MINI Parts for Sale Search and shop for all your MINI parts here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

FS:: DashCommand™ for iPhone >>> On Sale Right Now in iTunes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM
walkinghispath
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Category: Interior
Price: $10
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (you may select multiples): R50, R52, R53, R55, R56, R57, R58, R59, R60, Electrical
Location (Region): SoCal
Item Condition: Brand New

Anyone have issues with the Wifi module hitting their leg?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 AM
k567
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not hitting leg but sometimes I catch it when getting in or out of the car

Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have $30 in iTunes credit from gift cards and still have a hard time swallowing $10 for an app. I had had an iPhone since they went to the plastic back (3G) and have never ever paid for an app, plenty of free ones out there. How can one justify the $10, let alone $50? Talk me into it.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:39 AM
k567
Neutral
It's worth it
I have the cheap elm wifi module
Links first time every time
Works seamlessly
Not sure about some of the numbers for HP and TQ

Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
So buy the app now and get a wifi adapter for my iphone and see how it works then I take it.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 AM
rjean8
2nd Gear
Anyone know how this compares to the torque app for android? That ones 5 bucks...Anyone tried both and have a preference before drop money on one?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
I have $30 in iTunes credit from gift cards and still have a hard time swallowing $10 for an app. I had had an iPhone since they went to the plastic back (3G) and have never ever paid for an app, plenty of free ones out there. How can one justify the $10, let alone $50? Talk me into it.
I've used both, personally I like the Torque app better. Go out a buy a used Android phone off eBay or Craigslist and use it as dedicated display.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k567
It's worth it
I have the cheap elm wifi module
Links first time every time
Works seamlessly
Not sure about some of the numbers for HP and TQ
Actually I was running the software at MM9, when my car was on the Dyno and the software told me within 4 Hp of what the Dyno said!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
EDIT: Removed my post because it was inflammatory and not useful. I was out of bounds.

Last edited by bratling; 10-17-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: I was jerk. Removing non-useful content.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Instead of "talking you into it", I'm going to offer brutal honesty.

If you are too cheap to support the developers of software that's useful despite buying the most expensive smartphone on the market and a premium-priced car, nobody can talk you into it.

Just buy the g****** app with your gift money.

I have zero patience for people who want something for nothing. No software developer owes you the fruits of their labor for free. Some choose to give it away because it's a hobby; some give it away so they can sell your privacy to the ad networks; some charge enough to make a living wage. But [i]nothjng is free[/].
Wow, I didn't bring my flame suit to this thread...big mistake. I never asked for the gift cards as I have never needed to buy an app, but it was nice to receive them as a gift. I didn't realize I was taking food off your table and cloths off your back, sorry. I either deal with adds, use apps by hobbyists, or just don't buy them then I guess.

The iPhone is a great deal really, I got $200 for my wife's 2 year old 4S and paid $200 for the new 5s for her, break even. I'm not out there paying $650 for it every year because I have to have it. The phones hold their value quite well and just seem to work so I keep getting them every 2 years.

I have bought all my MINIs used for well below MSRP (this car was $21k and $30k new, 1 year old and 9600 miles). I just didn't know I could upset you this bad.

So sorry I choose to not spend my free money on an app that won't give my any more performance, just gauges of data that I can do what with? watch? I just don't know how it is worth $10 let alone $50 and maybe a user with experience could give me a situation where it was helpful for them and not just "It's worth it".

I'm not expecting the world out of an app, regardless of cost.

PS: I assume the "nothing is free" was intended to be spelled correctly and italicized?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need to unplug this thing every time to keep from draining the battery or does it turn itself off/on?

Originally Posted by c0op3r
Get an ELM 327 WiFi module off eBay out of China for like 15 bucks and you are ready to go!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
Do I need to unplug this thing every time to keep from draining the battery or does it turn itself off/on?
Have not had mine out for 6 months and I have left the car for 4 days at a shot, never even a slow start, so I have to just that the drain must be really minor.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just downloaded the app and am looking for an WIFI adapter to use my IPhone with.
Heres a UTube of the WIFI adapter and App

Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
EDIT: Removed my post because it was inflammatory and not useful. I was out of bounds.

Last edited by bratling; 10-17-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: I was a jerk. Removing non-useful content.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Does it require configuring a static IP, or is it one or the rare ones which provide DHCP so you don't have to configure your wifi after joining the network?

Price is right, and I like the power switch feature so I can turn it on and off without unplugging/replugging (the one thing I dislike about my Bluetooth ODB adapter).

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
It is static, but the setup takes about 30 seconds and you only have to do it once even if you unplug the device.

There are installation instructions on the Palmer Performance website where they list the IP address, etc. I attached a photo.

The dynamic ip devices like OBDLink are much more expensive.

Attached Thumbnails -image-2841546330.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cerenkov
It is static, but the setup takes about 30 seconds and you only have to do it once even if you unplug the device.

There are installation instructions on the Palmer Performance website where they list the IP address, etc. I attached a photo.

The dynamic ip devices like OBDLink are much more expensive.
Sweet! Guess I'll be switching over. I was using a jailbreak tool to use an inexpensive ELM Bluetooth module, but gave up the jailbreak for iOS 7. Had been pondering a pricey Apple-certified BT adapter vs. a generic wifi model that effectively disables my 3G/LTE. For $35 with an easy off-switch, I'll go for it.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
It reads ODB-2 data. It requires additional hardware. You've stated that you don't value getting data out of the car. You've answered the question: it's not worth the money. It's just a really well implemented engine monitor with both realtime display and data logging to replay and examine individual data frames on your PC. All of which can be found out by reading the app description. I personally find it helpful to monitor engine data for unusual changes before the idiot light on the dash lights up, but mostly it's just a great read-only data visualizer.

Yes. Should I enumerate the spelling and grammar errors in your post as well?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Thanks for a bit more explanation, I read the description but just wan't 100% if it gave me data that I needed or wanted. I know these cars are very light in the gauge info or giving any real data (water temp, oil pressure, etc). By the time the idiot light comes on it's usually too late to prevent disaster, just mitigate it. So this is why people use an app like this then.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 AM
k567
Neutral
I'll chime in again
I've used several obd apps and always looked for the cheap or free ones
Never looked this as it was £39 nah I'm cheap
Now it's £6.99
Downloaded and tried its brilliant
Totally plug and play with a couple of quick setup steps and as you use it more you'll do a little more on the setup
It's the first one that actually works for every diagnostic and monitoring component
Connects within a couple of seconds
Data logging is spot on
Fuel consumption data seems spot on
Easy to use

So seriously if you haven't got it while it's on sale
Don't expect to be happy with cheaper or free version when it's back at $50

Worth every penny in my opinion

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by yetti96
Thanks for a bit more explanation, I read the description but just wan't 100% if it gave me data that I needed or wanted. I know these cars are very light in the gauge info or giving any real data (water temp, oil pressure, etc). By the time the idiot light comes on it's usually too late to prevent disaster, just mitigate it. So this is why people use an app like this then.

Thanks for the help.
Yetti, I owe you an apology. Through no fault of yours, you happened to hit upon a sore point of mine. My response was not constructive or educational to you or to anyone reading the forums. I'm going to go back and edit my post to remove the inflammatory, non-useful rant.

To add a little more info about the app itself: it can only access the information made available by BMW through the OBD-II port. This means that it can read useful things like ignition timing, coolant temperature, airflow, fuel-air ratio, some emissions data, engine load & reported torque, fuel pressure and flow rate, speed, and of course boost/vacuum pressure (among many others).

But, Dash Command cannot read data that BMW doesn't supply via ODB-II port. If you'd like to do that, you may be interested in BMWhat. BMWhat reads BMW's vehicle protocols and says it can access more information, and can even configure various modules to change functionality (e.g., set auto-open sunroof and the like). I haven't (yet) tried it, because like Dash Command it has a hefty price tag -- $50 (more on android) -- and I have NCSExpert running on my laptop already.

BMWhat is available for Android and for iPhone/iPad/iPod. A "Lite" version to verify connectivity is free for either platform.

Anyway: the important bit: I apologize for being a jerk. That was wrong.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 PM
d454brisson
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just purchased the wifi one from amazon also, and downloaded the app for the iphone5

Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Does anybody happen to already have the vehicle advanced settings handy for a (mostly) stock '05 R53?

I do realize the basic info is available via the owner's manual, but I'm wondering more about settings like "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" "Volumetric Efficiency" "Final Drive Ratios" "Drag Coefficient" "Frontal Area" etc.

Thanks in advance!

- T.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Settings

Originally Posted by TimL
Does anybody happen to already have the vehicle advanced settings handy for a (mostly) stock '05 R53?

I do realize the basic info is available via the owner's manual, but I'm wondering more about settings like "Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" "Volumetric Efficiency" "Final Drive Ratios" "Drag Coefficient" "Frontal Area" etc.

Thanks in advance!

- T.
Browse this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...og-graphs.html

Much of the information you are seeking is available there. Also use the VIN Decoder in the tools tab on the taskbar at the top of the page. You can obtain your drive ratios for your vehicle there.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Thanks. I did see that other thread, but it looks like it's all for 2nd gen MINIs. Will definitely give VIN Decoder a crack, however, and see what that yields.

Quick Reply: FS:: DashCommand™ for iPhone >>> On Sale Right Now in iTunes