Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need help with overheating/thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a new kid in town...

Originally Posted by agile_moments
where did you get the fan/how much? Further...where is this fan located?
selling OEM parts at below dealer pricing, used to go by gnatster, I'll try to dig up his new name but he's not yet listed in the vendor directory....

And the fan looks like a computer pancake fan under the car right behind the oil pan. Can't miss it. Two nuts or bolts, and one connector and it's out.

Matt

Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
PM him at gnatster

it's still on the list, and tell him Matt sent ya! He's a good guy and is just starting up his business. Give a NAMer some business if you haven't bought it yet....

Matt

Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay, I'll send him a message. thanks guys. Is the fan I'm going to get a newer model fan that is better than the one from the 02's that had no protection against debris and all that?

One more, after I replace the fan, what's my next move? Will I need to replace any relays? Or will they still work?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Hey It should be the new improved fan version and they don't sell the old one anymore, and yes two screws and connector plug and play...... replace fuse if blown again

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
fuse or relay? Just asking, if its a relay I'll go ahead and order those from gnatster at well. If a fuse, I've got plenty of those.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Also, just to clarify...the fuses and relays are they IN the fuse box that is next to the air intake box, or is it UNDER. If someone wouldn't mind snapping a picture and showing me where they're located it would be awesome, I'm a very visual person...haha

Old 02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Just buy the fan install it and your are done, don't worry about the relays, and again replace the fuse if it's blown

Old 02-08-2008, 05:22 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
ordered the fan, thanks for the help, I'll update it when I get the fan in next week

Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
jlloyd
2nd Gear
coolant leak

So...I overheated once, added coolant and it hasn't happened again BUT, just this morning I noticed a puddle of coolant from the right hand side of the car (passenger side in the States). I can't see where the leak is coming from but under the bonnet, coolant is DEFINITELY pooling just below the pulleys, serpentine belt, etc. The Thermostat is on the Driver side, the coolant pump is on the Driver's side of of the supercharger so...maybe a hose from the radiator is leaking....?????? Anyone with any experience with this? The car has 95K on the odo. and this is the first time I've had a cooling/leaking issue.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Got the fan in the mail yesterday, thanks Obnxs. I'll be putting it on tomorrow afternoon. Will post results shortly.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
replaced the fan, still no dice. I guess I need to check the two relays...can anyone confirm what size relays go for the PS fan and the cooling fans?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Not surprising..

If your fan toasted, then something else was bound to go.

First off, check fuses. There are little pictures on the fuse cover about what fuse does what, and use an ohmeter to make sure they are good. I think there are little pictures for the relays as well. The relays have a pretty typical spade on them, and you can make a jumper to just make a permanant "on" in it to see how the voltage goes.

Anyway, now is the time for standard electrical troubleshooting techniques....

Slow, but they work....

Matt

Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
And get the dealer to change the wiring to the fans!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
I don't go do the dealer for anything. I'll replace the relays and report back.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:34 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
And why not......they have TSB on it. No cost to fix and then you won't have to worry about damaging your engine.

Replacing the relays will not stop this from happening again. Just get the dealer to do the TSB.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
just go to the dealer...why is that always the answer...The closest dealer is 175 miles from me, and they are jack asses. I go to school full time and work full time. My schedule is very limited, and I prefer to do all of the work on my cars myself. It's the only way to learn, thanks though.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
OK......do you not understand???

The dealer will rewire the PS fan so it and the radiator fan are not on the same fuse. Thus preventing the engine from overheating if the ps fan gets jammed and blows a fuse. What is so difficult to understand about that. This is not something that you can do yourself. Why screw around with it anymore?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Good thing you know thats not something I can't do. While we're on the topic of not understanding, I clearly stated why I'm not going to the dealership. So, if you don't mind, unless you can contribute to my thread just take your business elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Sorry man.......didn't mean to sound like I doubted your abilities.

The dealer will do this and it will then still be under a warranty. Just replacing the relays is not going to fix this problem. But of course it is your car and you can do whatever you want to it. Just hate to see guys waste time and effort on something that really won't do any good.

I live over 200 miles from my dealer, but I still will make the effort to have them repair stuff that is defective from MINI.

Hope things work out.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
jlloyd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by agile_moments
just go to the dealer...why is that always the answer...The closest dealer is 175 miles from me, and they are jack asses. I go to school full time and work full time. My schedule is very limited, and I prefer to do all of the work on my cars myself. It's the only way to learn, thanks though.
Well, there you have it..."go to the dealer" is always the answer so, stop asking questions. By the way, why don't you just have the dealer fix it? Okay, I'm kidding, I swear!!! I was just trying to lighten things up...m'kay?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
donjulio
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
And why not......they have TSB on it. No cost to fix and then you won't have to worry about damaging your engine.

Replacing the relays will not stop this from happening again. Just get the dealer to do the TSB.

What does TSB mean?
Anyone have a list of "TSBs" so I can go to the dealer and do it all? My standard warranty is over, would that be a problem?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Technical Service Bulletin. These are bulletins sent out to the dealers about fixes for cars w/o actually doing a recall. Most are only applied if a customer complains about a problem, like the rust problems some have under the door weatherstripping.

There used to be a site that you could get all of the TSB's issued by BMW/MINI, but BMW demanded that they be removed. So unfortunately there is no data base available that I know of that has these bulletins available. Best source for more info on these is now, unfortunately, the forums.

At this point I would get the car into the dealer when you can and get them to fix this problem and then try to develop a good relationship with you SA and see if they are willing to reveal any other TSB's that might affect your car.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
This will get you summaries for free

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

I did find that one was missing from the database, but that's rare as all manufacturers are required to submit the TSBs to NHTSA....

Matt

Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I don't believe that is a complete list. I was unable to find anything on the door rust issue.

Also there was nothing about the software issue regarding emmission control/vapor nor the one about the gas gauge "ding" and the power steering fuse problem is not there.

Or are the problems I am listing not considered TSB's?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
jsf252
1st Gear
Fuse location

My '03 MCS (115k) is doing the same thing. I've just noticed now that the fan(s) are not coming on when sitting. I used the diagnostic test (thanks DR. Obnxs) and The car will heat past 105°C without a fan coming on. I of course cooled the engine with a short drive afterward, but it just shows that the fans ARE NOT coming on. I haven't checked the PS fan yet, but I will. I bought the car used, so I dont know if the wiring has been touched.

My question is: I've read through every post on this thread and I've seen the question as to the fuse location asked 50 times, and no difinitive answer given as to its location. So here goes nothing....

Is the fuse for the PS fan/cooling fan UNDER the fuse box or inside it? If there is some fuse I need to know about that is UNDER the box, please let me know what it is.

I would really like to get this solved before weather gets any warmer.

Thanks in advance,
Josh