Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
oneway
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rysani
I am in Edmonton as well. The cold weather start and throttle body freezing issue appears to have been fixed as they have been testing a new part for the past 2 months. I got off the phone with Mini Canada (they phoned me back after talking to my dealer) and BMW is expediting my part to the dealership and will be ready for pickup next week. They mentioned it affects Mini's on short drives, but it shouldn't happen as it was a lack in testing and is no excuse, hence why it went back to R&D and now we have the new throttle body fix. As for the odd electrical issues I haven't had any of those even in -30C.
Edmonton Mini appears to be telling you a different story than they told me. My car is waiting for an unspecified part from Vancouver (I think it is the throttle body) that will be in today and everything will be fixed.

Edmonton Mini recommends plugging my car into a trickle charger every time I park it to avoid the electrical issues that accompany the cold start issues. Kind of a half-assed fix, like treating a brain tumor with asprin.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oneway
Edmonton Mini appears to be telling you a different story than they told me.
It sounds like everyone is getting a different story. I've already had all the fixes they've put out and none of them work. A few posts above here states that the replacement intake manifold is the working fix but I've had the same part number in my car since December and still have the frozen throttle issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
frankofthenorth
1st Gear
I would not say as a blanket statement MINI's are not good in the cold - - I have an '05 Cooper and it starts reliably in -30F, albeit with a little complaining right off... does an S model burn oil since it lubes the turbo?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
oneway
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by frankofthenorth
I would not say as a blanket statement MINI's are not good in the cold - - I have an '05 Cooper and it starts reliably in -30F, albeit with a little complaining right off... does an S model burn oil since it lubes the turbo?
Yeah your mini has a chrysler made motor that seems to be quite a bit better than the german engineered ones that the 07's have.

Just called Mini, the part I am waiting for is apparently a fuel pump... I'm sure that'll solve the problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ekg
A few posts above here states that the replacement intake manifold is the working fix but I've had the same part number in my car since December and still have the frozen throttle issue.
Assuming you're referring to my post with a part number in it... I didn't say it was "the working fix", just that it was what was done to my car.

The parts guy, who knows what he's talking about, said he has no say in what parts come in. The problem gets entered into their PUMA system, and some part arrives later on. They can't say "no, not that part, the other redesigned intake manifold", unfortunately.

Too bad I cannot make the problem reappear at will... as it is I just keep waiting to see if the throttle body will get frozen up again or not.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Rysani
1st Gear
Oneway - I have the new throttle body fix coming from Vancouver, I hope yours isn't just a fuel pump. The part I have coming is what BMW Canada and USA have been testing in cars in Manitoba since mid - January with no issues. BMW has just started to ship these parts since the test cars have been working. I don't even have a plug-in on mine, but that wasn't the problem for me it was the frozen throttle body. Mine was fine all through our terrible November and half of December.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oneway
Edmonton Mini appears to be telling you a different story than they told me. My car is waiting for an unspecified part from Vancouver (I think it is the throttle body) that will be in today and everything will be fixed.

Edmonton Mini recommends plugging my car into a trickle charger every time I park it to avoid the electrical issues that accompany the cold start issues. Kind of a half-assed fix, like treating a brain tumor with asprin.
Hmmm...I don't think our 2007 MCSa has a trickle charger...or any plug in for that matter. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I guess I'll have to check the owners manual again.

That said...I hope someone here in Edmonton gets this new throttle body installed soon...before it gets back to 0 on the weekend. Good luck :P

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
I'm in Calgary and this just happened to my '08 Cooper S Clubman today. I hope you Edmonton guys are right, as my dealer told me that the "tested in Manitoba" throttle body was not conclusively fixing the problem. Apparently some cars with the test part were still getting the CEL.

Fingers crossed for you. Hope I don't get it again...

Peace!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Rysani
1st Gear
Mine is being installed next week, I'll keep my fellow Edmontonians and I guess Calgarians =) posted. Hopefully your Calgary dealer is just being a pessimist. Looks like the weather is holding between -12 and -5.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
Mine is being installed next week, I'll keep my fellow Edmontonians and I guess Calgarians =) posted. Hopefully your Calgary dealer is just being a pessimist. Looks like the weather is holding between -12 and -5.

Great! Can you post the specific part number they replace for refrence?

Also if possible a pic of any hose re-routes as some have mentioned new hoses.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Rysani
1st Gear
I can post the part # for sure, i'll see what I can do about the pics. Update: BMW phoned me and my car is ready to go, i'll picking it up today.

Last edited by Rysani; 02-26-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
I can post the part # for sure, i'll see what I can do about the pics. Update: BMW phoned me and my car is ready to go, i'll picking it up today.
Same here....will post part number when car is picked up. Keeping fingers crossed.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
Manifold part number

My car is now said to be repaired - I got the call this afternoon. I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Part number was provided to me: Part# 98120009036

I will post pics tomorrow (unless they are the same as others post before then.)

My fingers are crossed and I am hoping for a week of really cold weather to test this thing. My wife (rightly) thinks I'm crazy.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
Hey, I'm in Calgary and I I have had the same problems as other Canadians here. I have a 2007 cooper S with just under 60k on it. So last week I brought it in and I have had the new throttle body installed since friday last week. And...... Sadly this morning -24 @-31 with wind, my CEL went crazy and was shutting off and turning on every few seconds for a few minutes. Then after work today, the battery seemed dead (via radar detector saying so), my car wouldn't start for about 10 minutes. Then started up fine, and everything is back to normal (for now). It's a shame that this is happening so often with so many people.

Scott.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally, I would be one to be extremely upset with anyone who even hints at wanting cold weather, but under the circumstances, another week or two of at least -15C highs would be nice, just to see if any of these fixes work!

However, if it is something to do with the PCV valve (as mentioned previously), I doubt a new throttle body will help. I hope I'm wrong, though!

Good luck, all!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Rysani
1st Gear
I got my car back today with the new intake manifold from 02/25/09 no idea what the part # is but here is what my service bill says:

Job#1: Scanned Found Jammed Throttle Body, Removed and Cleaned..Intake Manifold, Intake Tubing, Valvecover, Intercooler.. Replaced Intake, And Reinstalled Parts, Cleared Faults.
0000555, 2FRU. 1112691, 9FRU. 1161551, 13FRU. 1161662, 13FRU.
1161665, 4FRU. 1751550, 8FRU. 1199000, 7FRU.
Defect, 1011000500.

Sublet:
Job#1 02/25/09 Updated Intake.

Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Welps....gf got the car back from Edmonton Mini. The car seems to be driving fine under the frigid weather here currently (-20C). She has driven the car short distances...start/stop (2:30PM - 3:00PM - 10:00PM), with seemingly no issues (except for a stall at start up at 10:00PM). That said, here are the details from the invoice:

PUMA MEASURE NO. 22372829-03
L/O 1161551 13FRU
D/C 1161123700 (Is this the part #???)
PO# 36969

I hope this helps. Please feel free to comment. Keepin' the fingers crossed.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After having the throttle cleaned, the intake manifold replaced, and a new throttle body put on in less than 3 months' time, I have filed to enforce the lemon law and MINI of Peabody is buying back my car. Unfortunately the usage charge ends up being about $0.26/mile, and with 21,800 miles on it, that's a considerable loss (>$5000). As much as I'd love to have another MINI, I can't get one since even the new '09s are having this issue. I'll be opting for a WRX instead.

I would encourage anyone who qualifies for their own state's lemon law to think about enforcing it. If enough vehicles are being returned, MINI is sure to get it's act together (hopefully).

Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Rysani
1st Gear
Well it would appear that Mini is getting their act together, as they have a brand new manifold design now that is just being shipped and implemented in their cars. Sounds like the changes they have made have been working so far, I just had the updated intake installed (again the one just released not a month old one or what not), and I will be post if any more problems. With three months testing in cold weather on this re-designed part I am hopeful I will have no more problems.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
So far so good

I have the car back. It has been out of service for 9 weeks.

The new manifold is installed, as well as a new valve cover. The only visible difference I could see is the hose system. It is cold and sunny in Winnipeg, so the pics are a bit washed out. I shall try to attach them.

I am thoroughly impressed with the service I received - the car was immaculate, and all service was brought up to date (change brake fluid etc).

It runs well - I think is sounds a bit different, but it has been a while so I am not certain.

Hope the engine keeps running - it is nice to be driving a Mini again.

Attached Thumbnails Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available-mini-manifold-feb-2009-001.jpg   Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available-mini-manifold-feb-2009-002.jpg   Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available-mini-manifold-feb-2009-003.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
Those hoses are weird, I saw your photos and ran out to my car to see. I don't have those and I don't know where your hoses are going. What got replaced on mine was Intake manifold (#11617570041 and #13712753078). I got those #'s off realoem. There were on part #'s on my receipt, but I can clearly tell whats new in my engine bay.

Scott.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
The hose comes off the valve cover (the big arch), and then splits into four (horizontally) - each being fed into the individual intakes.

Looks a bit like a radiant heating manifold for in-floor heating.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
rjb5
1st Gear
This looks like exactly what my SA was describing to me a few weeks ago, (original post: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5-post225.html). He said this is the first "fix" that seemed really successful, in which the EGR gasses are no longer routed through the throttle body, but instead split into 4 and routed right back into the intake.

Let's hope it works out!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
zminitech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlackinBlue
My car is now said to be repaired - I got the call this afternoon. I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Part number was provided to me: Part# 98120009036

I will post pics tomorrow (unless they are the same as others post before then.)

My fingers are crossed and I am hoping for a week of really cold weather to test this thing. My wife (rightly) thinks I'm crazy.
That's not a valid part number, there is no group 98, the p/n would start with 11 for engine.

Originally Posted by NeO-AZN
Welps....gf got the car back from Edmonton Mini. The car seems to be driving fine under the frigid weather here currently (-20C). She has driven the car short distances...start/stop (2:30PM - 3:00PM - 10:00PM), with seemingly no issues (except for a stall at start up at 10:00PM). That said, here are the details from the invoice:

PUMA MEASURE NO. 22372829-03
L/O 1161551 13FRU
D/C 1161123700 (Is this the part #???)
PO# 36969

I hope this helps. Please feel free to comment. Keepin' the fingers crossed.
That is the defect code the warranty office uses.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
That # was the one the service manager provided before i got the car.

The service report ( as I have just reviewed) returned with the car has this part # 11-61-7-595-078.

I am only the sub-messenger.

Still cold in Winnipeg.

Quick Reply: Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available