MINI Parts for Sale Search and shop for all your MINI parts here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

WTB:: Control arm bushing tool??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 AM
nitroracing456
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Control arm bushing tool??

Category: Suspension
Price: $0
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (you may select multiples): R50, R52, R53
Location (Region): NorthEast
Item Condition: Used

Hi everyone,

Im going to be changing all the bushing on the front end of my R53 cooper S next week and want to know if anyone have the control arm bushing tool available for sale or rent?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried making the tool yourself? ModMini (
) uses his homemade device. It seems easily replicated and cheap (like $11 from Home Depot)

The comments explain the parts you need:

1/2 inch threaded Rod (another person used a 3/8 inch threaded rod)
1/2 inch washers
1/2 inch floor flange

ModMini suggests buying 2 rods, 2 flanges, 6 nuts, at least 4 washers. The tool does not look to use 6 nuts or two rods but maybe he is suggesting extra parts in case anything bends or breaks.

There is pretty good insight within the first 10 or so comments and more throughout.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM
nitroracing456
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jahboto
Have you tried making the tool yourself? ModMini (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yEfrPpQBdk) uses his homemade device. It seems easily replicated and cheap (like $11 from Home Depot)

The comments explain the parts you need:

1/2 inch threaded Rod (another person used a 3/8 inch threaded rod)
1/2 inch washers
1/2 inch floor flange

ModMini suggests buying 2 rods, 2 flanges, 6 nuts, at least 4 washers. The tool does not look to use 6 nuts or two rods but maybe he is suggesting extra parts in case anything bends or breaks.

There is pretty good insight within the first 10 or so comments and more throughout.
Thank you. Just need to find out if this can press out the old bushing as well because ill be taking down the entire subframe and changing out all the bushings on the front end.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by nitroracing456
Thank you. Just need to find out if this can press out the old bushing as well because ill be taking down the entire subframe and changing out all the bushings on the front end.
There are some vendors who sell fully assembled bushings and carriers. You buy and then send back the core, no bushing press needed.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nitroracing456
To remove the old bushings, I believe cutting them out with a reciprocating saw is the easiest, if you aren't removing the subframe. Maybe 5-10 minutes depending on your skill and comfort. I must admit that I assumed you would be using polyurethane bushings and not dropping the sub frame...not sure why I assumed this. I know the homemade tool works with the poly bushings but I haven't looked into how to work with originals yet.

As gumbedamit said, you can also buy assembled/prepressed bushings.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM
nitroracing456
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jahboto
To remove the old bushings, I believe cutting them out with a reciprocating saw is the easiest, if you aren't removing the subframe. Maybe 5-10 minutes depending on your skill and comfort. I must admit that I assumed you would be using polyurethane bushings and not dropping the sub frame...not sure why I assumed this. I know the homemade tool works with the poly bushings but I haven't looked into how to work with originals yet.

As gumbedamit said, you can also buy assembled/prepressed bushings.

Good luck!
Sorry i was a bit unclear, Im replacing all the front bushings with PowerFlex Black series polyurethane bushings. Getting the car ready for an eventful track season which is right around the corner.

Doing the Job next week and just trying to make sure i have everything in place because i need this to be a one day job. Im not trying to extend into a day two because of a minor hiccup.

Thanks for your help thus far.

This dude made it look so much simpler using the actrual tool for the job. I can order it but it won't get here in time for next week.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
No doubt if you have the tool it will be cake, but for $260, I would just do it myself and buy an extra threaded rod in case you bend it or something. The only other thing I could see going wrong is when you try to cut out the old bushings but just use a bit extra care.

Last edited by Jahboto; 03-05-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Also, I would add that the homemade device cannot be used to push out the old bushing. You can probably make one but that would require some measuring in order to get a flange-like device which is smaller than the carrier but large enough to snag the old metal bushing on the way out. Actually, the more I think about it, the bushing would have to push out somewhere and a flange would block that. Cutting is probably the best way to remove the old bushing without the MINI tool.