Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Amazon pop ups

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:23 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
guys.. its really simple to get rid of these for good

*install the browser plug-in 'Ghostery' .. it auto-blocks ad trackers and background browsing. I am using it right now, on Firefox..and its blocking 16 active ad trackers from this site.

**you can also use the 'Ghostery' browser, its available for every flavor of device. You will NEVER get pop ups. NEVER!

Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
For some this may sound crazy but hearing that some ads have the html code written in a way that is causing the popups. Me, the resident old coot here with my trusty old MS laptop, I do not get anything.

Makes me think of the Three Days of the Condor.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
For some this may sound crazy but hearing that some ads have the html code written in a way that is causing the popups. Me, the resident old coot here with my trusty old MS laptop, I do not get anything.

Makes me think of the Three Days of the Condor.
You are not the only old coot around here. I am sitting at a 10 year laptop right now. No problems.

But I do like browsing on my iPad. Tonight I tried a suggestion to clear Safari's history and cookies. The popup came back, twice as bad, if that is possible. Before I did that, i would get the pop-up once and a while. Now I can't get on NAM at all. The Safari pop-up block was on prior to this and appears to have been no help. Also, it is not just my iPad; it is my iPhone too.

Why just NAM and why just Apple?

I have seen cornjuice recommend Ghostery several times on several other threads. Is there anyone else out there using it?

And cornjuice - Could you tell us what the screen shots you posted came from? They seem to be off a desktop or laptop running Windows. Any idea how well Ghostery works on Apple products?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
You are not the only old coot around here. I am sitting at a 10 year laptop right now. No problems.

But I do like browsing on my iPad. Tonight I tried a suggestion to clear Safari's history and cookies. The popup came back, twice as bad, if that is possible. Before I did that, i would get the pop-up once and a while. Now I can't get on NAM at all. The Safari pop-up block was on prior to this and appears to have been no help. Also, it is not just my iPad; it is my iPhone too.

I have seen cornjuice recommend Ghostery several times on several other threads. Is there anyone else out there using it?

And cornjuice - Could you tell us what the screen shots you posted came from? They seem to be off a desktop or laptop running Windows. Any idea how well Ghostery works on Apple products?
I ended up downloading norton anti pop up on my iPhone. So far so good. It’s free in the App Store.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

I know they have an apple browser, or at least capable plugins for them. I have Windows on all my apple devices..so can't really comment there.

My screenshots are taken from desktop running win10. I use ghostery on every system at home including the kids rigs. I use ghostery browser for phone. I have never received any pop-up on NAM or otherwise. I do not believe in Anti Virus software at all, and have not used any for over 20yrs now. Ghostery has been the best safety/privacy tool I have ever used..and it's free. If you don't like contributing your analytic data to them, just click the opt out during the install.

try it..youve nothing to lose..only gain. 😊

Old 03-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I ended up downloading norton anti pop up on my iPhone. So far so good. It’s free in the App Store.[/left][/QUOTE]

I just tried Norton Ad Blocker (didn't find anti pop in the App Store). Even after "Clear history and Website Data" I still get the amazon pop up. This is on iphone 8 running iOS 11.2.6 in Safari. So far, I've been able to use the Puffin Browser with no pop-ups for NAM or any other site. Puffin user experience, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
It could be that Amazon and Apple mainframes are becoming sentient.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Rodichok
I ended up downloading norton anti pop up on my iPhone. So far so good. It’s free in the App Store.
I just tried Norton Ad Blocker (didn't find anti pop in the App Store). Even after "Clear history and Website Data" I still get the amazon pop up. This is on iphone 8 running iOS 11.2.6 in Safari. So far, I've been able to use the Puffin Browser with no pop-ups for NAM or any other site. Puffin user experience, however, leaves a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

You’re right it is norton ad blocker. you have to go into your settings and enable it for it to work.

Ad blocker installation instructions for ios

Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ah ha. That was it. I had neglected to go to Settings-Safari-Content Blockers and turn it on. Steps 7,8&9 https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us. That seem to be the trick. I was able to type and post this from Safari. Yay! Thank You so much!