Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread) >

Drivetrain Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)

Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)

  #1  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)

I wanted to start a thread about the Link ECU G4+ Plug In ECU for the MINI Cooper S (first generation) cars, I know there was/is a sticky, but it’s a locked thread so we cannot make comments and questions.

I hope others that may have the ECU or planning on getting one will post here also so that people can learn about the installation and advantages of a standalone ECU.

I had one of these before in a 2005 MINI Cooper S it was a lot of fun, I had the Launch Control feature turned on but had not got to the No Lift Shift function. That car ended up in a big debacle and I moved on from it.

An opportunity came for this nicely equipped 2006 MINI Cooper S, it had been setup with some track parts installed. I don’t really care about the track parts and I am in the process of removing most of them and taking the car back to a pretty much stock configuration.

The performance upgrades I will do:
  • OEM JCW 380cc Injectors
  • GTT Stealth Airbox
  • OEM JCW Exhaust
  • Boost Gauge
  • 15% Pulley (already installed on the car)

So my goals for the car:
  • Install the Link ECU
  • Install Link G4+ CAN – Lambda Wideband O2 sensor
  • Have it tuned & Launch Control & No Lift Shift Setup
  • Install an OBDII connector on the LINK ECU so that my Garmin Camera will interface with it (using Bluetooth)
  • Drive the car, makes lots of loud obnoxious noise!

Physical installation of the ECU is pretty ease and straight forward, turn the car off and let the ECU go to sleep. Remove the factory ECU and plug in the new Link ECU. Connect a Laptop to the Link ECU via the provided USB interface, unlock the ECU, install the newest version of firmware and a base tune and start the car. It really is that ease, for that part.

To actually tune the car you need knowledge of what you are looking at when using the provided LinkG4+ software (I don’t have this knowledge). You will also need a Wideband O2 Sensor installed. On my previous 2005 I have a standard 0-5v+DC wideband. Link did not have the CAN-Lambda version at the time. So this time I will be installing the LINK wideband. This is slightly more involved you need, the LINK wiring harness, a relay, and an OBDII connector (if you want the OBDII functionality).

This setup is not a cheap option so I do not see most people going in for it. The ECU is 1200$, the CAN-Lambda is another 300$ and you will need another ~30$ for the connector cable. Then you still need to install it and program it/tune it.

I will post more here as I go along with the installation, setup and configuration. I would like to encourage anyone that has one already or is interested in the ECU to post in this thread also, I really do want to share the knowledge.


 
  #2  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Space saved for follow-up
 
  #3  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Alan
Alan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Braunfels, Tx
Posts: 514
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the MINILink G4+ in my R53 race car. It has an ENDYN big valve head, SneedSpeed R53 big intake plenum, stock cam advanced 10 degrees. 9.3 /1 compression pistons. Presently has stock supercharger pulley.

Uses the stock MINI sensors plus MTX-L 4.9 wideband Lambda sensor, and DIYAutoTune CAN-EGT for individual cylinder EGT.

Been refining tune for several months now. Initial tune done by local race shop tuner. Car will have certification dyno done in time for 2019 race season. Tune is being done with 100 octane race gas. Will convert (back) to E85 once timing is finalized.

Attached is the current tune file. Still needs some work / about 85% done. May need to install JCW pulley to get to the HP needed for GTS2.

Questions / Feedback welcome
 
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan:
co0p3r (10-29-2018), Joshua P (04-25-2019)
  #4  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have the MINILink G4+ in my R53 race car. It has an ENDYN big valve head, SneedSpeed R53 big intake plenum, stock cam advanced 10 degrees. 9.3 /1 compression pistons. Presently has stock supercharger pulley.
<snip>
An Endyn Head - neat never actually saw one of those, I know he stopped doing heads a good while ago, he was really skilled and had some really interesting ideas.

Thank you for commenting and I hope we can share some information. Are you doing the final tuning on the ECU/Tune?

I have built out motors before, but dont really wish to do that as all of my MINIs are road drivers, so I just want fun and reliability now.
 
  #5  
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Alan
Alan is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Braunfels, Tx
Posts: 514
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, I am doing the final tuning.
 
  #6  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
I finally got a little time to make up the harness for the CAN Lambda Sensor, I also got some 440cc injectors to install with the ECU.

 
  #7  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 AM
JKo
JKo is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Finland, Europe, Earth
Posts: 84
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Any progress with this?

What's the OBD2 functionality like? Asking because the yearly tech inspection over here includes an OBD2 check... they hook up a fault code reader to check if there are any active faults.
 
  #8  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JKo View Post
Any progress with this?

What's the OBD2 functionality like? Asking because the yearly tech inspection over here includes an OBD2 check... they hook up a fault code reader to check if there are any active faults.
I dont know if that will work, there was some take a few years ago when LinkECU first added the OBDII functionality about passing emissions test that plug in to see, I live in Florida so we dont have that, but someone in one of the states that does that said it would not work as there was no Readiness indicator . Now I dont know exactly what that means you might want to start a new thread about the OBDII functionality of the LinkECU or join the LinkECU forum and ask it there.
 
  #9  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:26 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also running the Link ECU with CAN-Lambda. Current setup is 16% pulley, RMW BVH, RMW shortly header, 550cc injectors, Dominator cam, JCW intake and GP intercooler. Will soon be switching to 1000cc injectors and adding an E85 kit.
I've been running this setup for about a year and a half.

 
  #10  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:20 PM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah I have not been able to get anyone to tune mine yet, so its still in the box Doh!
 
  #11  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by co0p3r View Post
Yeah I have not been able to get anyone to tune mine yet, so its still in the box Doh!
I know you know someone who can tune it for you.😉
 
  #12  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:53 PM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 328
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Well if you know them please send me a msg or have them do it as mine is sitting in a box.
 
  #13  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:27 AM
PeanutR53
PeanutR53 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What consists of installing the XS Expansion loom to use an AEM UEGO wideband? I know the case has to be drilled but is that all? I haven’t even opened my Link box yet to see what it even looks like.
 
  #14  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Co0p3r has some pics of the inside of his first Link that he could post. It will show the spot where the expansion harness should be plugged in. The software itself is very intuitive. If you're not sure of what something is, right click on it and click "what's this". It will open the help file with a detailed explanation.
 
  #15  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 AM
SuN13300
SuN13300 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, why would you want to add an e85 kit? You have a total access to engine tune settings with your standalone ECU. You can tune it for E85, It would be mucher better than adding a kit.

I can help you with the tune if you want
 
  #16  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuN13300 View Post
Hey, why would you want to add an e85 kit? You have a total access to engine tune settings with your standalone ECU. You can tune it for E85, It would be mucher better than adding a kit.

I can help you with the tune if you want
This isn't one of those kits you see on the internet. This one is specifically designed for the R53 with a Link ECU.

You need bigger injectors, compatible fuel lines, and an Ethenol content sensor for it to work to it's fullest potential on the Link. The ethenol content sensor (flex fuel sensor) is wired into the link with the expansion harness so it can adjust between the two fuel maps in the Link. This kit also comes with all the proper AN fittings to make it all work.

With the wide variations of ethenol percentage and the loose regulations of how much is required to be classified as E85, a flex fuel sensor is a good way to protect your engine. Only 51% ethenol is required to be considered E85. 51% is only like 88 octane. LOL
 
  #17  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 AM
SuN13300
SuN13300 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
This isn't one of those kits you see on the internet. This one is specifically designed for the R53 with a Link ECU.

You need bigger injectors, compatible fuel lines, and an Ethenol content sensor for it to work to it's fullest potential on the Link. The ethenol content sensor (flex fuel sensor) is wired into the link with the expansion harness so it can adjust between the two fuel maps in the Link. This kit also comes with all the proper AN fittings to make it all work.

With the wide variations of ethenol percentage and the loose regulations of how much is required to be classified as E85, a flex fuel sensor is a good way to protect your engine. Only 51% ethenol is required to be considered E85. 51% is only like 88 octane. LOL
Oh okay, there is a flex fuel kit, nice!

I have to disagree with you on the E85 RON... E10 is somewhere between RON96 and RON97. E50 is around RON100 and real E85 is around RON105
 
  #18  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:21 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuN13300 View Post
Oh okay, there is a flex fuel kit, nice!

I have to disagree with you on the E85 RON... E10 is somewhere between RON96 and RON97. E50 is around RON100 and real E85 is around RON105
RON is not the same as actual octane. Have a look an the conversion chart.

 
  #19  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:13 AM
SuN13300
SuN13300 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
RON is not the same as actual octane. Have a look an the conversion chart.
Yes, RON is calculated differently in EU and US. But you said E50 would be RON88, or in reality it would be somewhere between 95 and 100 according to US charts
 
  #20  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuN13300 View Post
Yes, RON is calculated differently in EU and US. But you said E50 would be RON88, or in reality it would be somewhere between 95 and 100 according to US charts
Nope. Over here, they mix E85 with the lowest grade octane gas. E15 is only 88 octane according to the sign at the pump itself. They don't mix for octane here, they mix for cost savings.
The E85 Market over here is different than other countries. It's not a booming market like other countries. I live in Big Oil country (Texas) and we just recently got an E85 pump close to me to make the conversion a sensible option.
 
  #21  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
Nope. Over here, they mix E85 with the lowest grade octane gas. E15 is only 88 octane according to the sign at the pump itself. They don't mix for octane here, they mix for cost savings.
The E85 Market over here is different than other countries. It's not a booming market like other countries. I live in Big Oil country (Texas) and we just recently got an E85 pump close to me to make the conversion a sensible option.

 
  #22  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM
SuN13300
SuN13300 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
Nope. Over here, they mix E85 with the lowest grade octane gas. E15 is only 88 octane according to the sign at the pump itself. They don't mix for octane here, they mix for cost savings.
The E85 Market over here is different than other countries. It's not a booming market like other countries. I live in Big Oil country (Texas) and we just recently got an E85 pump close to me to make the conversion a sensible option.
I agree with you, so I think I am misundterstanding because you said 51% ethanol (so roughly E50) is only 88AKI. Or, if E15 is already AKI88, E50 is around AKI 95-100, so it's still better (from a knock point of view) than pure unleaded. Am I clear?
 
  #23  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM
narvarr's Avatar
narvarr
narvarr is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rowlett, Tx
Posts: 41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuN13300 View Post
I agree with you, so I think I am misundterstanding because you said 51% ethanol (so roughly E50) is only 88AKI. Or, if E15 is already AKI88, E50 is around AKI 95-100, so it's still better (from a knock point of view) than pure unleaded. Am I clear?
At best, E51 is going to be roughly 90 octane.
 
  #24  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM
brusk
brusk is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
At best, E51 is going to be roughly 90 octane.
Maybe I'm missing something but even using a mix of 85 Octane gas and 110 Octane Ethanol an E51 Mix would have an octane mix of 97.5 to 98. At least according to the E calculators.
 
  #25  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:33 AM
JKo
JKo is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Finland, Europe, Earth
Posts: 84
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by narvarr View Post
This isn't one of those kits you see on the internet. This one is specifically designed for the R53 with a Link ECU.

You need bigger injectors, compatible fuel lines, and an Ethenol content sensor for it to work to it's fullest potential on the Link. The ethenol content sensor (flex fuel sensor) is wired into the link with the expansion harness so it can adjust between the two fuel maps in the Link. This kit also comes with all the proper AN fittings to make it all work.
I think R53 fuel lines are ethanol compatible. I've been driving mine on E85 for over six years and 120.000km so they probably would have failed already if they weren't.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Link ECU G4+ MINI Cooper Stand Alone ECU (thread)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.