Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

What are your thoughts on political or campaign sigs on NAM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Frankly, yes I feel a knot in my stomach every time I see something promoting this moron.
It immediately makes me think of his swagger, his bravado, his remarks like
"you're either with us or against us" and
"bring 'em on" and
"he tried to kill my Dad" and
"mushroom cloud"...

Cowboy remarks like this make me sick to know that people are dying every day because of his arrogance. So, yeah I don't WANT to be reminded of this stuff when I'm reading posts that aren't in the "off topic" forum. Nor do I want to be reminded of any Democratic candidate.

As long as sig pics aren't obscenely huge, I really don't care what people put on them. It's a quick snapshot into the personalities that make this site great.

Being offended by a political sig pic is like being offending by a person in an elevator holding an unlit cigarette in their mouth. It has no offensive capablilites other than how you perceive it to be.
So if some dirtbag decides he wants to put pictures of aborted fetuses on his signature just to make his little point, that's all fine and good with you, eh? I completely disagree with you that it's just about perception. With all due respect to Mark, if I ran this place the rule would be, "make it MINI related or lose it". The off Topic forum is the place for political stuff.

*sigh* Now I need to consider finding some equally off subject signature picture to use for my signature.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:09 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
>>
As long as sig pics aren't obscenely huge, I really don't care what people put on them. It's a quick snapshot into the personalities that make this site great.
>>
>>Being offended by a political sig pic is like being offending by a person in an elevator holding an unlit cigarette in their mouth. It has no offensive capablilites other than how you perceive it to be.
>>
>>So if some dirtbag decides he wants to put pictures of aborted fetuses on his signature just to make his little point, that's all fine and good with you, eh? I completely disagree with you that it's just about perception. With all due respect to Mark, if I ran this place the rule would be, "make it MINI related or lose it". The off Topic forum is the place for political stuff.
>>
>>*sigh* Now I need to consider finding some equally off subject signature picture to use for my signature.
>>

I'm just being honest by saying that a signature doesn't offend me. It must be genetic.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Meneee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Frankly, yes I feel a knot in my stomach every time I see something promoting this moron.
>>It immediately makes me think of his swagger, his bravado, his remarks like
>>"you're either with us or against us" and
>>"bring 'em on" and
>>"he tried to kill my Dad" and
>>"mushroom cloud"...
>>
>>Cowboy remarks like this make me sick to know that people are dying every day because of his arrogance. So, yeah I don't WANT to be reminded of this stuff when I'm reading posts that aren't in the "off topic" forum. Nor do I want to be reminded of any Democratic candidate.
>>
>>
>>
>>Being offended by a political sig pic is like being offending by a person in an elevator holding an unlit cigarette in their mouth. It has no offensive capablilites other than how you perceive it to be.
>>
>>So if some dirtbag decides he wants to put pictures of aborted fetuses on his signature just to make his little point, that's all fine and good with you, eh? I completely disagree with you that it's just about perception. With all due respect to Mark, if I ran this place the rule would be, "make it MINI related or lose it". The off Topic forum is the place for political stuff.
>>
>>*sigh* Now I need to consider finding some equally off subject signature picture to use for my signature.
>>
Dude or Dudette I would go with you on the no politics on a mini site if you weren't so darn LOUD about your hatred for GWB. It is obvious that you can't stand the man and as such anything that possibly promotes him drives you nuts! Just be honest and admit it, if it were a sig line promoting Gore or Clinton you would be fine with it. Just because YOU do not like the subject of the sig you flame on it and want to ban it. Typical left wing liberal, "agree with me or you are a moron or evil" BS. I don't believe you for a moment that its just that you don't like politics here, you just don't like politics that you don't like here. Nothing personal and what color is your Mini?

Old 11-19-2003, 08:51 PM
rfibanez
Banned
hear hear, finally someone who calls it like they see it!

:smile:

Old 11-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Oh really? If it's because I'm a "liberal" (you say that like it's a bad thing), why wouldn't I just put my own Clinton picture on the signature instead of urging that politics don't belong here?

It's no secret that I have no respect for President Hee-Haw, but that doesn't mean my way or the highway. Are you even reading what I'm writing? I said it slowly, now you're attacking the messenger instead of listening to my message. It's so hard getting through to some people. Maybe caps and different wording will help you understand for the 3rd time:

POLITICAL CAMPAIGN STICKERS OF ANY KIND ARE A DISTRACTION FROM THE PURPOSE OF A CAR ENTHUSIASTS FORUM.

Did you see the three words int he middle that say OF ANY KIND? That should help you sort out the request. Do us all a favor too, pal. Don't put words into my mouth. I never said anything close to "agree with me or you are a moron or evil". You have a serious comprehension problem if you extrapolated THAT from my suggstion that this kind of political crap shouldn't be welcome in sigs.

I never made a personal attack on a forum member like you have. I never called someone "typical conservative" nor did I ever say I don't like politics. I love politics, but not 24/7. When I'm thinking MINI I'm not wanting to think about the rest of the world. By that measure this forum is a retreat of sorts. It's real easy after the fact to say "Oh, you would have...(fill in the blank). If you simply can't accept the sincerity of my suggestion that it isn't approporaite for ANY political statement, then that's you're problem, not mine. If that's truly how you feel then nothing I say will convince you because your mind is already made up.

BTW: "Miss Kensington" arrives Saturday and she's Indigo Blue/White w/Union Jack, Lapis Blue, Premuim, Sports, Cold, GPS-NAV and R90 wheels.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pivotal moment in MCO history.... LizzyBobio and I AGREE!!!

Old 11-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Meneee
2nd Gear
This is exactly the response I expected. I almost wrote one myself to see how close it would be. I did not "personally attack" you or anyone. Read what I wrote without your agenda tied to it and YOU will get the point. If you think the title "left wing liberal" is a bad thing thats your hang up not mine. If you want to call me a "typical conservative" OK it does not bother me. I won't "insult" your level of intelligence by saying I will right it BIG or slow as I know you are smart enought to understand my point, I just think you don't care enough to consider another view point because it doesn't fit into your world order. Calling the President names won't get anybody to listen to you, its a turn off. If you want to have an intelligent discussion then have one without the name calling and labels. You just exemplify my point, If it doesn't fit your view then its "President He Haw, he is a moron and stupid". Just like TV, if you don't like whats on it, turn the channel or turn it off". You don't need to read any posts by anybody who has a sig line you don't like just move on. Its the same old story, targeted tax breaks, live like I say and you can keep your money, think like I think and your ok, if you don't then you can't say it or show it, if you do then we will try and stop you. I can assure you that I fully understand your view, again I would agree with you if you had just said "Hey I think political sig lines do not belong here". You didn't, you went further and I just want to hopefully have you consider other points of view and we don't need to read your insults about our President when in the same breath you preach to us about non political issues on a Mini forum. Be consisten or at least be honest.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Meneee
2nd Gear
>>Pivotal moment in MCO history.... LizzyBobio and I AGREE!!!

Just so its clear, I was responding to Kurtster not Omtoast, I agree with you Omtoast, let it all go and Motor on Man.
:???:

Old 11-19-2003, 10:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>Just so its clear, I was responding to Kurtster not Omtoast, I agree with you Omtoast, let it all go and Motor on Man.
>>

Cheers!
Clover

clover@northamericanmotoring.com | "Wicked Wanda" '03 All Jet Black MCS!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:17 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe we can make it where everyone has a different photo of MINIclo in their signature. Problem solved!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:28 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
I cannot be bothered to read through each of the 5 pages of this thread but what I will say is this:
This is one place I can come to get away from all the politics going on right now. Its getting boring and I want to get away from it all. I know politics is important and all that but lets keep this site fun. Have a seperate thread for it if some people haven't had enough, but it causes nothing but arguments. Don't have it in banners or sig's. Pleeeeeeaaaaasse!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:38 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Maybe we can make it where everyone has a different photo of MINIclo in their signature. Problem solved!
Works for me!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:50 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>Maybe we can make it where everyone has a different photo of MINIclo in their signature. Problem solved!

She is the one below on the left Bob.
She's always on the left.
Tee,hee!

Old 11-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
As long as the sig is within the site guidlines ya got to let it go, or change the site guidelines. If you dont like someones sig or pic, pass over it, dont read what they are saying. just my take, when I dont like a TV program I turn it off. If I dont like a post or sig, I avoid it. just my .02

Old 11-20-2003, 06:19 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
There are some people in this thread who really need to grow up....

Yes this is someone's site and they can make up the rules as they see fit. However, those rules allow someone to post political ad campaigns in their sigs. Don't like it, go start your own site. It's only an issue if you make it an issue.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:41 AM
countrym
6th Gear
SOMEBODY LOCK THIS THREAD, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 06:53 AM
2minis
6th Gear

Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>Maybe we can make it where everyone has a different photo of MINIclo in their signature. Problem solved!

Done!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:10 AM
countrym
6th Gear
"I can't read that sig from here . . . it's all dark."

Old 11-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Meneee
2nd Gear
>>>>Just so its clear, I was responding to Kurtster not Omtoast, I agree with you Omtoast, let it all go and Motor on Man.
>>>>
>>
>>Cheers!
>>Clover
>>
>>_________________
>>

Old 11-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Countrym, you have a great sense of humor and a great looking car.

I've finally created a signature (I didn't have one because I was saving it for my MINI).
We'll see how it works until I pick up my MINI Dec. first. Then I'll have pictures of my CAR.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>Countrym, you have a great sense of humor and a great looking car.
>>
>>I've finally created a signature (I didn't have one because I was saving it for my MINI).
>>We'll see how it works until I pick up my MINI Dec. first. Then I'll have pictures of my CAR.<<

Old 11-20-2003, 12:20 PM
8ball
6th Gear
... so someone is smoking a clover cig while doing a line so they can play with their mini **** chainy for hours on end, and they're complaining 'cause there's too much bush escalating political tensions in 'Nam? ... ahhhh - just like the good ol'days ...

Old 11-20-2003, 12:26 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Thanks Kurtster. You're a braver soul than I, going around with that sig. I hope you have one of those fire-proof suits!

>>Countrym, you have a great sense of humor and a great looking car.
>>
>>I've finally created a signature (I didn't have one because I was saving it for my MINI).
>>We'll see how it works until I pick up my MINI Dec. first. Then I'll have pictures of my CAR.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
>>If this is an American based website people should
>>be allowed to do whatever they want on their sig lines.
>>If not....I'm gone. If we ban political thought, discussion
>>and sig lines?
>>Get real.

And if it's not American they can't?
The issue has nothing to do with THOUGHT. You can THINK whatever you'd like.

Is it censorship to move For Sale posts to Marketplace? No, it's structure.
Structure allows people to find what they're looking for, not what you want them to see. I'd call THAT freedom.

P.S. The Allah/Kevlar sig cracks me up. But I'd rather not see it here. :smile:

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on political or campaign sigs on NAM?