Mato
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lovely :D in case I will be attending UT A :D

Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 AM
SignHere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all! Just an official update on the MINI of Austin dealership. (I'm the Internet Sales Manager at the BMW of Austin Center.) We hoped to be open by December, but mother nature isn't cooperating. It looks like it will be January-February before the doors open. I will post info regarding the Grand Opening here, so follow this thread. Should be a good party! The Late's never do anything half-way. As evidence, you are all invited to our 2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo unveiling tomorrow night (Thursday October 15th 7-9PM) at the BMW dealership. Free food, beer and wine!!! Be sure to stop by and say Hi to me, Chris Markey!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 AM
mrgentleminh
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, Chris

Do you know how one would be able to apply to work at Mini? there's nothing on the website about job opportunities, and I've already turned in an application through BMW for Mini. Not sure if that's the only way or if there's a different way.

Thanks
Minh

Originally Posted by SignHere
Hi all! Just an official update on the MINI of Austin dealership. (I'm the Internet Sales Manager at the BMW of Austin Center.) We hoped to be open by December, but mother nature isn't cooperating. It looks like it will be January-February before the doors open. I will post info regarding the Grand Opening here, so follow this thread. Should be a good party! The Late's never do anything half-way. As evidence, you are all invited to our 2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo unveiling tomorrow night (Thursday October 15th 7-9PM) at the BMW dealership. Free food, beer and wine!!! Be sure to stop by and say Hi to me, Chris Markey!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
graphicwave
Neutral
Thanks for the 2 cents! I've never heard of the hill-holder and that seems pretty damn useful! I had a Saturn standard and hills were stupid to be at a red light with. Especially if you had someone on your ***. I will check out consumer reports, that's a good idea.

I took an iPhone pic of the opening soon banner, too and sent it to my girlfriend...we're such dorks.

Originally Posted by Tiebreaker
Here's my 2 cents worth - I've had my 2009 MCS since last December and I've not had one bit of trouble with it. I've had many new cars and this is the only one in which I didn't have to take back to the dealership for some adjustment or another.

I don't know about JD Power. I just don't put my trust into a commercial rating service - my go-to rating service is Consumer Reports. The frequency of repair record of major systems of the 2008 and MC and MCS (the latest models they've received feedback on) are almost all "much better than average".

Although I don't have a commute, I've had to contend with Austin traffic and driving my stick has actually made me enjoy the overall driving experience more. I think it makes you more "connected" as a driver. And afterall, I'm sure one of the major attractions about the MINI for you is its fun-to-drive factor.

One feature that does relieve a lot of irritation in driving a stick is the hill-holder. I've driven in the hills of San Francisco without such a feature and applying and releasing the hand brake can be a pain in the rear!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Grant2244
Neutral
MINI of Austin Finally.

Unfortunately my check engine light came on today so it looks like I am set to trek down to San Antonio.

Chris any news on if I will be able to get a Diesel MINI in the near future?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by graphicwave
Hey everyone! I'm also looking forward to the new dealership as I can't friggin' wait to get one. I have a 2005 Nissan right now and the inside is falling apart.
Question... JD Power rates the Mini Coopers pretty low in terms of powertrain quality. Are they really that bad? Anyone have any regrets on getting their Mini? Needed to get theirs fixed 10 times? JD Power full of crap? OH and does driving a standard suck in Austin traffic, or is it not really that bad? I'm thinking the only way to go with a Mini is a standard! Thanks for any input!
Graphicwave, I think MINIs are less reliable than a Honda or Toyota but better than a VW/Big Three on the quality scale. The premium level service provided (4 year warranty, plus loaners) helped alleviate some of my other concerns. They are also on Consumer Reports recommended list.

As for manuals in Austin, I've been driving a manual in town now for several years in rush hour traffic without problems. I've lived in some of the worst traffic areas, so to me, Austin is not that bad (vs DC, SF, ATL). The MINI is much better than my old car as the clutch has a good weight without being too difficult, and the drivetrain forgiving on rev mis-matching. Automatics are of course easier at 8AM but far less fun otherwise.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Tiebreaker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by graphicwave
Thanks for the 2 cents! I've never heard of the hill-holder and that seems pretty damn useful! I had a Saturn standard and hills were stupid to be at a red light with. Especially if you had someone on your ***. I will check out consumer reports, that's a good idea.

I took an iPhone pic of the opening soon banner, too and sent it to my girlfriend...we're such dorks.
Sorry, MINI calls it Hill Assist. It's a feature of the DSC system where you get two seconds to get your foot from the brake to the gas pedal and let the clutch out. It really makes a big difference - try it, you'll like it!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
SignHere
Neutral
Originally Posted by mrgentleminh
Hey, Chris

Do you know how one would be able to apply to work at Mini? there's nothing on the website about job opportunities, and I've already turned in an application through BMW for Mini. Not sure if that's the only way or if there's a different way.

Thanks
Minh
Anyone interested in applying for positions at MINI of Austin is welcome to come by BMW of Austin and do so. We will put them in the hands of Chuck Jett our General Sales Manager or David Parker our Service Manager and they will contact you at the appropriate time. Thanks for your interest!

CM

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
SignHere
Neutral
Originally Posted by Grant2244
MINI of Austin Finally.

Unfortunately my check engine light came on today so it looks like I am set to trek down to San Antonio.

Chris any news on if I will be able to get a Diesel MINI in the near future?
Hi Grant,

Sorry about having to go to SA, but in 3-4 months that will be a distant memory!

As for diesel, I feel your pain. Nope nothing yet on the Mini Diesel, although MINI is exploring all sorts of new exciting drivetrains.

I have ordered my wife a new X5 xDrive 35d and it will be arriving in about 2-3 weeks! The demos I have driven in the 335d and X5d have been incredible machines with TONS or torque and a diesel MINI would be an AWESOME car for someone like me who drives 50 miles a day. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
SignHere
Neutral
You know, while 'MINI' of you already have your own MINI gracing your garage, driveway or parking space. Others of you have been waiting for the chance to own one of the very first MINIs to arrive at MINI of Austin. Well...here's your chance!

Now legally, officially and not wanting to break any rules. I can't take any money from you until we have our license. BUT, nothing stops me from ordering exactly the MINI of your dreams now and having it here waiting for you to purchase, and then motor off in, on the very first day we are open! (wink-wink, non-nod, say-no-more, say-no-more!)

Email me directly at cmarkey@penskeautomotive.com or go to our link here- http://www.bmwofaustin.com/mini-of-austin.aspx

These cars will start being built in December with delivery in late January-February time frame (Hopefully depending on weather!!! ) but what a great way to start the year!

We look forward to helping you realize one of your dreams and making you a part of our MINI family soon!

Last edited by SignHere; 10-20-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
You know, while 'MINI' of you already have your own MINI gracing your garage, driveway or parking space. Others of you have been waiting for the chance to own one of the very first MINIs to arrive at MINI of Austin. Well...here's your chance!

Now legally, officially and not wanting to break any rules. I can't take any money from you until we have our license. BUT, nothing stops me from ordering exactly the MINI of your dreams now and having it here waiting for you to purchase, and then motor off in, on the very first day we are open! (wink-wink, non-nod, say-no-more, say-no-more!)

Email me directly at cmarkey@penskeautomotive.com or go to our link here- http://www.bmwofaustin.com/mini-of-austin.aspx

These cars will start being built in December with delivery in late January-February time frame (Hopefully depending on weather!!! ) but what a great way to start the year!

We look forward to helping you realize one of your dreams and making you a part of our MINI family soon!
Thanks for the update. Speaking for myself, the most important thing MINI of Austin ,once they open, can do is provide exceptional customer service with competitive prices.
Driving to San Antonio is no big deal to me as they provide loaners, but pricing and doing the job right the first time goes a long way.

I have a list of JCW mods I want to do but am waiting on you guys to open so I can get a competitive price quote and compare it to S.A.

Best service and price wins ALL of my future business.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LOP
Thanks for the update. Speaking for myself, the most important thing MINI of Austin ,once they open, can do is provide exceptional customer service with competitive prices.
Driving to San Antonio is no big deal to me as they provide loaners, but pricing and doing the job right the first time goes a long way.

I have a list of JCW mods I want to do but am waiting on you guys to open so I can get a competitive price quote and compare it to S.A.

Best service and price wins ALL of my future business.
They provide loaners? Is this something new?

It will be very easy to compete with Mini of SA's service department. I have nothing positive to say about Mini of SA on any level, especially service.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by whoapower
They provide loaners? Is this something new?

It will be very easy to compete with Mini of SA's service department. I have nothing positive to say about Mini of SA on any level, especially service.

Well, that is where we differ....have had nothing but good service and loaners, although they still can't fix the air bag thing.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Galactor
2nd Gear
Yesterday I saw a construction next to the BMW dealer. Is that where they plan to build the Mini dealer? As of today, can we take the Mini for service at the BMW dealer or we have to go to San Antonio?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Galactor
Yesterday I saw a construction next to the BMW dealer. Is that where they plan to build the Mini dealer? As of today, can we take the Mini for service at the BMW dealer or we have to go to San Antonio?
You can take it to the BMW center, but you will be charged like a normal shop. They cannot honor warranties at this time. When the dealership is completed, it will also have a full service shop where your warranty and service needs will be taken care of.

At the moment, you must go to Mini of San Antonio. But, I do advise you to wait for the Austin dealership to open up, or to take it to Fort Worth, Houston, Dallas, or anywhere but that dealership.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Galactor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by whoapower
You can take it to the BMW center, but you will be charged like a normal shop. They cannot honor warranties at this time. When the dealership is completed, it will also have a full service shop where your warranty and service needs will be taken care of.

At the moment, you must go to Mini of San Antonio. But, I do advise you to wait for the Austin dealership to open up, or to take it to Fort Worth, Houston, Dallas, or anywhere but that dealership.
LOL, it seems everyone hates the SA dealership.

According to the dealership where I'm picking the MCS from, I have warranty through BMW until Nov '10. I guess I'll ask them more details this Saturday when I travel to Dallas for the pickup. Have you read any ETA's as to when they expect the dealer to be up and running?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
The SignHere fellow is a rep from the adjacent BMW dealership which will own the dealership. He said Jan/Feb. While there appears to have been a bit of activity recently in construction, only framing is up and there is no asphalt for a lot. On the other hand, they can take preliminary orders but can't deliver. So hopefully early next year.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Galactor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by skimmilk
The SignHere fellow is a rep from the adjacent BMW dealership which will own the dealership. He said Jan/Feb. While there appears to have been a bit of activity recently in construction, only framing is up and there is no asphalt for a lot. On the other hand, they can take preliminary orders but can't deliver. So hopefully early next year.
Yep, I confirmed from BMW of Austin that the ETA is around January time frame

Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Galactor
Yep, I confirmed from BMW of Austin that the ETA is around January time frame

Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM
SignHere
Neutral
Just as an update, Mother Nature has not been kind to our time-line. We're hoping for late February for our grand opening. I'll keep you posted here!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Galactor
2nd Gear
Just as an update, Mother Nature has not been kind to our time-line. We're hoping for late February for our grand opening. I'll keep you posted here!
I was hoping to get some warranty service done here in Austin, but I got quite a few things I wanna fix so I'm going to travel to Dallas on Monday.

Thanks for the update though. I have nothing but good things to say about BMW of Austin, so I'm pretty confident you guys will provide the same quality of service to Mini owners.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is very cool. I just hope it all stays on track. (Subscribing to thread...looking forward to when dealer service is available locally -- we're a two-MINI couple.)

Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 AM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Thx for the updates, y'all.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Galactor
2nd Gear
OMG!!! I really hope they open the Austin dealer ASAP.

I drove last night to Dallas to get some warranty service done on my car today. Based on the customer service and the quality of the job, I don't even want to imagine how bad the San Antonio dealer is.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
joemudge4
Neutral
I'm so glad this is going to happen soon. I had my first experience with the San Antonio dealership last week. Not that it was all that bad, but it wasn't all that great either.

Coming from a subaru, I always received top notch service from Austin Subaru. First and foremost, I could always have a chat with someone that knew what they were talking about, and who actually loved subarus. Whether it be chatting about performance parts, or preventive maintainace, or diagnosing a problem... whatever... I always left there with the confidence that my car was in good hands. If they found a problem, or a potential problem, they'd take me back and show me what was going on and explain it. They were proactive without being pushy or trying to pad the bill. And they TALKED TO ME about it.

San Antonio took all freakin day to change a thermostat and the oil. And I'm not really sure they even changed the oil. It looks a little dark and smells like gas... and they didn't reset the service interval... and there isn't a drop of oil spilled anywhere... so I'm kind of doubting it. Also, for $150, can't you check the air in the tires and fill up the windshield washer fluid? I guess they checked the air filter, the box wasn't put back on correctly. It was just kind of sitting there. But they really had nothing to say to me, other than "they replaced the, uh, ther-mo-stat." (She was friendly and kind, but she had no idea what a thermostat was.) Other than that, the coffee, wifi, and lounge were fine enough.

I sincerely hope that the new Austin Mini strives for exellence and not the bare minimum. And please, put some poeple up front who know the car!!!

Quick Reply: New MINI dealership in Austin, TX