same problem! Next Friday will be the forth time. What baffles me is they rely completely on the computer diagnostic system and not on common sense. Why don't they just replace the seat position sensor and/or the seat sensor module?

Sorry for the rant, but helps to vent my frustration. Plus, I don't think any of us should compromise on a key safety feature of our vehicles, even if it's intermittent. My advice to those of you who are still having this problem is to document each visit to the service department, take a pictures of the problem when it's happening (you could do this with your phone camera even), and it wouldn't hurt to bring this to the attention of MINI USA if the problem isn't resolved after the first repair visit. They won't know it's a problem unless other people speak up. Peace.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
tracktoy990
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
So is it the seatbelt light as well as the airbag light, or just the seatbelt light? The airbag light is that one that looks like a pregnant person sitting down and it will show up in the middle of your on board computer, too.

the seatbelt light isnt on for me. it just has the overhead light that says "passenger airbag off" even though there was a passenger in the seat and the belt was buckled. very strange! i will call in to my dealer and ask them about it. will keep you updated!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Otra
6th Gear
trcktoy990, please do report back and I'd urge you to get your dealership to give you a loaner until this is fixed.

kewlby wrote:
I like my car and don't really want to change it but I'm not going to accept a defect to a key safety component of the vehicle. And it's NEW, I shouldn't have to. It's been in the shop three times and 25 day for the same problem! Next Friday will be the forth time. What baffles me is they rely completely on the computer diagnostic system and not on common sense. Why don't they just replace the seat position sensor and/or the seat sensor module?

Sorry for the rant, but helps to vent my frustration. Plus, I don't think any of us should compromise on a key safety feature of our vehicles, even if it's intermittent. My advice to those of you who are still having this problem is to document each visit to the service department, take a pictures of the problem when it's happening (you could do this with your phone camera even), and it wouldn't hurt to bring this to the attention of MINI USA if the problem isn't resolved after the first repair visit. They won't know it's a problem unless other people speak up. Peace.
That is very much an issue - the inability to fix something they really do know is broken. It's happened to me before, too and the explanation I received was that if the computer can't show a code that means the car needs to be fixed (or words to that effect) then the dealership will not be reimbursed by MINI USA, for fixing whatever it is. I've mentioned this before, in the Amber Gear Light Issue thread, and it seems to be a problem in the privately owned dealerships...can't speak for the MINI corporately owned dealerships.

You have to be dogged about it and clearly you know what you're doing. Don't give up, stay on good terms with those you deal with, enlist your MA and sales manager, too.

I couldn't agree with you more about a new car having a recurrent issue that is not be addressed properly. Safety is key.

I feel for you. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:40 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's great to see that MINI is stepping up to the plate with replacements or buy-backs for well documented 'three-strikes' on Sunroof's and 'Park-Locks'.

Would expect that an airbag that is 'off' for your passenger would make a much better reason for buy-back or replacement.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Noodle
1st Gear
The Saga continues...

I took mine in and my SA had them look at it again. It was only 3 hrs out of my day but I would have rather had those back. No biggie. I went back to pick up Penfold and my SA reported they have a few dozen cars with this exact same problem. She placed a call to an engineer for this geographic area, but he is on vacation. She expects a call back next week to see what they can do about this issue. So we wait to hear back next week when I will in all likelihood have to take it in for a 3rd trip back for an intermittent issue. I really do not want to have a buy back or any other solution, I want my Penfold fixed. So far they haven't really tried to do anything other than troubleshoot. Time to start throwing parts at it IMHO.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:23 AM
GregO
4th Gear
airbag light

Just to reiterate...
Please go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ to record this issue on file. Mine still has not been resolved - even had my passengers wiggle around in the seat with the light still on. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen all the time .

Greg

Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
yblaser
1st Gear
In September about a month after I got my car, I had the airbag malfunction light come on (the one in the center speedometer). The dealership replaced the airbag control module and that seemed to fix it. I noticed last week however that if my passenger removes his or her seatbelt neither the seatbelt light comes on nor does the airbag disabled light come on next to the rearview mirror.

So am I correct and that this is not functioning as it should? I don't mind the seatbelt light and bong/chime not coming on and I know some people would kill for this "feature" but I am worried that the passenger airbag may not be functioning even when someone is belted in.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
Just to reiterate...
Please go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ to record this issue on file. Mine still has not been resolved - even had my passengers wiggle around in the seat with the light still on. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen all the time .

Greg
Ok. I submitted my complaint. The automated system does not not give 2009 MCS as an option, only JCW or JCW Clubman. I selected JCW, but in the description of the problem, I stated it's a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

Last edited by kewlby; 11-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Otra
6th Gear
yblaser, I'm not sure that if your passenger unplugs the seatbelt that the airbag disabled light should come on. I would hope that it was reacting to the weight of the person in the seat - not whether or not the seatbelt was plugged in. I'll try to remember to check this out tomorrow, in the mean time perhaps someone else will answer you definitively.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
tracktoy990
2nd Gear
i just took mine into the dealer today. they will be looking at it and trying to see if there were any codes. does anyone know if this problem shows a code in the computer? if there is no code stored, they cant do anything :(

Old 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yblaser
In September about a month after I got my car, I had the airbag malfunction light come on (the one in the center speedometer). The dealership replaced the airbag control module and that seemed to fix it. I noticed last week however that if my passenger removes his or her seatbelt neither the seatbelt light comes on nor does the airbag disabled light come on next to the rearview mirror.

So am I correct and that this is not functioning as it should? I don't mind the seatbelt light and bong/chime not coming on and I know some people would kill for this "feature" but I am worried that the passenger airbag may not be functioning even when someone is belted in.
The seatbelt light should come on and if you drive over ten mph, the gong should sound for five minutes, or until seatbelt is fastened.

The "Airbag-Off" should not light for disconnect of passenger seatbelt at all.

When the seatbelt is fastened and there is less than 80# or so, in the passenger seat, you should then see the "Airbag-Off" Light.

The idea is that there had been injury with a very small passenger from the Airbag.

Last edited by pilotart; 12-04-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
yblaser
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
The seatbelt light should come on and if you drive over ten mph, the gong should sound for five minutes, or until seatbelt is fastened.

When the seatbelt is fastened and there is less than 80# or so, in the passenger seat, you should then see the "Airbag-Off" Light.

The idea is that there had been injury with a very small passenger from the Airbag.
Thanks pilotart for the clarification. I will have to do some more investigation as it seems the seatbelt light did not come on immediately when a passenger was in the seat and the seatbelt was unfastened. I did try pressing on the passenger seat with my hand by myself while stopped at a light. I was able to get the seatbelt light and the "Airbag-Off" light to come on even with the belt unfastened.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tracktoy990
i just took mine into the dealer today. they will be looking at it and trying to see if there were any codes. does anyone know if this problem shows a code in the computer? if there is no code stored, they cant do anything :(
My MINI is in the shop for the FORTH time because "the computer couldn't identify a problem." This time the field rep is going to look at it for the second time. I have documented each time the warning light came on with a passenger in the seat, I have photos, I even had the problem witnessed by a MINI SA between the second and third shop visits. Since when have we allowed a computer to override common sense?

Here's my update: I submitted a formal complaint to mini usa last week. I received acknowledgement of the letter on Monday and they are reviewing the service records. They have until tomorrow to formally respond. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I will file a lemon law claim through bbb.org monday morning, as outlined in the warranty book that came with the car.

At first (second, third...) I just wanted them to fix it. But now, after spending SO much time and effort for repair after repair, I want a new replacement. I paid for a new vehicle and I've gone beyond reasonable with 4 repair attempts and 26+ days in the shop. And the CA lemon law agrees with me.

The staff at the dealership/repair dept. have been professional and cordial throughout the whole process. I do believe their hands are tied, if the all mighty computer doesn't come up with an error code. Knowing what I know now, I would have contacted mini usa after the second visit. When it's brought to their attention, the corporate office has more authority to authorize repairs.

It seems that only a few of us are experiencing this problem. Despite that, it's a major defect in the vehicles safety system that should not be tolerated.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
tracktoy990
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
My MINI is in the shop for the FORTH time because "the computer couldn't identify a problem." This time the field rep is going to look at it for the second time. I have documented each time the warning light came on with a passenger in the seat, I have photos, I even had the problem witnessed by a MINI SA between the second and third shop visits. Since when have we allowed a computer to override common sense?

Here's my update: I submitted a formal complaint to mini usa last week. I received acknowledgement of the letter on Monday and they are reviewing the service records. They have until tomorrow to formally respond. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I will file a lemon law claim through bbb.org monday morning, as outlined in the warranty book that came with the car.

At first (second, third...) I just wanted them to fix it. But now, after spending SO much time and effort for repair after repair, I want a new replacement. I paid for a new vehicle and I've gone beyond reasonable with 4 repair attempts and 26+ days in the shop. And the CA lemon law agrees with me.

The staff at the dealership/repair dept. have been professional and cordial throughout the whole process. I do believe their hands are tied, if the all mighty computer doesn't come up with an error code. Knowing what I know now, I would have contacted mini usa after the second visit. When it's brought to their attention, the corporate office has more authority to authorize repairs.

It seems that only a few of us are experiencing this problem. Despite that, it's a major defect in the vehicles safety system that should not be tolerated.
that is EXACTLY what I am worried about :( I don't think that this problem is going to throw a code in the computer and therefore my dealer won't be able to do anything. I will see tomorrow though when they return it to me... hopefully tomorrow at least.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tracktoy990
My problem was a defective air bag module and there was an error code in the computer.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 AM
GregO
4th Gear
air bag light

Kewlby,

Ranting is what this board is for!!! Sorry to hear about all this, but glad to know you've got your ducks in a row. I commented to my SA that I'll just have to video-tape this b/c as you and others have stated, the computer diagnostics can't record it. Disable the disable feature for all I care - I just want the airbag to work...period! It is a little frustrating when serviceD comments they didn't get a code, so nothing must be wrong. Of course not.

I would hope and expect MINI would honor your request, whichever that may be...be it one last chance at repair (meaning they replace EVERY related component) or simply order you a new vehicle. And I'd hope they extend your warranty for whichever vehicle you keep. Good business is just that...good business.

Good luck and keep us apprised!
Greg

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
But i find if the car is moving it still takes up to a full minute for the system to warn about the seatbelt being disconnected. I actually like it this way as my passenger can actually undo the seat belt and clime into the back seat or get something out of their pocket before it starts going off.

The weight limit sensor will also turn on the "Airbag-Off" light if the seat belt is not fastened with as little as 9 pounds of pressure, or at least it does in my 08

This is just another reason why Children should not sit in the front seat unless it is absolutely necessary.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
GRRRRrrr

Update to my airbag disabled warning light issue.

Forth time in the shop. Today the Field Rep checked it out. No surprise....no error code found. He explained that his diagnostics indicated the vehicle is working "as designed". I asked him if he believed the vehicle was designed such that a 115lbs adult would disable the passenger air bag? He says that the air bag system does not differentiate between adults and children. And he then gives me a print out of page 66 of the owner's manual with the following highlighted:

"The front and side airbags can also be deactivated by adolescents and adults sitting in certain positions; the indicator lamp for the front passenger should change his or her sitting position so that the front passenger airbags are activated and the indicator light goes out. If the desired airbag status cannot be achieved by changing the siting position, transport the relevant passenger on a rear seat."
He used the receptionist as an example, who happens to be the same size of my wife, he said "If the warning light came on with her in the car, I would ask her to sit in one of the rear seats." I kid you not.

"The indicator lamp does not come on as long as a person of sufficient size and in a correct sitting position is detected on the seat...."
He implied that 115lbs, the size of a small woman, may not be the sufficient size to be sitting in the front passenger seat.

It's so absurd, I don't even know what to say.

Next up: The field rep will report this to his manager and the customer relations person for mini usa. I'm supposed to get a call from the customer relations person on Monday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag light?