Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Update: Inexpensive PS pump/fan fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to the replacement bearing that is used in the fan:

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...=695RS-Bearing

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
03MINICooperS_66
Neutral
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Here is a link to the fan duct from the convertable that would help prevent debris from getting to the fan
After seeing how low this duct mounted, I decide to just fabricate a screen only, from some scrap expanded metal stucco lath, and be done with it.

Attached Thumbnails Update: Inexpensive PS pump/fan fix-ps_fan_grille.jpg   Update: Inexpensive PS pump/fan fix-ps_fan_grille_side.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How freely should the fan turn by flipping it with a small screwdriver. Mine works when electrified, but every time I change my oil I turn on the key and A/C (no engine running) to verify the fan runs. But it does not freewheel much at all, it slows down very fast.

On a good or new one, how long does it continue to spin when you give it a flip?

YD

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM
03MINICooperS_66
Neutral
The PS fan, being a DC motor, won't completely freewheel due to the pole magnets. If you spin it slowly, you should feel a "bump" approx every 60 degrees. It will therefore not continue to spin, very long, after you "flip" it with a screwdriver.
How are you getting the fan to come on with key on, engine off, and no radiator fan running? Mine only operates with engine running, and radiator fan running, which is normal.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you for the info. I get mine to run by turning on my A/C. I'm sure the A/C forces on the radiator fan, which in turn allows or forces the PS fan to run.

Next oil change I plan to pull the fan and try to see what condition the bearings are in, if possilble.

I am also investigating the web to see which blown fuse indicator circuit would be best to monitor the fan fuse. I'll keep working on that one.

YD

Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
GTV
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Here is a link to the fan duct from the convertible that would help prevent debris from getting to the fan

Has anyone tried this product - PS fan duck & panel (factory upgraded version)?

It says it can be applied only to 02-06 S Hatchback & 04-08 S Convertible - NOT applicable for Mini Cooper only?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just bought the spal fan from a1 electric paid for drop ship cause out of stock but happy with price nonethe less

Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
bhk1004
1st Gear
so im hearing someone decided to completely buy out spal on this part...

Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bhk1004
so im hearing someone decided to completely buy out spal on this part...
i got the call and the fans are back ordered till july lol . i told him that's fine i'll still take it . got the feeling someones gonna jack the price up . a holes .

Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
bhk1004
1st Gear
anyone have another option for a cheap fix? i liked this fan since it seemed slightly more powerful than the older ones.... but yah my GF needs one like yesterday so i need to pick one up. another good option would be great... if not im gonna have to end up getting one from mini...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
try the directory venders mini car parts or something is usually competitive .

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here's a thread I came upon while researching DIY power steering pump fixtures.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1155462

Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Rufurt
Neutral
My PS pump failed on my 03 MCS (~120K miles, so way out of warranty) in April of 2008. Had the PS pump replaced at a non-Mini garage. They did a great job at 75% the Mini cost.

When that happened I took off the ps fan and cleaned the gunk and debris out of it. It still worked. As a precaution I bought the SPAL VA32-A101-62A fan to keep as a spare.

With this wave of hot weather I thought it would be prudent to check the ps fan again. checked it tonight and it was gritty. Took it out and cleaned it till it spun freely and reinstalled the it. Didn't have the time or soldering tools to put the new fan in tonight. I tested the old fan by turning on the car and turning on the AC. The old ps fan didn't come on after letting the car run with the AC for 2-3 minutes.

Should I wait longer with the AC on for the ps fan to turn on and spin up, or is it pretty instantaneous? If it doesn't come on tomorrow I will pull the fan and test it on a 12V power supply to see it spins up.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Rufurt
Neutral
Cleaned and bench tested my original ps fan. Still works. So I reinstalled it on the car. Don't see the need quite yet to put in the SPAL replacement fan.

I would still like to see the fan spin up while on the car. That would set my mind at ease.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
zuneuser9
Neutral
Does any one know if u can bypass the pump altogether and just have manual steering. I ve seen this done on early model bmw.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tennis_man
Here is a link to the replacement bearing that is used in the fan:

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...=695RS-Bearing
Link is dead - would this work?
http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan..._Code=bearings

Also, what about mounting a traditional mechanical pump where the A/C comp goes? I'm taking mine out anyways, and was going to put one of those mounted deflector pulleys in its place - why not install a mechanical pump there to take its place?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
I believe Moss Motors makes an electric, remote-mount p/s kit for MGBs. Not cheap, but as far as I know, requires no fan and so opens up some mounting possibilities. Just a thought.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Please remember the Factory fix!!

I strongly recommend installing a new fan for $130...I got mine from the great folks at WayMotorWorks, then get the Factory Upgraded Power Steering Fan Duct & Panel...$80.00
Then you will never have to worry about road grime, sand, dust, ice chunks, etc destroying your fan...and eventually you PS pump again!!

Just putting a screen and or a deflector over or around the fan WILL NOT keep it out of the crap from getting to your fan..it will prevent plastic bags, etc from jamming it.....just like most of the aftermarket solutions.

If you can drill 2 hole in the PS fan mounting shield...you can install this in 10 Minutes...max. I did. Should pay for itself ...very quickly!! Especially if it saves a $500+ PS pump or a 130+ fan.

The fix is simple, eloquent, well engineered, and factory tested. Pretty cheap too!!

"There have been reports of Power Steering Pump failure for higher mileage Mini Coopers. Moss now has the only BMW Mini Cooper factory solution to extend the life of the power steering pump - a special ducting system to supply much needed air to the power steering pump fan. Drilling required."
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...79&SortOrder=1

I'm sure a few of our vendors must stock this part. It may not be sexy, or make your car go faster, but it makes it go less expensively (saving you from buying expensive parts), longer, and more reliably. Tough to beat that with a stick!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-31-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added moss link
Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"There have been reports of Power Steering Pump failure for higher mileage Mini Coopers. Moss now has the only BMW Mini Cooper factory solution to extend the life of the power steering pump - a special ducting system to supply much needed air to the power steering pump fan. Drilling required."
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...79&SortOrder=1

tis a bit of a crime that this part wasn't stock on the hardtop minis but was on the drop tops. why? does fit just perfectly on my 06 MCS hardtop FYI

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
It fit perfectly on my early '05 s. The only mod I had to do to make it fit was drill 2 holes in the metal fan holder/shroud. Newer cars are delevered with the 2 holes in it. Also if you have replaced you ps fan with the assembly...usually 180 vs the 130 dollar fan only part, you should already have the holes. You simply remove one plastic panel from the underside of you car....two half turns of a philips srewdriver, and then put on the new piece. Attatch 4 clips, half turns with a philips, and you are done. I beleve this kit was standard on all the cabrio's, and S's with the auto transmission. Not totaly sure, but it seems to fix all of our ps fan problems, and hopefuly extend the life of the power steering motor. Heck, mini even announched they had made a change in later model mini's to fix the ps issue, and the power steering pump update was listed to be limited to sound/vibration reduction, so I reason, THIS is the change...the duct panel.
Not sure if it is mountible to just-a-Cooper.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM
anyheck
2nd Gear
Regular cooper too?

I know that the ducting system is designated for "S only", but is there a reason that this won't fit/work on the regular Cooper?

It seems like it would be beneficial for everyone not originally equipped to keep the PS fan operating.

I have a 2003 btw if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Sten

Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
jdonaldlukas
3rd Gear
Does anyone know if it's okay/not okay to drive without the PS pump in place while it's away being remanufactured?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jdonaldlukas
Does anyone know if it's okay/not okay to drive without the PS pump in place while it's away being remanufactured?
It's perfectly fine. I did it for 2+ weeks while mine was out. I actually got quite use to it (sans parking).

Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM
ikappedkermit
1st Gear
I replace the PSP on my '05 MCS over the weekend - the directions at the beginning of this thread are extremely accurate... the only thing I would add or stress is the need to slot the bolt hole on the subframe - it would greatly ease the re-install and any subsequent removal of the pump... all else is very straightforward.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it that a majority of pump failures are associated with high temps in the pump? If the PS fan goes out, then chances are high that the PS will go out as well. (at least in AZ.) Has anyone thought about using a fan that moves more air, like a blower or using an oil cooler for the PS fluid and running to the front of the car?

Quick Reply: Update: Inexpensive PS pump/fan fix