RSR Motorsports Coverage The forum for discussions related to RSR Motorsports campagin in the Grand Am Cup.

NASCAR Legend Ken Schrader Joins RSR Motorsports at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Rsstopper
Coordinator :: RSR Motorsports Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASCAR Legend Ken Schrader Joins RSR Motorsports at Road America

ELKHART LAKE, Wis.—NASCAR Sprint Cup legend Ken Schrader has driven a lot of racecars during his career, but he has never competed in a MINI Cooper S. That all changes next weekend, when Schrader joins RSR Motorsports to co-drive the No. 195 MINI Cooper S during the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race at Road America.

Schrader’s racing career includes 27 years as a NASCAR Sprint Cup driver. He has also competed in ARCA, USAC, various NASCAR series, and several dirt series. As team owner of Ken Schrader Racing, he currently fields driver Tom Hessert in ARCA. Schrader is also a popular commentator on SPEED and ESPN.

At Road America, Schrader will co-drive the No. 195 MINI with Dicky Riegel in the Street Tuner (ST) class of the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. While this is the first time they have driven together, their partnership reaches back a decade. Riegel is Group President of Thor Industries, and Schrader can usually be found in one of the company’s motorhomes at the racetrack.

“We’ve been working with Dicky and Thor Motor Coach for many years,” says Schrader. “As a family, we’ve owned and enjoyed many Thor motorhomes. The Schrader family stayed connected throughout my career because we were able to stay in Thor motorhomes at racetracks all over North America. Our family loves RVing and it has been our solution for combining my racing and making time to be together as a family.”

Schrader’s ties to RSR Motorsports also extend to team owner Randall Smalley, whose company Cruise America has long utilized Thor Motor Coaches. Smalley, Riegel and Schrader all met through Thor Motor Coach, but it was a weekend of racing modifieds together that really sealed the friendship for Smalley.

The 2.5-hour race, which kicks off at 7:15 p.m. ET on Friday, June 24, will be Schrader’s first appearance at Road America. “I have known Dicky for a long time and look forward to co-driving with him. We hope to bring home this trophy to add to our other road course wins at Sonoma, Topeka, Lime Rock, and Riverside. The challenges of roadracing really test your skills as a driver and I always welcome such a challenge,” says Schrader.

“Ken absolutely loves being in a race car, any race car, and I know that he's relishing his opportunity to drive the MINI, a new car for him, at Road America, a new track for him. There's no doubt that Ken will be fast, and will take to the MINI right away,” says Riegel, who adds that Schrader’s example of taking every opportunity to race has influenced his own career as a driver.

Riegel aptly sums up the feelings of RSR Motorsports, saying, “The entire RSR team is looking forward to welcoming Ken into the paddock, and as a new member of RSR Motorsports.”

Follow along with Schrader and RSR Motorsports at Road America by visiting www.RSRMotorsports.com.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, Performance Friction Rotors, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Midway Ford Truck Sales, Mini North Scottsdale, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

###

Beth Dolgner
2119 Marshalls Lane SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
bdolgner@gmail.com

Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
sdmidget
4th Gear
Cool ...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 AM
tennesseemini
2nd Gear
Very cool indeed!! Ken Schrader is a true racer. When he was a NASCAR regular, he would try to find a sprint car, modified, or something to race nearly every weekend. I am excited to see what he will do in the Mini.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
errr... I assume you'll have the chat with Ken about the "rubbing is racing" tradition he's accustomed to?