Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power steering fan engine cooling fan help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fan engine cooling fan help

well im having a problem that arouse about a week ago when i parked my car....the power steering fan would not shut off....i just replaced the power steering pump on the car as my old one failed....i just started driving the car again yesterday and the power steering fan is still staying on and now the enging cooling fan is not coming on at all....i checked the 3 fuses for the fan and the one f05 5 amp fuse was indeed blown. i am out of ideas what to do and going to be trading in the car early next week....someone please help.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
ttt

Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, although it went away on its own after a week. I believe it is a relay that is attached to the fan. I think the fan has to be replaced to fix it. Good luck. Just disconnect the negative battery when you park to keep it from dying.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
just replaced the fan bout 20 k ago...but why would the rad fan sstop workin....i also noticed when i giggle the harness goin in to the rad fan the power steerin fan shuts down

Old 05-31-2007, 03:48 PM
mylittlemini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know theres been previous posts about this. i think they found that the p/s fan and the cooling fan are tied together in the wiring harness. it sounds like you have a short (blown fuse) or loose connection in the rad fan part of the harness and thats why the p/s fan shuts down when you wiggle the harness.
check around i remember other people having this problem

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
i tried a search i can really find anything about the power steering fan that keeps running and the cooling fan does not come on....the rad fan assembly is fairly new as i replaced it no to long ago for a fauly thermostat..i got the problem of the fan not turning off about a week after i had the power steering go on me.....then it sat for a week replaced the pump and power steering is all good now but now i got this.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
i need a quick kinda fix for this as i am picking up an evo this week.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 AM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
anyone

Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
I would guess the fan/pump again-or maybe the relay in the fuse box (20k miles isn't "just"-it might have failed again)

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fi...stays-why.html
Just to clear up this thread...

After all that messing about last saturday, I dissconnected the battery in the boot, and connected it up again for monday morning. Took it straight to the dealer, and they immediately replaced the Power Steering Pump and Fan. Apparently the problem was the switch which was stuck in the on position. Apparently BMW are having so many problems with these, that they are replacing the whole unit. Thank you 'helicoper Pat'...you were spot on.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=fan+fail
Check the fan relay in the underhood fuse box. Pull the relay marked in the diagram with a fan out of the box and see if the fan stops. If it does, take one of the other large, similar relays from the box and put it in place of the fan relay. If the fan starts again, it means that the circuitry controlling the fan (namely the ECU) is faulty and needs attention. If it does not come on, tap the original relay a few times with a screwdriver handle and reinstall it in it's original position. If it starts again, tap it a couple more times with the screwdriver. If it does not shut off then, replace that relay (you can find this relay at many well-stocked auto parts stores, it's fairly common).
a couple other threads you might want to read

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 AM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
yea i swapped out the realays in the f03 fuse box..the power steering pump was just replaced....last week.....as far as the radiator fan....i guess i could have failed but i am under the impresion of when the rad fan fails its usually the thermostat that goes and it usually goes open and the fan will stay on....also when i giggle the harness the power steering fan cuts on.....even when i pull the 5 amp fuse for the power steering fan it stays on....i am thinking i got a short or a crossed wire some where or something.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
Do you have a wiring diagram and a voltmeter? You could always start tracing wires, disconnecting the harness till you narrow it down.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
ilscoobydooll
3rd Gear
yeah i do but dam that takes a hell of a long time.