mcs in CA. dealing??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:28 PM
k20mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcs in CA. dealing??

ok i got a question for people that have allready been through this.i want to buy a base model mcs and i think their around 21k and change.now i understand that everyone has to order them anyways.so my question is will they still deal evean tho they dont have the car?? i am wondering this because everytime i have bought a new car they have had it in stock and i think its much easyer to deal with them when they have the car in stock.you know because the car is sitting their and they want to make money.so let me know what deals you guys have been able to make. thanks

Old 11-27-2004, 04:43 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Most dealers in California are charging $3000+ over MSRP for MINIs. No one is selling for less than MSRP. If you live in California your best option for getting a MINI quickly and at MSRP is to purchase from someplace like Classic MINI in Ohio and have them ship the car to you.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Old 11-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to buy in CA?

Take a look at this thread running in MINI Talk right now https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=33673

The latest post says there's a new dealer in So Cal (South Bay MINI) who has 50 cars, selling at MSRP. If that's true, get on a plane to LA, because the experience of 99.9% of CA buyers wanting a MCS has been pay $2,500 over MSRP or buy it out of state. The 2 MINI Dealers in CA selling at MSRP (East Bay in Pleasanton is one) have 8 to 12 month waits if you wanna' buy at MSRP.

It is rare that a dealer will sell for less than MSRP...... very rare, but not unheard of. MINI of The Hamptons has, since in the winter months, there are more MINIs than people on Long Island. But in CA the experience has been that you pay over or wait....take your pick.

That's why so many of us have gone to Classic MINI and Julie in Mentor, OH.

Happy Hunting!

Charlie

Old 11-27-2004, 05:15 PM
k20mini
2nd Gear
well i dont care to wait i just will not pay over msrp more like under,you guys dident understand my question.it had nothing to do with wait.i just wanted to know if people were able to haggle with them.is this bmws ploy to make money is to just trickle the cars out slow so people have to pay over msrp.if so they are doing a good job,the car has been out sence 02 and they are still going for over msrp

Old 11-27-2004, 05:22 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
There just simply aren't enough cars to meet demand.

I hate this comparison, but I'm going to make it anyway.
- 1st year of the New Beetle, VW brought 80,000 cars to the U.S. market. Similar numbers in the following years.
- 1st year of the MINI we saw about 27,000 cars. It took MINI almost three years to bring a total of 80,000 cars to this market.

I'm not trying to say that demand is exactly the same, just that for launching a high demand car, there simply hasn't been enough cars to keep pace.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
MINI is producing at full capacity for their Oxford factory. They're selling more than they anticipated. It's supply and demand in CA and the West Coast. It doesn't matter if you want to wait or not; CA dealers don't need you as a buyer. So, if you want a deal on a MCS below MSRP, get on the phone and start turning on the charm, 'cause you ain't gonna find a CA dealer selling you a car for less than MSRP. You may get a set of floormats, but you're not gonna get much more.....if you do, the more power to you.

Head down to the new dealer in Torrence and test out your negotiating skills................but don't get your hopes up.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:55 PM
k20mini
2nd Gear
i would head down to the new dealer but i know they wont have a base mcs.and do you guys know what the base msrp is on the mcs?? and if anyone knows what and what dosent it come with?? thanks

dan

Old 11-27-2004, 06:25 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Some of your questions can be answered nicely here:

www.miniusa.com

Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 PM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k20mini
well i dont care to wait i just will not pay over msrp more like under,you guys dident understand my question.it had nothing to do with wait.i just wanted to know if people were able to haggle with them.is this bmws ploy to make money is to just trickle the cars out slow so people have to pay over msrp.if so they are doing a good job,the car has been out sence 02 and they are still going for over msrp
DiD's right - the factory is going around the clock, including weekends. They've even got housewives and students in there working weekends. (Source: New Mini, Graham Robson.)

i would head down to the new dealer but i know they wont have a base mcs.and do you guys know what the base msrp is on the mcs?? and if anyone knows what and what dosent it come with??
As to whether they would have a base one on the lot, I have no idea. But 50 MINIs is a lot of MINIs, so it seems entirely possible to me that they might. You'd better get on the phone - nobody is selling MINIs off the lot in California for MSRP. Those are going to get snatched up right quick!

For a list of options, go to MINIusa.com. There's a "Build your own MINI" link that will show you all the options. Click through all the pages without selecting anything (except no-cost options, like a non-metallic paint, roof color, etc.). At the end is a long PDF file you can download that will printout all your specs and give you a list of all the options available, whether you picked them or not.

Good luck. GET ON THE PHONE!

Old 11-28-2004, 12:02 AM
theworks
1st Gear
Note:

Go in and buy at the end of the mouth. Most of the dealers are under the gun to sale a set amount. Thy have a quota to meet.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k20mini
....so my question is will they still deal even tho they dont have the car??
LOL!!

Dude there's no "dealing" on an untitled MCS, esp in CA. The only exception might be a dealer demo, and not much there.

Welcome to the wacky world of MINI, where the average dealer incentive is something like 12 bucks, lowest in the industry. This is one reason why there are no deals (although I have heard some cold weather dealers are knocking a nickle or so off cabrios.) Jimbo

Old 11-28-2004, 10:13 AM
theworks
1st Gear
deals

On the last day of the mouth is the best time to buy a mini. The dealers are tring to make there quota's .good luck

Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 PM
greenphantom
1st Gear
Long Beach Mini typically sells for MSSRP, unfortunatly because they seem to be the only dealer that does this in So Cal, there may be a waiting list. I hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:29 PM
USAMINICOOPER
3rd Gear
Welcome to the wacky world of MINI, where the average dealer incentive is something like 12 bucks, lowest in the industry. This is one reason why there are no deals (although I have heard some cold weather dealers are knocking a nickle or so off cabrios.) Jimbo
I don't know anything about the "average dealer incentive is something like 12 bucks,"
But each dealer gets around $2200 for the sale of a basic MINI S.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:51 PM
k20mini
2nd Gear
12 bucks huh do you have to give them your grilfriend also? where do you get the 12 bucks idea from??

Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Happy Hunting!

Good Luck!........you are not going to get one for less than MSRP even at the end of the month......simply because there aren't any to be had, the only way you are going to get a car under MSRP is if you work for BMW/MINI. If you dont want to pay MSRP or above start calling different states.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Gotta agree with DiD: contact Classic MINI in Ohio and pay for shipping. OR as others have suggested, call the new SoCal dealer and see if there is a stock MCS on the lot. :smile:

I have purchased two MINIs, a Cooper and an S, from Long Beach MINI. It was strictly MSRP, and the best car-buying experience ever. I had to wait approximately 3 months from the date of ordering to taking delivery. (Was on the wait list for MINI #1 for about 2 months before being able to order. For MINI #2, I placed my order Jan. 13, 2003, and took delivery on April 4, 2003.)

Hope that helps.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Clover

Old 11-28-2004, 07:04 PM
dancefreak
Neutral
I was at South Bay Mini this afternoon and can confirm that they sell for MSRP...or at least the cars on the lot were and I was told they wouldn't be marking up in the future. The cars on the lot DO have lojack and other extra stuff that's probably undesirable to many but you can order to your specs w/ a 1000 deposit. They just opened the dealership on Friday and have sold over half of the 50 cars they started with as of early this afternoon. The reason why they had so many cars at the getgo was because they opened two weeks late. Apparently they are also slated to receive 150+ additional cars before the end of the year. I could be wrong, but I don't think they took orders before opening, so I believe most of their new cars should be available for sale in the short term.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
You can get deals....

Hi all,

My neighbor bought a demo off the lot for a discount. I don't know the final price, but it was less than MSRP. Enough less that he went for it. Red/red MCS with a bunch of options.... Nice car.....

Matt

Old 11-29-2004, 07:59 AM
plantain
2nd Gear
Another vote for Long Beach MINI.

I just took delivery of my Cooper from Long Beach MINI. As advertised, it was MSRP, and it took me about 4 months on the waiting list to place my order, and from order to delivery it was 1 week shy of 3 months.

They do not try to hard sell you on additional items, and they were very professional the entire time. I believe the wait is getting shorter, so if you are not willing to go through any of the trouble of ordering a car out of state, and want a stress-free experience, I recommend them.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Hi all,

My neighbor bought a demo off the lot for a discount. I don't know the final price, but it was less than MSRP. Enough less that he went for it. Red/red MCS with a bunch of options.... Nice car.....

Matt
After test driving the MINI and having one salesman drive the MCS we were in to redline at 200 miles in 2 gears... I'd expect that you could get a discount. Those demos are not babied like ordered cars during break-in.

Patrick

Old 12-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Paddy O
Neutral
I recommend buying out of state. Give Mini of St. Louis a call or visit www.miniofstlouis.com . I got mine there and drove it back to San Diego, but I could have had it delivered to my door for about 700 bucks which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 5 grand that they are marking up here. Not much of a wait either. If I would have bought my Cooper S in San Diego it would have been close to or over 30,000 instead of under 25. Plus the sales staff in So Cal know that the demand is high, so they're not as helpful as Mini in St. Louis was for me.

I also second the thought on the demo's. After being in on two different test drives and seeing how the sales people drive the car, I wouldn't want it. If someone drove mine like that I would smack them. It's like they're trying to break it.