Interior/Exterior So Where Do You Keep Your JCW Exhaust Bluetooth Remote? I Mounted Mine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM
bheights
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the dash but maybe on the lower instrument panel trim. Seems like there is a lot of room behind it (was thinking about a garage remote setup there as well). It's a $40 part to replace in case it doesn't go well.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
I'd rather have a hardwire replacement for the BT module. Add a non-locking toggle switch and a relay and do away with all the wireless crap. Until then I'll use the foam for my cupholder that came with the remote.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 PM
bheights
1st Gear
If someone is good at electronics they might be able to figure out how to solder some wires from the bluetooth receiver to make it a hardwire setup. Maybe?

Here is the FCC application with all of the details on the remote and the receiver.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=2ACUNRAT950

Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
In the door.

--Matt

The following users liked this post:
MKLight (06-11-2020)
Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The door! Not a bad idea at all.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:26 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
I always wanted it to be built-in

Hi All,

So I have always been thinking how can I have the remote built into the dashboard of my car, keeping an OEM look and feel.

Today, I had the guts to do it, and I decided to grab a hole saw bit along with my drill... and went for the dashboard....

results are remarkable... will leave you with these pics, and would love to hear your opinions

Goin2dirt (07-25-2021)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:30 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
10-4 Roger That!!!!

Awesome and ballsy!

Have you thought about losing the strap? Would possibly look more custom!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
Awesome and ballsy!

Agreed.

No strap would look cleaner, but strap looks fine too since it is add-on JCW performance accessory. Man that is a frickin' awesome solution.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:01 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Agreed.

No strap would look cleaner, but strap looks fine too since it is add-on JCW performance accessory. Man that is a frickin' awesome solution.
Would Love to remove it, but I am keeping it at the moment to make it easier to remove. I am also not sure how it would end up looking with the uneven red plastic ring.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:01 PM
vetsvette
If you're serious about removing the strap, it look like you could clip the "D" ring part off and with some judicious use of a fine small file make it look symmetrical. Looks good as is though. What size hole saw did you use? You've got me thinking now.

I still believe the best solution is to have the valve hardwired and controlled by a toggle switch on the dash. The BT system requires wiring from the front to rear of the car anyway, why add the complication of the BT system. Just more opportunities to fail in my opinion. The car has enough complicated systems, why add another unnecessarily. KISS!

Last edited by vetsvette; 01-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 PM
kattanah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
If you're serious about removing the strap, it look like you could clip the "D" ring part off and with some judicious use of a fine small file make it look symmetrical. Looks good as is though. What size hole saw did you use? You've got me thinking now.

I still believe the best solution is to have the valve hardwired and controlled by a toggle switch on the dash. The BT system requires wiring from the front to rear of the car anyway, why add the complication of the BT system. Just more opportunities to fail in my opinion. The car has enough complicated systems, why add another unnecessarily. KISS!
I actually my do that

I used a 29mm hole saw (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...bhz_bw_c_x_1_w) tip: punch it with your hands first, then use the drill.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
In my toolbox because I disabled the BT valve so it stays on track mode all the time. No need to press the button to turn it on anymore because it is always on.

http://vrosetta.blogspot.com/2016/12...uning-kit.html

MikeMJCW (09-23-2018)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
In my toolbox because I disabled the BT valve so it stays on track mode all the time. No need to press the button to turn it on anymore because it is always on.

I did that a few months ago - now the button lives in the glovebox.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done. What I want to know now is how that piece comes off you cut the hole in. I have always wondered about replacing with red JCW parts if I could find them.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 3rdcoastmini
Well done. What I want to know now is how that piece comes off you cut the hole in. I have always wondered about replacing with red JCW parts if I could find them.
The hole saw bit will catch the piece... it won't drop

Last edited by kattanah; 02-02-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette

So I decided to remove the strap, and keep the D ring for now... looks better

Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
It's more subtle without the strap. Looks great!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:53 AM
vetsvette
That does look much better. As of a couple of days ago I keep mine in the secret compartment. I never had a problem with mine until I started to wear my Apple Watch. On my 160 mile round trip to the dealer it shut off multiple times and I said the heck with it and disabled the BT and locked the baffle open.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Vetsvette did you disable by unplugging the BT from the unit in the trunk panel?

Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 AM
vetsvette
Yep.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM
SnowriderinFl
1st Gear
On the Steering Column

I mounted mine in the open space on the steering column right behind the directional lever. Held in place by Velcro (which is white, I ran out of black)

Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Okay, so not having the "acorns" to take a cutter to my dash, I opted for the above as a nest spot for mine. Tried it on the left side of the steering column and saw that it fits fine, but unless you use a Velcro to hold it in place, using the button pushes the unit deeper into the cavity. It does however stop at a point where you can easily push the button to activate it and using the strap to pull the unit out if you wish.

I then decided to move it to the right side of the column and find that is nests quite nicely there. I can active the button easily and when doing that, the unit doesn't get pushed deeper into that cavity. No Velcro is necessary for this position as the unit seems to be quite secure. I just unlocked the steering wheel adjustment handle, lowered the wheel. put the BL device in the opening and just raised and wheel enough to gently hold the BT unit in place. I don't fiddle with that steering adjustment at all when entering or leaving the car, so it's basically a "set and forget" deal for me.

Being at almost eye level, I can see it blinking occasionally without having to take my eyes off the road. You catch that red flash out of the corner of your eye.

Works great!

MKLight (06-11-2020)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 AM
arviddumon
Neutral
Originally Posted by kattanah
Would Love to remove it, but I am keeping it at the moment to make it easier to remove. I am also not sure how it would end up looking with the uneven red plastic ring.
​​​​​Do you still have the strap in one piece and are you willing to sell it for a reasonable price?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie

Thanks for that link It's so much nicer not messing with the remote every time I start the car and love that I don't have to worry about the valve randomly closing anymore. Now if I could find a way to have sport mode on by default, I'd shave another second off my startup routine

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 PM
arviddumon
Neutral
Originally Posted by kattanah
So I decided to remove the strap, and keep the D ring for now... looks better

you wouldn't still have the strap in one piece and are willing to sell just the strap?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior So Where Do You Keep Your JCW Exhaust Bluetooth Remote? I Mounted Mine