Solo RWD vs FWD - ease of driving at autocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it really comes down to personal preference / skill. Personally, I have no experience autoxing anything other than the MINI! FTD / top ten in my region is spread pretty evenly among front, rear, and AWD. An SM Evo captured FTD most days this season, but there's a CRX and misc. BMWs whom also got it. I don't think any of these three platforms are inherently superior - or inferior - at autocrossing. It depends on the course, car, set-up, ETC. (Of course.)

I don't even think it's a question of which is easier to 'put the power to the ground' with. The tighter courses reward the better handling cars, which in my region might mean an '89-91 CRX Si or an early '80s BMW with totally built suspension. Faster courses reward the quicker (higher hp) cars. *shrug*

Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im totally not talking about the same thing. HAHA. I forgot that this totally applies to autocrossing. Never done it before. But I occasionally go to the track.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 AM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchman
RWD will always make for a better autocross car. But obviously, if you have too much power, that can make it more difficult to drive. But the same can be said of an overpowered FWD car.

Lack of power in either a FWD or RWD car makes the car easier to drive because there's one less thing to worry about (throttle).

FWD cars can hang with the RWD cars when the grip is higher (hot weather or concrete surfaces). But in low grip situations, the FWD cars really struggle to get off the corners.

I know about this first hand having switched from a Miata to the Mini. Honestly, I'm trying to figure out how to get back into a RWD car. The two main things I don't like about autocrossing a Mini are:
1) FWD (see above)
2) Front strut suspension (the car needs more camber and caster....the camber curve sucks compared to a Miata or other "sportscar")

But don't get me wrong, the Mini is a fun car! It's only when you get to compare side-by-side with other true sports cars that you realize it's deficiancys. It's MUCH more practical than the Miata! That's for sure!
It's funny that Mitch says this since I've watched him on several occasions and he's in the top 2-3 EVER week. Interesting Mitch Every time I see you your tearing it up. :-)