Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

What is wrong here on NAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155

Let people speak their minds, stop trolling around the forums like a robot, quoting site guidelines and issuing "strikes" in every direction.
that basically sums up what I have been trying to say for the past several months.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsie
Seems that the last time this forum saw this many posts in a thread was when someone asked if NAM was getting boring

Mark
It's not necessarily a good thing that so many people have something to say about how the site is being run .

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Indigo
that basically sums up what I have been trying to say for the past several months.
None of my comments were directed towards you Indigo, FWIW I think you've done and continue to do a great job at moderating .

Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by gnatster
The search engine works fine. It's the people doing the searches that don't work. Searching is an art, there are so many ways to filter that one versed in the art of searching can narrow most subjects down to the relevant posts.

Asking people to use the search is fine, but toss them a bone too. Give them some idea of the arcane search terms used to find that needle in the haystack. Show them how to limit their search to a subforum or from a date range you know the subject will be in.

Now as to moderation on this site, I've seen this before on sites I've run. Mods get stale. They get bored, they have their own agendas which at first they don't know they have but in time it shows. New mods help to shake old ones up. Sometimes mods need to go and not be promoted to admins. Some mods here are doing the site a disservice with their heavy hand that they don't think is so heavy.

Forums such as these are living entities constantly in flux. The trick is to move the tide and not force the tide to bend to you.

While I loath to delve into the business end of forums there comes a time when a relationsship with a vendor must end. There are many reasons why, but in this case it's the vendor. No BS here, Palo Uber is not a vendor of the caliber NAM needs. Not all income is good income, this income comes with blood on your hands. While there are people that have success in dealing with this sham of a company there are multiples more that have had difficulties. Anyone can look at the multitude of threads and see the issues. There was a time when Mini Madness would speak up in defense of issues and try and make them better. I think we can all see that George and YakMini have stopped defending Palo Uber.

Thats part of the unseemly side of NAM. There are plenty of other little things that are going wrong that many people either don't see, don't care about or turn a blind eye towards.

Wake|MCS with his buy my wheels sig. Thats pretty darn ugly. What happens when we all start putting links to our for sale items?

I hate to bring this back up but Edge and his "readability" edits. Subject titles are fine, makes for a better look. But this multi-quote issue, com on, don't you have better things to do Edge or are you so enamored with having it look just so that the bigger fish are not bigger to you. Seeing the style in which people post helps as some insight to the person. We learned a lot for the kid that posted in all caps and make a race thing of it. From pimpedout97x's lack of capitalization, punctuation and general lack of care we can see that this monstrosity he is building ios going to be fraught with issues. When you go and fix any of this stuff, including multi-quote we lose a possible window into this persons psyche.

This is never going to be a touchy feely ohh look at my cute Mini forum. It may have been for the first week after it was started but now it has reached that mass, where as I've stated before, it is a microcosm of the population as a whole.

And thats the way I see it on this day.
very well put Gnat!!!!

I would also like to see this style of moderation change. no one likes to be edited. I made it bold to bring it out in the forefront. It is not just one moderator's style, but it is a style that is due for an overhaul, IMHO. I obviously don't fit the mold of existing moderators, but hopefully I can invoke a change.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
None of my comments were directed towards you Indigo, FWIW I think you've done and continue to do a great job at moderating .

I appreciate that, but my comments here are not just as a moderator, it is as a member that is equally frustrated over the years.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
lotsie
Banned
It's not necessarily a good thing that so many people have something to say about how the site is being run .
It's better than nothing being said.

Mark

Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by korby
I like it just the way it is ! Keep it rated PG my kids are in the room when I'm on the site .Seems like when things get crazy the moderator's step in at the right time .Keep the politics out , I'm very political but thats not what I look for here.The frat boy thing gets a little carried away sometimes but thats my cross to bear ,I've never liked that stuff .My vote for NAM -Dont change a thing !Four more years !
+1

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PGT
in my opinion, some moderators seem like web-bots, quoting rules

Let people speak their minds, stop trolling around the forums like a robot, quoting site guidelines and issuing "strikes" in every direction.
yep....add to that what Nate/gnatster said about honing in on the little things and not doing the important things (spelling/punctuation vs. mediating discussions)

Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am seriously liking this thread for some reason. It shows people care.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Greatbear
It shows people care.
"About what, I have no idea"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
[quote=gnatster;1810013] I think many of you will find you are posting dribble.
/quote]
As Maxwell Smart would say, "And proud of it!" How many posts does that make?

Seriously, there may be some soul searching here, but toughen up. This is a great forum. The over moderation is one of the reasons it is a great forum in my opinion. I play a lot of soccer and the persons I most admire and most don't want to be are the moderators, er, referees.

I'm afraid you can't expect much adulation but in fact you make it good. Thanks and, by the way, he pushed me first. Oh, and according to my GPS on my last trip across Nevada my maximum speed was 267 mph! My kid tried to blackmail me but I was resonably confident my spouse would recognize it was a rock and roll, hoochie coo with the satelites!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Eyes wide open...

NAM is great! I've only been a member for a short while. So far, I think this is site is a great resource. I already have 4 people on my buddy list here who share similar views as myself.

Prior to joining NAM I only belonged to a couple tech related web forums, but from those, I learned quite a bit about the different types of people that post.

It's in my nature to help others. So, I tend to respond to posts where I think I have something to contribute or if I have a strong enough opinion on the topic.

Not having a long history here, I tend to lurk more then respond. But, the more time I spend here, the more and more I consider partaking in some of the events. I definitely have a mental list of some of the folks I'd like to meet in person.

Everything here is new to me, so I am still in a state of awe as to everything NAM has to offer and have yet to only scratch the surface.

I've been primarily focused on an issue the '07 MCS's have, but as a new NAM friend pointed out to me, it's healthy for my mind and newly forming NAM reputation to break out and join in on some of the other discussions. So, I am making a conscious effort to do that moving forward.

I like NAM and have no suggestions for changes. Moderators and vendors will come and go as their schedules and passions permit. I really like the fact that the community is open enough to even discuss this topic.

That's a good thing and a major reason why NAM is so popular.

OK, too much Kool-Aid for me, time for bed.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
The over moderation is one of the reasons it is a great forum in my opinion.
you are entitled to your opinion but I can assure you, over moderation is not a positive attribute of any forum. the goal of a moderator is to be as unobtrusive as possible while preserving the goals of site mgmt. over moderation generally causes more issues than it solves. but, don't listen to me...nobody else does either

Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I bet you didn't want to invade Poland, either!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
lotsie
Banned
I would like to know why what goes on on other sites has something to do with NAM?

Mark

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
PGT
Banned
I would like to know why what goes on on other sites has something to do with NAM?

Mark
!ding ding ding! I think this attitude is EXACTLY what is wrong with the current moderation team on NAM. You don't live in a vacuum. Many of us have seen what works elsewhere. Forgive us for thinking there's a better way.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
mauberley
6th Gear

Mark
The issues and problems the moderators at NAM confront are not unique to NAM. I believe it is useful to see the approaches other online forums have taken with respect to moderating content / posters and learn from their experiences.

From my experience with TWoP, a VERY large community of TV addicts with discussion spanning ANYTHING that has been on TV, the strict moderation they impose works. Threads are on-topic, people post a wide variety of opinions but know that disrespecting other people is not tolerated. And there they /do/ clean up offending posts. The mods have often been called draconian, but in my opinion the community is still vibrant and flourishing and I think it is because of, not in spite of, the heavy moderation.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
!ding ding ding! I think this attitude is EXACTLY what is wrong with the current moderation team on NAM. You don't live in a vacuum. Many of us have seen what works elsewhere. Forgive us for thinking there's a better way.
Better is good. Explain away, point of the thread and my post.

Mark

Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
OK so this post is definitely a book... splitting into two parts (back-to-back! ooh!)

Now as to moderation on this site, I've seen this before on sites I've run. Mods get stale. They get bored, they have their own agendas which at first they don't know they have but in time it shows. New mods help to shake old ones up. Sometimes mods need to go and not be promoted to admins. Some mods here are doing the site a disservice with their heavy hand that they don't think is so heavy.
Gee you didn't try very hard to cover that one up did you?
Forums such as these are living entities constantly in flux. The trick is to move the tide and not force the tide to bend to you.
See, that's just it... what you perceive as a "tide" may only be a ripple. Perhaps in your world of MINI-related friends, it's a tidal wave... but relative to the entire MINI community... I honestly don't believe that people are looking to "loosen up" and allow more room for insults, off-color jokes and generally disrespectful behavior here that what we have allowed before, and that is what some proponents are pushing for.
While I loath to delve into the business end of forums
Neither do I. I try to stay out of vendor matters as much as possible... and for what it's worth, I can understand why you feel that PU is not an ideal vendor for NAM (my opinion only, not necessarily NAMs)
I hate to bring this back up but Edge and his "readability" edits. Subject titles are fine, makes for a better look. But this multi-quote issue, com on, don't you have better things to do Edge or are you so enamored with having it look just so that the bigger fish are not bigger to you.
NAM is part of my daily routine - bringing up the "better things to do" issue is a slippery slope. Don't you have better things to do than spend your time online, or mod your MINI?

I don't understand the fish comment though - the only real "effect" of merging two sequential posts is that the post count drops by 1. Do I really care about people's post count? Nope. Clover's got that all sewn up anyway.
Seeing the style in which people post helps as some insight to the person.
Again, how does merging two posts without changing the content have any effect on the "style"?
When you go and fix any of this stuff, including multi-quote we lose a possible window into this persons psyche.
Well, you already said the thread titles are OK, so other than merging posts, what other "stuff" are you talking about?

Besides, I already conceded much earlier today in this thread that I would try to scale back on the post merging and save it for the more egregious circumstances. (EDIT: and to prove it... here I am posting my very own back-to-back posts)

Last edited by Edge; 10-17-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Added comment at the end
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Book Part 2 - rustyboy155's stuff

Amen... universal respect is a pipe dream.
In the world, yes. But this isn't the world. This is a forum that has the ability to set boundaries and enforce them. Whether people choose to stay within those boundaries or not is up to them.

The real question is where the boundaries should be... but you're kidding yourself if you think that the boundaries are going to disappear completely. NAM has built a solid reputation as a place where people can expect to be able to engage in polite conversation, and I seriously doubt that Mark Ferguson wants to change that, nor do I think the majority (silent or otherwise) wants to change it either, even though a few people may hope for it.

There are plenty of other places on the Net where people can go and be as much of a rowdy jerk as they want to be.
This site is most certainly over moderated, and there is quite a bit of favoritism and selective enforcement.
Over moderated is a matter of opinion... but we are open to discussing where and when, hence the entire reason for this thread. Some changes will most likely occur, but nobody should expect everything to change, because with all of the varied opinions by members on how the site should be run, it's impossible to please everyone. Some people are still not going to like the end result, but hopefully we can still "fix" the more obvious stuff.

As for favoritism and selective enforcement, you'll have to be more specific. I've encouraged all of the moderators (in the moderators' forum) to speak up if they feel something is out of whack, and also to discuss concerns about other moderators (myself included) if a member brings it to their attention. It is my hope that we can come closer to reducing favoritism, cliques and biased judgement calls to a minimum by discussing them more frequently as a moderation team.
Edge loves throwing out the "Report Post" feature, but nobody wants to be labeled as a rat, and i'm sure he could free up plenty of time by eliminating the "Merge Threads" crap.
OK, how can someone be labelled as a rat when post reports are confidential? Seriously... in order to be "labelled" as such by the person being reported, they'd have to know that you reported them!

Also, I've tried to make it clear that reporting posts isn't only for dealing with "bad behavior", it's also a great tool for getting assistance in other ways, like a request to move a thread, or correct a typo in a thread title.

Besides, a post report in no way reflects on the poster being reported. All it's saying to the moderators is "please come look at this". You love to talk about all the "time" I spend on merging threads, but you fail to recognize that in order to deal with a problem thread, I (or any other moderator for that matter) need to know about it first. And no, I'm sorry, I'm not even going to try to read every thread on NAM. When I'm browsing, I read the threads that interest me, the same as you do.
I've seen members go into threads, completely derail them, call a vendors efforts worthless, anyone who buys their products a moron, basically do everything BUT call that person a pile of ****, and nothing happens.
And why do you suppose that is? Why does nothing happen? Because people don't report the thread, that's why. On one hand you criticize the feature for "rats" but on the other hand you complain that nothing happens? Make up your mind - the members are just as important a part of the moderation process as the moderators themselves.
But GOD forbid someone call that person a bad name
Yep, because doing that only escalates the situation further. And people don't come on NAM to read a shouting match. They come on NAM to discuss MINIs (Off Topic forums notwithstanding).
Recently I was given a "Strike"
Nope, you were issued an infraction, not a strike. There's a huge difference.
Unfortunately I did so by resorting to a personal attack, which wasn't right
No, it wasn't... and you admit that now, so why make a big deal out of the infraction that you clearly deserved?
but calling being called name isn't the end of the world, it's part of life, deal with it and move on.
Perhaps so, but the guidelines were here on NAM before you were. It's your choice whether you choose to abide by them or not... just like the laws in any city, state or country... you can choose to abide or choose to ignore... but don't be surprised when you get a reaction for ignoring them!
In my opinion the person deserved it
Of course you think that, or you wouldn't have said it.
The idea of universal respect is wonderful, but life isn't all flowers and love. There are going to be disagreements, and when someone shows no respect, in my book, they get none. I don't care what the site guidelines say, if someone insults me or a friend, they've lost all my respect.
Nobody said you had to respect the person. You probably don't respect me, that I can accept. The difference is, what actions are you going to decide to take? There's a difference between respecting someone and being respectful to them. If they aren't respectful to you... you have another 2 other recourses, other than retaliating. Either you report it and let the moderation team handle them, or ignore it and walk away. Retaliation achieves nothing other than momentary satisfaction on your part, an escalation of the entire problem, and unwanted attention on you... and for that, you'd have nobody to blame but yourself.
I also agree with others regarding the "Strike" system being ineffective. I've been building websites for 8 years, and i've been working in IT for at least 6. If I REALLY wanted to post on NAM after being banned, you don't think I could? It's not hard to change your IP address, or use a proxy.
Of course it's "possible" to get back on NAM after the fact. It has happened, absolutely... sometimes they're later found, but I'm sure it's also happened that they haven't.

However, being banned also means you lose your ability to retain the same "identity" on NAM. If you manage to get back on, you have to start a new one... and in terms of community, that can be quite frustrating.

Additionally, if someone gets banned and comes back on, they are faced with a fresh choice: Play nice... or ultimately get banned yet again. And if some of the formerly banned users choose the former, then the community wins.
Sometimes posting on NAM feels like being back in middle school. You always have big brother lurking overhead to slap you on the wrist if you do something naughty .
NAM is for every age and every demographic. That's how it was envisioned, and that's how it has been executed. It's intended to be a welcoming place for everyone in general to come and participate. Nobody's making you come here, yet you choose to come anyway. Why is that? It's not so bad here, is it? Clearly it isn't so bad that you hate being here, or you wouldn't be.

Just as you wish there were more "lax" rules here, do you honestly, really think that a majority of MINI owners want a place where shouting matches and degrading insults are the acceptable practice? I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about everyone else. Would you put money down that a poll of every active member (those who have signed on in the last 2 months, for example) would vote for no "respect" enforcement over the current system?
I like a little conflict every once in a while, people should be free to speak their mind. Having threads closed down and people banned from the site because they voice their opinion is a bit ridiculous, if it gets rowdy, so what. People CHOOSE to come here, they CHOOSE to post in a thread, and they CHOOSE to read it. If reading a bad word is such an egregious act, leave!
Yes, they choose all of that... and likewise, they also choose whether or not to abide by the guidelines they agreed to when they signed up on the site.

If you owned NAM, you'd make the rules. Sorry to say, you don't.
Again, strikes are not as much an everyday occurrence as you think they are. Perhaps you "meant" infractions, OK... but societal observation demonstrates that when behavior goes completely unchecked, chaos reigns. Witness widespread looting in cities when the police force is disabled, and you see what I mean.

The real question is finding the right balance of enforcement, not removing enforcement altogether... and that's what these discussions are supposed to uncover.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
PGT
Banned
/\ overuse of multi-quote! seriously man...page breaks, PAGE BREAKS!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by PGT
you are entitled to your opinion but I can assure you, over moderation is not a positive attribute of any forum. the goal of a moderator is to be as unobtrusive as possible while preserving the goals of site mgmt. over moderation generally causes more issues than it solves. but, don't listen to me...nobody else does either
The real question is what constitutes "over moderation" and what constitutes "part of preserving site mgmt goals". Certainly, while I have already conceded (several times now) that merging of back-to-back posts is probably too much, I disagree with the assertion that we should not be enforcing the "respect" guideline. That most definitely is part of the site management goals. Hopefully this thread helps to better define what is what.
Originally Posted by PGT
/\ overuse of multi-quote! seriously man...page breaks, PAGE BREAKS!
Was that post made before or after I turned mine into two separate posts?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge
Was that post made before or after I turned mine into two separate posts?
does it matter? I'm not even going to bother to read it....that's a lot of words at 2am. this point/counterpoint is umm, a bit much. just write what you have to say, don't break up a post and analyze every issue

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by PGT
does it matter? I'm not even going to bother to read it....that's a lot of words at 2am. this point/counterpoint is umm, a bit much. just write what you have to say, don't break up a post and analyze every issue
Yeah, I find that hard to read ...much like multiple posts, etc.

see, we all have different styles, not every style works for every person, we all are different, just like our MINIs. (mine is the coolest BTW, bwahahahahahaha!!!!)

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
PGT
Banned
mine is the coolest BTW, bwahahahahahaha!!!!)
if it was, you wouldn't have almost sold it to me so many years back

Quick Reply: What is wrong here on NAM