Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Airbag light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is on took it in today and thier waiting for parts , also an exhaust tip recall ?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I guess I jinxed things. I've been bragging to everyome who will listen how perfect my 1 month old MINI is. None of the problems that so many on NAM complain about. But today on the way home from work the pictogram of that big red egg sitting in the lap of a seatbelted driver came on in my speedometer and on my tach. Also the yellow overhead "passenger seatbelt disable light" also came on. Great. Sounds like a week or two of not having my car while the dealer tries to fix it.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
It shouldn't take the dealer a week or two to fix your car. My dealer fixed mine in a matter of minutes.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I contacted my dealer and they want me to leave it overnight. It's bad enough that that involves driving a couple of hours into NJ to drop-off the car and come home, but the bigger problem is that they don't have a loaner available until October 28th. It looks like my wife is on her own when she rides with me now. Maybe I'll just pack her into the passenger seat with balloons all around her until I can get the car fixed.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 AM
korby
6th Gear
I'm still waiting for parts and driving around with warning lights all over .

Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
I contacted my dealer and they want me to leave it overnight.
I would have asked them "Why? Are their little fairies in the shop that only come out at night to work on cars?"

I made an appointment for 8 AM on a Saturday morning, since I work all week. Then they fixed it and I was on my way. Had they needed to order parts, I would have taken the car home and brought it back another day.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
I'm still waiting for parts and driving around with warning lights all over .
And meanwhile we have to drive around with that stupid pictogram on our tach instead of being able to see the time and temp.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
I would have asked them "Why? Are their little fairies in the shop that only come out at night to work on cars?"

I made an appointment for 8 AM on a Saturday morning, since I work all week. Then they fixed it and I was on my way. Had they needed to order parts, I would have taken the car home and brought it back another day.
They're "very busy". And I live almost two hours away. I probably should've thought this out better when I considered buying a MINI but I was told that MINI's were very reliable. Never expected a car with just 2000 miles to need servicing already. Maybe having owned 7 Toyotas spoiled me.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Trashed
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it just struck my 2009 JCW Mini over the weekend. I also have a two hour drive to the dealer. I called the dealer this morning and they said they would have to read the code before they would ordered an airbag module. They say that there are numerours airbag modules, which depends on option on the car. And they do not have one is stock. So I will have two trips to the dealer with over 500 miles and 8 hours driving time before they get the problem resolved....

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM
healey67
4th Gear
You all seem to make a HUGE deal out of this..... Yes you may have to drive hours round trip, but guess what, YOU bought the car knowing this. MINIs are Great vehicles and I will continue to drive my 2002 Cooper S until I can no longer drive. It may not take them 2 or more trips to fix it. Like other have said sometimes it can be a matter of minutes to fix or sometimes it can take longer. Try to be a little more relaxed, take it in when you can and hope for the best. If it can't be fixed right away, relax you seem to think that all new cars should not have problems. Try and read some other manufactures forums. **it happens, no vehicles are perfect.
Now if they claim to not be able to fix it, then yes raise a stink. But dealers don't stock every single part of a vehicle, thats why they have parts warehouses. There is no way they could hold that type of inventory.
I'm done ranting......

Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trashed, I hear you! It took Mini one week to obtain a new air bag module for my Sunny. I guess that "parts warehouse" just had a run on them when I needed one and had just run out! Hopefully they'll find a quick fix for you at the dealership to avoid the second trip. Do you live 125 miles one way from the dealer? If so, that is a long trip! Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
What about getting the code read by borrowing Auto Zone's free loaner? You could then tell the dealer what the code is by phone...

Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by healey67
You all seem to make a HUGE deal out of this..... Yes you may have to drive hours round trip, but guess what, YOU bought the car knowing this. MINIs are Great vehicles and I will continue to drive my 2002 Cooper S until I can no longer drive. It may not take them 2 or more trips to fix it. Like other have said sometimes it can be a matter of minutes to fix or sometimes it can take longer. Try to be a little more relaxed, take it in when you can and hope for the best. If it can't be fixed right away, relax you seem to think that all new cars should not have problems. Try and read some other manufactures forums. **it happens, no vehicles are perfect.
Now if they claim to not be able to fix it, then yes raise a stink. But dealers don't stock every single part of a vehicle, thats why they have parts warehouses. There is no way they could hold that type of inventory.
I'm done ranting......

I've been waiting a year...seat mat replaced, didn't fix it. Dealer said wait until MINI tells them next step...
You can understand my frustration and yes my dealer is far away, but I have never let that stand in the way. I knew it going in as I drove that far to buy it, but I always get a loaner...ALWAYS...it's in my contract

Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Trashed
2nd Gear
GregsMini,

Yep, 125 miles each direction...

Seems to me a lot of airbag modules going bad within the fist few months

Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Originally Posted by healey67
I'm done ranting......
And while I wait should I be allowing my kids or wife to sit in the seat that may or may not have an operating airbag? The car is less than a month old and it needs to be fixed. That is not acceptable. It's obviously an on-going problem. For car manufacturers safety should be their number one concern. The cars should've been properly equipped when sold.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:02 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
From Fight Club:

JACK
Take the number of vehicles in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement, (C). A times B times C equals X...

JACK
If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

BUSISNESS WOMAN

Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

JACK

Oh, you wouldn't believe.

BUSINESS WOMAN

... Which... car company do you work for?

JACK

A major one.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 AM
korby
6th Gear
Been Waiting two weeks for parts ?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
When my Air Bag Module failed, the dealer told me that the car was unsafe to drive. My car was less than one month old at the time. They would not have returned my car even if I had wanted it! However, since I was being provided a loaner, I did want it back until it was fixed. I'm surprised your dealer is allowing you to drive your car before fixing the problem. I would think there would be a major liability issue if you are in an accident!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
And that's why I've documented all my correspondence with my dealer's service department. They seem a bit blasé about the whole thing but I am concerned about the safety of my passengers. Nobody rides with me until it gets fixed. And in the meantime this customer ain't happy.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
after my fix back in August (go back one page) the lights seem to come on every now and then. Nothing permanent like before, but I do get them every so often ... which makes the whole thing even more strange.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Add me to the list. '09 MCCa, airbag warning light came on on Sunday at a dealer sponsored run. Monday I take car to dealership, who immediately fit me in if I could wait, which I did, they fixed it - or so they thought. They said
"Fault Code 93BF seat position sensor driver side open circuit. Checked connection plug X01159 under seat. Found connector not plugged in all the way. Refasten, clear codes and road test OK."

About an hour ago the damn thing went on again and has stayed on. Am leaving tomorrow for a trip in this car from NY to Annapolis, MD. It does make me a bit nervous.

SA returned call and I'll be bring her back in tomorrow at 7:30AM. Here's hoping for a fast and final fix! I'll definitely let you all know what's what.

Last edited by Otra; 10-29-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Trashed
2nd Gear
My JCW mini needed a new airbag module that they did not carry instock. It was a special order due to the options on the car. Atleast that is what the dealer told me.

I took it in for diagnostics on Friday and they had the airbag module came in the following Wednesday.

My defective airbag module was completely dead. Would not communicate at all.

They had to remove the center console to replace. Then reprogram the car.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM
korby
6th Gear
1 month I'm still waiting for parts .

Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Otra
6th Gear
After arriving at 7:30AM, I'm now back at home two hours later with a loaner MC - thank goodness for my SA George!!!!!!! Gotta run - heading south for a 500 mile round trip to see the offspring in college.

They're submitting a "PUMA".... To be continued!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I had my airbag module replaced in August(see earlier posts) and thought all was well until this weekend. I went for a drive with a friend in the passenger seat. When I started Sunny, the "Pass Air Bag Off" light came on. The light remained on for a few seconds and then shut-off . My Owner's Manual states "The indicator lamp does not come on as long as a person of sufficient size and in a correct sitting position is detected on the seat. The front and side airbags for the front passenger are activated."

Since the light did go out does that mean the passenger airbags are functioning OK?

I did not previously pay attention to the Pass Airbag lamp but it reacts the same way when no one is in the passenger seat. It lights up for 4-5 seconds when I insert the key into the ignition lock. The light then goes out but lights up again for another second or two. The Owner's Manual states "The indicator lamp does not come on if the seat is empty". I know I may be a little bit **** about this but how else do I know if the passenger side airbags are functioning properly?

Does anyone else have the Pass Air bag lamp coming on when the seat is empty and then shutting off?

Quick Reply: Airbag light?