Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread) >

Drivetrain Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)

Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)

Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 AM
narvarr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKo View Post
I think R53 fuel lines are ethanol compatible. I've been driving mine on E85 for over six years and 120.000km so they probably would have failed already if they weren't.
By "compatible" I mean large enough to provide the fuel delivery needs for this kits purpose.

Also there has been mixed reports out there about degradation of fuel system components after switching to E85 for long periods of time. Keep an eye on the braided fuel line that goes to the fuel rail.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 AM
narvarr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but even using a mix of 85 Octane gas and 110 Octane Ethanol an E51 Mix would have an octane mix of 97.5 to 98. At least according to the E calculators.
http://blog.innovatemotorsports.com/...-your-tune-up/

I've talked to several tuners and shops about E85 and they all basically say the same thing about ethenol content below 65%. The octane rating over here just isn't where it needs to be to run a full dedicated E85 tune on it. Best to have a safeguard in place then to take chances on what it's supposed to be.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 AM
JKo
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
By "compatible" I mean large enough to provide the fuel delivery needs for this kits purpose.

Also there has been mixed reports out there about degradation of fuel system components after switching to E85 for long periods of time. Keep an eye on the braided fuel line that goes to the fuel rail.
So you're saying 6 years isn't long enough period to see issues? :D

And what kind of fuel delivery needs are you talking about? Over 300bhp I suppose..?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 AM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Co0p3r has some pics of the inside of his first Link that he could post. It will show the spot where the expansion harness should be plugged in. The software itself is very intuitive. If you're not sure of what something is, right click on it and click "what's this". It will open the help file with a detailed explanation.
What output wire from AEM goes to what wire on XS expansion loom?

Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 AM
SuN13300
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget that you linked an article from a company who sells à 450$ ethanol sensor kit :D

I trust chemistry and the few tests I conducted but maybe I'm wrong

Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM
narvarr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PeanutR53 View Post
What output wire from AEM goes to what wire on XS expansion loom?
Are you trying to run an AEM wideband? If so here's a link to how to set it up.
http://forums.linkecu.com/topic/5690...eband-antilag/

Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 AM
narvarr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JKo View Post
So you're saying 6 years isn't long enough period to see issues? :D

And what kind of fuel delivery needs are you talking about? Over 300bhp I suppose..?
Yes, target power is around 280WHP or about 315BHP

As far as the fuel lines, this is the area that I was saying to keep a close eye on.

The majority of the fuel system is steel tubing except the short portion that's connected to the filter housing which is plastic. And the rubber section that goes to the fuel rail itself.

Chemistry teaches us that alcohol degrades and dries out rubber over time. How long that takes depends on usage. I don't know if you use E85 exclusively or not in your 6 years and 120k, but I would suggest keeping an eye on that area.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you trying to run an AEM wideband? If so here's a link to how to set it up.
http://forums.linkecu.com/topic/5690...eband-antilag/
Awesome! Thank!

Old 06-19-2019, 05:10 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
As requested here is a couple photos:

The first one here is to show you the locations of the 'expansion' connectors on the inside of the LinkECU, Blue Arrow is the CanBus Expansion Connector, Red Arrow is the Aux Expansion port, (this is the one that you can buy a harness for, I did not, I bought just the connector to make my own harness), I did this for a couple reasons first it WAYYYyyyyyy cheaper, second you have to drill a hole in the case, LinkECU suggest 1/4" I was never comfortable with that and by building my own harness I can just add the wires I will need/use and drill a much smaller hole. Yes I could just buy the pre-built cable but then you cut 75% of it off (see reason one)

In this shot you can see the 'dimple' that is provided for you to drill the hole for the expansion port / wiring

LinkECU Connector without wire (build it yourself)

Last edited by co0p3r; 06-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
narvarr (06-26-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM
ChrisJ
Neutral
I have recently bought an r53 as a project. I believe the DME is no good. I have heard of some people reprogramming a used DME to the car, but I cannot communicate with mine at all. I was considering doing a stand alone ECU as opposed to a new one from BMW as I may want to tune the car later down the road. Will the link g4 work to run a car with a 15% pulley just out of the box on its base map tune?
Is this really a cost effective alternative to new from BMW?

Old 07-13-2019, 05:38 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
The ECU from Link will run it with no problem, but what you really need to make sure is not bad is the 'body computer' because if that is damaged then all the other function like power windows and locks are not going to work correctly.

The base tune provided for the Link ECU will work, but you should really have it looked at once the car it running before running it regularly or hard.

The following users liked this post:
narvarr (07-13-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by co0p3r View Post
The ECU from Link will run it with no problem, but what you really need to make sure is not bad is the 'body computer' because if that is damaged then all the other function like power windows and locks are not going to work correctly.

The base tune provided for the Link ECU will work, but you should really have it looked at once the car it running before running it regularly or hard.
The MINI base tune that came with the MINILink I got for my R53 had aggressive timing (about 6 degrees too much timing for my motor configuration), and Knock Mode set to OFF. That's a dangerous combination. Install the MINILink ECU, make sure it starts the car and there are no errors indicated, then drive it gingerly to a competent tuner that also knows how to correctly configure Knock Control.