Sin City MINI Club (SCMC) The forum of the Sin City MINI Club. Visit the club site at www.SinCityMINIClub.com

Hello! (And HELP re service for brakes and rotors!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
MINISmurfette
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello! (And HELP re service for brakes and rotors!)

Hi Everyone! I recently discovered SCMC, this website, and this forum! I am the proud owner of a 2009 Mini Cooper S, in Laser Blue Metallic with a white roof, whom I call Smurfette. I plan to join SCMC very soon

I bought my car about a year ago. This past week, an indicator came on my tachometer display. It was the symbol of the car up on a platform + "brake" and in red, which according to the owner's manual, said to get the brakes checked ASAP.

I searched Yelp and found Kensington Motor Cars. Since I had a HORRIBLE experience at Desert MINI when I needed to get my battery changed, I called Kensington, spoke to Bill, and ended up dropping off my car on Friday afternoon.

I got a call back with an estimate from Kensington late Friday afternoon. Apparently, all of my brakes AND rotors need to be changed. The woman I spoke with said the front brakes (especially the rotors) are worse than the back, but that the back brakes are not far behind. (As in, if I only changed the front brakes, the back brakes would need to be changed in another week or so.)

Here are the approximate estimates for the work:

Front brakes and rotors - $600
Back brakes and rotors - $400
Oil change and new air filter - $120
Total (including taxes) - $1,266

The car has about 47K miles. And I tend to liberally use the brakes, especially when I see NHP on the shoulder of the 15!

My question is, does this seem right? I know MINI service work can be expensive. When I initially called Kensington, I asked how much they'd charge to change a battery, and they said about $160 or so. This is what I paid at another mechanic after the MINI dealership tried to charge me $500 (yes, simply to change the battery), so I thought Kensington would be reasonable based on that.

While I could take SMFTE back to the other mechanic that I had change the battery, I thought it'd be better to have a MINI-specific mechanic service the car.

I also saw that someone else on here had a bad experience at Kensington, but it has great reviews on Yelp. I'm actually an active Yelper, and the business's reviews are by other active Yelpers (not someone with one or two reviews that makes it suspicious). So it's sort of surprising.

I'm just curious as to whether this pricing is fair; if it's in the ball park, then I'll gladly pay. I don't know much about cars, and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with replacing brakes on a car (other than when I was in college, and replaced them myself on my '94 Chevy Cavalier). And to be completely honest, I have been hearing slight squeaking for a couple of months

Sorry this is so long! Any advice is appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Julie
2nd Gear
I have heard mixed reviews on the dealership and Kensington - some folks have had great experiences, some not so much. Everyone's experiences are unique, so the best I could tell you is get as much info as you can - in the end it's up to you. Hopefully some more folks will add their thoughts, and maybe some specific rate details, here as well to help you decide.

I can't speak for brakes, because my MINI is still covered under a maintenance warranty, but you can spend half as much for an oil change by doing it yourself - get an OEM filter at the dealership (or find one online) and get some Mobil 1 0W-40. Walmart has about the best regular rates for the oil, but sometimes O'Reillys puts it on special. There are places here in the forums which walk you through the oil change - its really not all that complicated. I recall reading a similar quote for brakes and rotors (not sure where though) and after checking some websites for purchasing these items and seeing what you can get, I am guessing when my warranty is up, I'll be looking into doing future replacements on my own as well - well, with the the help of some of my SCMC friends anyway

The Club does some DIY days and could probably help you with an oil change and brake/rotor replacement - if you're up for the task.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Brouse thru the vendor listing here on the forum and find your own pads and disks. Way Motor Works shows a full set package, front and rear disks and EBC Red Stuff pads (very popular and low dust ceramics, they're what I'm installing when it is time.) for just short of $500.00. Any independent shop can install those for you at a much more reasonable price. Also, unless you intend to track or autoX your MINI, you don't need the more expensive slotted or drilled rotors which I'm sure the dealer is promoting.
Check out http://soopercooperinfo.com/ for a listing of independent shops in your area.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MINISmurfette: I would suggest calling Elliott Imports, 702-454-4700 and talk to Dennis, fair prices and excellent work.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
I had my 2009 MCSc in for work yesterday and when I picked it up they said I needed front brakes in about 3000 miles, rear 5000. The quoted price was $700 front and $500 rear. $1200 for rotors and pads.

I just replaced the pads on my CRv (all 4 wheels) with premium pads for less than $100. It took all of an hour.

I normally, say on a Honda, would not change rotors but my MINI's have an unusually high ridge on the outer edge. I think I will look at WMW for their package.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Way can help you out with supplies at a competitive price (you may even get a posting from them) and any local mechanic with a lift and a couple of tools can change out your pads and rotors. It is a universal procedure common to every disc brake car on the road.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM
MINISmurfette
Neutral
Thanks, all! I appreciate all of your feedback and advice. I ended up buying the parts online and taking it to a local mechanic, who charged substantially less $$$. I really like Bill and think he really knows his stuff, but it just seemed like too much moohla. kukaepe, I'll check with Elliott Imports on the next go around.

Thanks again!!!