Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
NJP
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
tkwasny--thanks for your support. A couple of points:

You mention that there were changes from 2007 to 2008. Are you referring to the "opening" of the scoop grill? If that's the case, they actually did that in mid-07. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference. And I have 2 friends with '08s, and both have had exactly the same degree of deformation that I have, and that has been shown in the photos of this thread. (Their scoops have been replaced, but I don't know how the new ones are faring.)

My second point is that we can't count on BMW/MINI continuing to support us after the warranty runs out, even though we may report it. A case in point: We also have a 2001 530i. Something went wrong on it--I can't remember what, but it was about $250 to repair. We were very close to the end of the line with our warranty, so I called our service writer and told her about it when I made the appointment, figuring that I would preserve our rights. Didn't work that way. I was told that our car had to be in their driveway BEFORE the warranty ran out, or they wouldn't pay for it. And it was--all of TWENTY (20) miles before the cut-off.

Given the scope of this problem, we might not have that hard-line handling, but I'm not counting on it. I plan to replace it now, at Zippeee!'s next oil change--this week or next--and hope that will give me a chance to make sure the next one doesn't go bad before I'm out of luck.

BTW, does anyone know this--if the scoop is replaced, is the "grill" replaced also? Mine has the totally closed type.
The grill is NOT replaced. Had mine replaced yesterday & it was the same grill which surprised me. I asked the dealer if the new scoop would fare better than the old one & he said yes, the new scoops are made of a different plastic. So time will tell. I for one will go back for a new scoop if needed.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJP
The grill is NOT replaced. Had mine replaced yesterday & it was the same grill which surprised me. I asked the dealer if the new scoop would fare better than the old one & he said yes, the new scoops are made of a different plastic. So time will tell. I for one will go back for a new scoop if needed.
Interesting. I did go ahead and had Zippeee!'s scoop replaced last month, and my SA said "it came in with the closed scoop." So, I don't know what the deal is. BTW, he took the grill out entirely for me (I had asked what the ramifications would be if I opened it entirely), and it's still hot, but I don't think as much. He did give me the grill in case I wanted to put it back in. I'll need to get some black spray paint because part of the metal shows and it's body color (red for me).

Time will tell. I'm not particularly concerned now.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottab36
I recently had the hood scoop replaced under warranty with the CF scoop by simply paying the difference.
What was the $$ difference?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:43 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Anybody having this problem with an '09 yet?

How many miles does it take for the scoop to begin warping?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by n733lk
Anybody having this problem with an '09 yet?

How many miles does it take for the scoop to begin warping?
That may depend on where you live and the climate. Here in So Cal I have seen warped scoops on the show room floor

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I've heard days to months, but I don't think it's necessarily a regional (temperature) thing--from what I've read over the past couple of years, time might relate to the heaviness of the foot. I'm in a hot part of Texas, and it was 2 or 3 months, as I recall.

And your dealer might be lazy, especially if cars are at a premium. That certainly was the case when gas prices were higher.

n733lk--have you seen anything yet?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
I've been keeping up on all these various threads and nobody seems to have a DEFINITIVE answer to this problem. Last night, I drilled out the stock grill, AND bent down the sheet metal beneath the scoop, effectively more than doubling the available air flow in and out of the scoop. Hopefully, this will help.

Wrap v. M7 Shield??????? After a recent thread re the Shield, I'd be concerned about the diverted heat melting the top of my engine cover.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Well, as for my new scoop, it hasn't changed at all since it was installed. Don't know if that's because of the cooler weather, or what. One thing I have noticed is my new scoop stands above the level of the metal bonnet. The old one didn't, which suggests there might be a manufacturing variation there.

Personally, I still think the warping is caused by a combination of engine heat, solar heating during hot days, and deformation stress caused by how the scoop is mounted. The issue certainly has become rather quiet through the winter months, which would support my theory; take one of these factors away and there's no warping.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
Personally, I still think the warping is caused by a combination of engine heat, solar heating during hot days, and deformation stress caused by how the scoop is mounted.
Don't forget lead foot. When this first came up, I got the impression that this was a factor, too, not just the amount of time the car is run.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
for what its worth.. Here is my update.. on both of our Turbo models.
Day one of ownership.. R56 removed honeycomb insert. 1.6 years 22k miles, liviing in the HOT arizona sun.. No warping
R55 dremmeled out remaining honeycomb insert holes on day one of ownership.. 1 yr old this week..18k miles.... no warping..

Old 04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Just out of curiosity, how how did you remove the R56 honeycomb insert?

I would think that unless you're drag racing down the same street you're parking the car on, there will be enough time spent at low power/low speed operation to let the turbo cool off before you park it. You've got a lot of air flowing past the turbo on both hot and cold sides, so it's going to change it's temperature based on how hard it's working pretty fast. Based on old Lycoming aircraft operating instructions, turbos need about 30 seconds of idle operations to normalize at their idle temperatures after high power operations. And those were aircooled turbos without the forced liquid cooling that the Mini turbo has.

Last edited by Ken G.; 04-25-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
Just out of curiosity, how how did you remove the R56 honeycomb insert?

I would think that unless you're drag racing down the same street you're parking the car on, there will be enough time spent at low power/low speed operation to let the turbo cool off before you park it. You've got a lot of air flowing past the turbo on both hot and cold sides, so it's going to change it's temperature based on how hard it's working pretty fast. Based on old Lycoming aircraft operating instructions, turbos need about 30 seconds of idle operations to normalize at their idle temperatures after high power operations. And those were aircooled turbos without the forced liquid cooling that the Mini turbo has.

once you remove the scoop from the hood, it's just held on by 4 screws.

I just had my hood scoop replaced as well and I never shutdown right after driving it hard. I always let the car idle for about a minute before shutting down and it still warped. Once I got the replacement I removed the grill completely. We'll see if that prevents the warping or not.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
I just had my hood scoop replaced as well and I never shutdown right after driving it hard. I always let the car idle for about a minute before shutting down and it still warped. Once I got the replacement I removed the grill completely. We'll see if that prevents the warping or not.
I have heard a number of people mention the fan running on after the engine was shut off. I've never heard this. I've had a number of cars over the years that had electric fans, and I've heard some of them continue to run after the engine was off; my MINI has never been one of them. Could this be the difference between warp and no-warp? I don't know. I can say, though, that there is a 5 mile stretch of mostly straight highway leading from the interstate to my subdivision. It's boring, and there's a fair amount of traffic. There is no incentive or opportunity to do anything other than motor on at about the posted limit (55). In other words, there are no particular demands on the turbo.

At the end of that highway, I have another 3/4 mile of slow subdivision driving leading to my house, posted at 25 mph. I shut my car down in the driveway, with no additional idling. The fan doesn't continue on. And the scoop melted. This is on a week-3 2007 build, with a completely closed honeycomb.

When I got the new scoop, my SA thought it would be open, but it wasn't. He went ahead and gave me the honeycomb and the screws. It's now totally open, and I haven't seen any warping. We're now heading into the hottest months, though, so we'll see what happens this summer.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 AM
bartski
2nd Gear
My 09' with 10Kmiles has a slight depression/warping in the center of the hood scoop. If you look across the surface, there are stress cracks in the paint.

I plan to call the dealership this AM for an unrelated issue (AC is not working!) and am going to ask about replacement. Also, I want to do some prevention measures and don't want any warranty BS. Summit Racing sells sheets of adhesive thermal pads that I would like to put on the hood above the turbo and I want the "ok" before i do it.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Is yours open or closed? This is the way it starts, and may not progress--haven't heard about stress cracks, though. I'd absolutely get a new one under warranty. Unfortunately it's not a one stop operation--has to be painted first. My dealer had to see it first, THEN order & paint. Good thing I'm only 20 minutes away.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
azminiman
5th Gear
The heat issue is not so much while driving, as it letting the heat out after you stop.. If you want to test the theroy, before you remove or dremel out the vent, drive for a while, turn off, feel how much heat is escaping.. then remove, and try agian... when heat RISES off the turbo it has to go some where..while the car is moving, there is some circulation under the hood. But when stopped and shut off, the heat just rises.. has to get out some way... or dissipate over time..the turbo gets hotter for a few minutes after shut off before cooling down.. wanna see some thing cool, at night, run the car hard, then in a dark area, stop, turn off, open the hood and look at the turbo glow a reaaaaal bright orange... see how long it lasts..

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
My scoop has that "dip" in the middle, so I thought it was sagging due to the heat, but after I popped out the scoop, the part that dips is actually where the anchor is. So it made no sense to me that the middle would sag; it should be the area where there's no support under that sags. So based on my observation, the heat is causing some sort of expansion and it is, in reality, making the scoop "buckle" and pushes upward. But since the middle has the anchor that holds it down, it would make it appear that the middle is sagging.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Interesting. If that's the cause for the sag appearance, I would think that would be easy to fix. Wonder why it hasn't happened.

Then again, what about all those temperature readouts that were posted early on? (And what about my ability to cook bratwurst on the turbo?)

Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
my "dip" was actually to the right of the anchor and it was a dip. the rest of the scoop height was even with the hood line. the dip was about 1/8" lower than the rest.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
bartski
2nd Gear
mine's a dip too. AND the mount for the top anchor is quite malformed from the heat. It's not so much the dip that bothers me, as the spiderweb of heat stressed paint. As of now it's not peeling or fully cracked through, but it will get there.

Once it's replaced, i'm ditchin' the grille immediately

Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
I "removed" my grill last week. Is this a confirmed fix for the "melting" problem? I'd sure like to stop checking my scoop everytime I get out of my car.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
bartski
2nd Gear
I don't know if it's confirmed, but it releases alot of heat. I ordered a new one in the supposedly thicker plastic. I told the service guy I wanted to run it without a grille and he said no problem.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bartski
I don't know if it's confirmed, but it releases alot of heat. I ordered a new one in the supposedly thicker plastic.
Huh? Aren't you getting a free replacement under warranty? Why do you have to do the ordering?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
I just felt mine today as the temps are starting to go up. I can't see anything yet but when I run my hand accross the top gap with the hood I can feel a slight gap I have a little under 2000 miles. How do you get the thing out to cut out the extra holes?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
There is one screw beneath the scoop, in the center of the bonnett. This secures the scoop to the hood. Once this is removed, the scoop will "pop" out; there are a number of connectors, but they simply pop out with a little pressure. Once the scoop is removed, there are just 4 little screws attaching the grill to the scoop. It will be obvious at this point.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: I think my hood scoop is melting...