D Stock Smooth Throttle Application?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smooth Throttle Application?

I've been driving our new MCS around town for about 5 weeks now. But I've yet to autocross it (won't be until next season). I've noticed that it's kind of difficult to accelerate smoothly out of a turn. When/how the supercharger kicks in is kind of abrupt. (on/off switch)

Is this a problem that can be fixed? Or do I just need to learn to drive around it?

I'm sure glad we got the LSD, that's got to help!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
curv872
4th Gear
It's not the SC, sounds like you may have DSC turned on?
Try turning it off and accelerate out of the same turn.

Joe

Old 10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
No, it's the opposite problem. The power comes ON abruptly. Besides, we don't have DSC on our car. (we do have ASC though.....and I quickly learned to turn that off)

But that's for the suggestion!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Minut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mitchman
I've been driving our new MCS around town for about 5 weeks now. But I've yet to autocross it (won't be until next season). I've noticed that it's kind of difficult to accelerate smoothly out of a turn. When/how the supercharger kicks in is kind of abrupt. (on/off switch)

Is this a problem that can be fixed? Or do I just need to learn to drive around it?

The supercharger is always "on."

Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
The power curve of the supercharger is very linear, my suggestion would be to work on smoothing out yr right foot

Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Try being smoother with your throttle application.

The SC is not going to work at lowest RPM and really starts to do more after 3000-3500 RPM.

You might be noticing not much happening in the 1000-2500 RPMs then a big surge once rpms climb.

Stay in the lower gears longer and keep up RPM level.

Go for a ride in an MCS owned from someone who has done track and autocross alot and see how it feels. Any different or the same?

Here is an autocross video with an MCS and 17% pulley.
http://media.putfile.com/Run3DKMini
Do you notice the same ON or OFF SC?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Try being smoother with your throttle application.

The SC is not going to work at lowest RPM and really starts to do more after 3000-3500 RPM.

You might be noticing not much happening in the 1000-2500 RPMs then a big surge once rpms climb.

Stay in the lower gears longer and keep up RPM level.

Go for a ride in an MCS owned from someone who has done track and autocross alot and see how it feels. Any different or the same?

Here is an autocross video with an MCS and 17% pulley.
http://media.putfile.com/Run3DKMini
Do you notice the same ON or OFF SC?
I think that's the "problem". Driving around town, I don't run the car in the high rpm's like I would on an autocross track (been autocrossing 17 years). But I've never owned a superchanged or turbo car. I'm guessing the "surge" you're talking about is just something I need to get used to.

I don't notice it in the video. That's a pretty tight track, and what I notice is the driver jumping on the throttle exiting the tight turns.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
curv872
4th Gear

When you say accelerating out of a turn, are you talking about from a dead stop or are you already moving? I've noticed a surge in power from a dead stop when accelerating, but at speed, it's not noticeble. I'm guessing it has to do with the ECU program, being that the throttle pedal is elctronic and not cable driven. I'm curious to know is an aftermarket ECU flash helps with this hesitation?

Joe

Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
If you think the Supercharger has a power surge lag, wait till you drive a turbo. The 07's will have more lag, but it'll be interesting to see how much.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
It's not the problem I was talking about originally, but yes, I've noticed the same hesitation. It's almost like the engine floods for a second. I just have to remember to rev it up a bit more than normal before I let the clutch out.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:04 PM
rschumin
1st Gear

I have to agree with what the others have said. You really have to concentrate on squeezing in the gas coming out of turns. If you stomp the gas it will be wheelspin city!! It is even more important when you mount lightweight wheels and shorter R-compound tires.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:34 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might not be related to the SC, but more to the bypass valve. Even when smooth on the accelerator, there is a surge when the valve slams shut.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was extremely consious of this my first few laps at the track (HPDE), consequently I paid attention to it more and more as I racked up some laps by the end of the first session I was acceptably smooth, and by the end of the day I had the feel of it so down pat I haven't noticed it since just focus on easing in the pedal, with the elctronic vs. direct linkage gas pedal it takes some adapting to not be going from 'nil to full out all the time, but once you switch life gets much more controlable. As as you go around town and get on and off highways, just focus on being smooth, smooth, smooth (something I keep saying in my head) and ti will become second nature soon enough.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
It might not be related to the SC, but more to the bypass valve. Even when smooth on the accelerator, there is a surge when the valve slams shut.
This is the same conclusion I've finally come to. I'm continually refining my technique to minimize this effect. I try to think of my initial throttle input in terms of credit card thicknesses. This seems to help, but when the bypass valve closes, there is a power surge.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Bingo! This is what I was talking about. It wasn't a complaint, just an observation. I'm glad to hear that other people are dealing with it by adjusting their technique.

I think it's worse for me because I'm coming from a '99 Miata where you can pretty much floor it anywhere.