Solo Get the Most out of Solo School?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a couple of solo schools very soon. I have never been to a driving school and want to maximize my experience. Any tips?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM
MoFast
1st Gear
I took the Evolution school down here in Houston a few years ago. A few things that I remember are:

1) Accept the fact that you may go through a set of tires during the school. You're going to get a whole bunch of seat time in two days and there will be significant tire wear.

2) There's going to be so much information thrown at you there will be no way you can remember everything (kinda like taking college chemistry, you're lucky if you remember 5%). So, consider taking notes, if it is convenient.

3) In the end, the one thing I got out of my experience was to learn how to visualize the course in my head. Think "smooth". Another tip is to talk out loud to yourself while you are driving your practice run, or your first few runs. Basically, tell yourself what you are going to do as you are coming in to each element. That's a nice tip they taught us in the Evolution school. It makes you think.

4) Have a good time!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:48 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Train like you fight. If you plan on running r compounds use them in the school. Get your car straight before you go, you do not want to mess with adjusting air pressures, shock rates or sway bars. Listen and try everything you hear, and most important have fun.
Chris

Old 04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Hunter
3rd Gear
Although it may seem obvious, be humble. You're there to learn for a reason -- the teachers know more than you.

I was autocrossing with the local car club and even though my car was completely stock I would occasionally beat the modified boys. So, you can imagine what I thought of my abilities.

As I just posted on another thread, my very first run at my very first driving school and what do I do? Leave the handbrake on! Doesn't do much for your time, or brakes, I can tell you.

That got my attention, and I realized I didn't know anywhere near as much as I thought I did and that I would have to listen to the guy that owned the school and accept the fact that as he was a national champion he was probably quicker than me.

oh, yeah -- HAVE FUN!

Old 04-16-2004, 05:12 AM
JiminVirginia
2nd Gear
Don't be stubborn. Try different approaches to see how they work and what difference they make.

Don't get frustrated and respond by overdriving the car. Test the "slow to be fast" approach and the "smooth=fast" approach.

I was actually making some progress at the end of my last novice school in the WDCR when the day ended. I wished I had started experimenting earlier in the day.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:40 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
All good points! Thanks. I heard it might rain. Another opportunity to learn?

Old 04-16-2004, 09:04 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
The best. Rain punishes ham fisted driving. It will teach how to brake before turn-in. On the other hand, you can usally go faster than you would think is safe, even on r compounds.