Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Announcement: NAM and Internet Brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsie
I trust Mark, this site is his baby....
But if I understand it correctly it's now Internet Brands baby, and Mark just has (lots of) visitation rights, that can be taken away entirely at someone else's discretion.

I've been sitting on things since the announcement was made (even before that by a few weeks, as I knew I only had partial story at the time)

I am a general car enthusiast, I've been to many other IB sites, there is reason I never stuck around there but have stayed on others. Everything from levels of ads (vette forum is ridiculous about it) to the feel of the community to poorly functioning layout to a level of bickering that does not happen here. IB controls some of that, but certainly not all of it.

I look at this as another change in NAM that shows the community as falling into a more mainstream mindset. NAM constantly changes, the things that brought me to NAM are disappearing few at a time or one by one. Some of the people have left, but many are still here, so long as that holds true there's should still be a good niche on NAM.

I've noticed over the last few months that there are moderators and admins falling into the standard posting category, and at the same time one half moderator has been added. NOT saying it is at all related to IB but it is something that will need to be addressed since before the upper echelon started fading there was already a tone of "need more help moderating but unable to bring it about" IMO how the moderation situation goes is going to have a larger effect on things than who is doing server maintenance.

Time will tell.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
not quite, but certainly more than the current level.
Yeah I bounced through the Internet Brands site and clicked on the Scion link. Talk about fugly! I hope NAM doesn't go there.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
If things began to change around here because of our new overseers, I'd get pretty pithed.
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Before any criticism is hurled, let's remember that the sponsors and advertisers pay for the hosting and provide for the existence of NAM - these services aren't free. If Internet Brands makes changes that we can't live with, there will be mass desertions, which means less revenue for a company that has to watch its bottom line. The decision that Mark made couldn't have been easy, but like any entrepreneur, I do not believe he would let his baby grow into something as horrendous as Scionlife, so he will still be involved with the executive decision regarding this site. Let's wait to see how things unfurl - change can be good.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
arch-r
1st Gear
This actually bodes well for the long haul....Now if we can get Gulf South Motoring reved up. Looking forward to a great future
Dean Wallace
GSM Team Member
Let's Motor!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Greatbear
If things began to change around here because of our new overseers, I'd get pretty pithed.
Hey, pithy is my word, I used it first
Oh, pithed, thats different

Mark

Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
onequi
1st Gear
only the bare facts

If it aint broken, why fix?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm, if BMW thought that, I guess they would have made the new MINI's exact replicas of the Minis huh?

Originally Posted by onequi
If it aint broken, why fix?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Hmmm, if BMW thought that, I guess they would have made the new MINI's exact replicas of the Minis huh?
The ones that don't run in the cold and leak in the rain?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahah yep. Now is that "broke" or just "character"?

I mean, my '05 leaks coolant, rattles, makes strange clicking noises, lol...

Originally Posted by Motor On
The ones that don't run in the cold and leak in the rain?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I mean, my '05 leaks coolant, rattles, makes strange clicking noises, lol...
So they didn't fix it!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Mr.x.
2nd Gear
Just remember that Internet Brands is a public company... don't like what they do? Buy em......

Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it is interesting that we now have to pay $40 to join the NAM Alliance. Seems like features that should be free or close to free.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, now we'll be asked to pay premiums for the "good stuff" or miss out.......sigh.

Carnuts.us

Give it a look?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
I've been working on this membership program for more than two years. I have never requested any type of payment for access to the site and for those things were there was a fee I've delivered something tangible to the community (shirts, decals, etc.). Now there are additional features, including a magazine, and there is a cost associated with that. If you want to purchase a membership to get these features it is entirely up to you. It was never my intent to force anyone into a membership. However producing a magazine in which we pay the contributors, editor, and designer, provide a magnetic grille badge each year, etc. requires a fee-based membership model.

In the end you aren't required to purchase a membership if you don't want these things. I just wanted to provide something that I would want myself.

Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by quikmni
I think it is interesting that we now have to pay $40 to join the NAM Alliance. Seems like features that should be free or close to free.
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Yep, now we'll be asked to pay premiums for the "good stuff" or miss out.......sigh.
What you're completely dismissing is that the level of access you have today, after the Alliance launch is exactly the same that has been available on NAM for years now.

So really - what is there to complain about? If you were happy with your NAM features before, why aren't you now? Nothing has changed for you!

Really - I can't understand why someone would be upset about there being a new, extra pay option, provided that the free option isn't reduced... and it isn't.

If you don't care enough about the Alliance features, don't pay for them!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So far...........

Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
My concern is that when Alliance members use the Alliance features, such as larger PM and Gallery space people outside the Alliance will not have access. Thus, it limits the usefulness of the website as a great Mini reference. So far, I have not seen an issue so I will wait and see.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Mark
So far...........
And it won't be....I can assure you that I am well aware of the impact that this would have and I know that the people I interact with Internet Brands are aware of this impact as well. Its not something either of us would want and given that I intend to be involved with the site for good long time they are looking for me to be an advocate for the community and site. Since I wouldn't want this to happen I would argue VERY strongly against it if it were ever to be brought up.

Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Mark
My concern is that when Alliance members use the Alliance features, such as larger PM and Gallery space people outside the Alliance will not have access. Thus, it limits the usefulness of the website as a great Mini reference. So far, I have not seen an issue so I will wait and see.
Can you explain more about how you see this limiting the usefulness of the site? I'm not sure I'm following what your concern is.

Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Larger Gallery Space is a benefit to all. An Alliance member can now post more pictures for all to see. If you are concerned only other Alliance members would see items in the expanded space then you would be wrong in that assumption.

More PM space only benefits the subscriber, it does not effect in any way anyone that is not a subscriber. Consider it like having a 2 car garage instead of a 1 car garage, they both hold stuff, only the 2 car can hold more stuff.

There is nothing that limits any posting, nor are there special super secret subscriber forum areas. All the forums you see today will still be available to all, subscriber or not. Please explain how you see usefulness limited.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Mark & gnatster,

It looks like you have addressed my concerns. I was worried that non alliance members might not be able to see the Alliance member gallery or garage posts that would be referenced/linked in normal NAM posts. It sounds like if an Alliance member links an Alliance feature in a normal NAM post that all NAM members will be able to get to that link. I now understand that Alliance members just have more room to post and there will be no problem for non alliance members to see the posts.

It might be a nice option for non Alliance members to obtain the online magazine at something like $10. I know I will be missing out on great information in the magazine but I can not justify $40/yr since I can get by without the other Alliance features.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Mike

Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Mark
Mark & gnatster,

It looks like you have addressed my concerns. I was worried that non alliance members might not be able to see the Alliance member gallery or garage posts that would be referenced/linked in normal NAM posts. It sounds like if an Alliance member links an Alliance feature in a normal NAM post that all NAM members will be able to get to that link. I now understand that Alliance members just have more room to post and there will be no problem for non alliance members to see the posts.

It might be a nice option for non Alliance members to obtain the online magazine at something like $10. I know I will be missing out on great information in the magazine but I can not justify $40/yr since I can get by without the other Alliance features.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Mike
The $40 is largely there to support the costs associated with the magazine and the custom grille badge that are part of the program. I also have plans to implement a vendor discount program that all the vendors on the site can participate in if they wish. Given the existing features and what I have planned for the future I don't see a cheaper option being offered.

At some point with gas prices going up we all may be sitting at home and $40 will seem like a bargain...even if it is virtual motoring

Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just signed up ... I have no need of gallery space etc - but the first issue of the magazine is GORGEOUS! Better layout/etc than some printed ones I could think of ... and I HAVE to have that fridge magnet!

Oh - and it says "ALLIANCE" in my tag; cool!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
As a Troll Priest I must take umbrage at the "Alliance"... also, "Alliance" sounds sinister.

While I am myself content with my free access I do hope to see the new service take off!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
What you're completely dismissing is that the level of access you have today, after the Alliance launch is exactly the same that has been available on NAM for years now.

So really - what is there to complain about? If you were happy with your NAM features before, why aren't you now? Nothing has changed for you!

Really - I can't understand why someone would be upset about there being a new, extra pay option, provided that the free option isn't reduced... and it isn't.

If you don't care enough about the Alliance features, don't pay for them!

Carnuts.us

Give it a look?
One way that NAM may change for non-Alliance members is that Alliance folks are going to be citing or directing people to articles that appeared in the magazine, which is of course not accessible to non-members. In fact, I've seen this already in a couple of threads. ("Check out the X issue for the how-to ...")

I will probably join the NAM Alliance just to get the magazine---just wanted to point out this possible change for the non-alliance members NAM experience.

This brings up one question: May Alliance members cut and past text or pictures from the magazine into threads where they might be relevant to the thread?

Quick Reply: Announcement: NAM and Internet Brands