Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Race prepping the Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Race prepping the Mini?

If anyone is thinking of getting their Mini (or any other BMW) on the track, then this is a good place to start.
CLICK HERE
These are the BMWCCA rules for racing. It's a good place to see just what might be required to prep your car. Even if you just plan on modding for DEs, this document may help save you some big bucks down the road if you decide to take it to the next step, racing. It's a good guide to what NOT to spend your money on.
It will also answer many questions on how to set up your belts, seats and safety equipment.
Do take the time to look it over.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, quick read-NOT, Lots of detailed stuff

Old 02-18-2006, 08:13 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
onalsed....... what's progress of your car? got any pics?
where are you planning to race this year?
Maybe I could come out and help you crew, if you are interested - I live in Norwalk, CT.....
rsvp -
cheers,
peter

Old 02-18-2006, 01:11 PM
jammin636
3rd Gear
so u cant get on a track without a rollcage?

Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 PM
onasled
Banned
Peter,
At some time I will start a thread about the cars progress. As a matter of fact I just came in from the chassis shop where we are still working out the engineering of what we will in fact do. Being that this will not just be a Mini with a cage, it will take some time to get this done.
As some already know, I have been very fortunate to pick up an excellent sponsor, M7. To date Peter (of M7) has been very valuable with helping "Team Onasled" () in many ways.
I have not spoken much about the car due to the fact that I wanted to know exactly what the end product will be before I speculate on it. I can say though that one way or the other it will be one of the most sophisticated race Minis around, hence why the length time it will be taking. Chassis, suspension and body will come first though, and then the power. I find it more important to build the best foundation possible and then add the power. Of course money is the big timing factor here.
Anyway, before I say too much, I will get more info together along with photos, and I will start a new thread. I can assure you that no one here will be disappointed in the final outcome.
Greg V

Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by jammin636
so u cant get on a track without a rollcage?
Not racing, but with DEs (drivers eds).
There are several groups you can do this with. I recomend you join the BMWCCA and start with them. Absolutly you should try it

Old 02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
so ur saying that i cant race without a rollcage right? but i can do drivers schools and track days i hope. ive been looking into the bmwcca, i havent joined yet bc ive been researching to see if theirs anything i need to do to the car to autocross etc.. the closest chapter to me is the genesee valley chapter. i really really want to go to the first autocross of the year in may. does anyone know if id have to do anything to the car? and maybe what class id be in. i have a mcs with a cai and 15% pulley. also looking to get wheels. thanks a ton

Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Greg,

When you start your thread ... Could you post references for where you found items you bought or the supplier, I know there is a lot of "searching" and choices, it would help us, who are behind you in this process

Example:

1. Seats -
2. 6 point harness-
3. Hans device-
4. Fire Extinguisher-system-
5. Roll bar padding-
6. Racing suit-
7. Graphics and Design-
8. Brake cooling ducts-
9. Oil-Coolant
10. Intercooler-

Thanks

Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by RED FURY
Greg,

When you start your thread ... Could you post references for where you found items you bought or the supplier, I know there is a lot of "searching" and choices, it would help us, who are behind you in this process

Thanks
I shop around the net and my local race shop usually has the same price. I'm actually heading out there today to pick up the fire system and fuel cell. Otherwise, things like belts and suits came from saferacer.com

1. Seats - Kirkey 53 series . Local shop
2. 6 point harness- G-Force Pro. Saferacer.com
3. Hans device- Directly through them as they honored the lowest price I found
4. Fire Extinguisher-system- Local shop
5. Roll bar padding- local shop
6. Racing suit- At this time G-force Pro, saferacer.com
7. Graphics and Design-
8. Brake cooling ducts- local shop
9. Oil-Coolant
10. Intercooler- M7 of course .. ()

I'll try my best to have a very informitve website that will keep track of the building prosses and in car videos.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
Greg,
Sounds like a very good approach - chassis and suspension first, then power train. Seems like you're building the car for BMWCCA or Phil Wick's racing programs - great project - looking forward to future updates! Best of luck!..... cheers, Peter

Originally Posted by onasled
Peter,
At some time I will start a thread about the cars progress. As a matter of fact I just came in from the chassis shop where we are still working out the engineering of what we will in fact do. Being that this will not just be a Mini with a cage, it will take some time to get this done.
As some already know, I have been very fortunate to pick up an excellent sponsor, M7. To date Peter (of M7) has been very valuable with helping "Team Onasled" () in many ways.
I have not spoken much about the car due to the fact that I wanted to know exactly what the end product will be before I speculate on it. I can say though that one way or the other it will be one of the most sophisticated race Minis around, hence why the length time it will be taking. Chassis, suspension and body will come first though, and then the power. I find it more important to build the best foundation possible and then add the power. Of course money is the big timing factor here.
Anyway, before I say too much, I will get more info together along with photos, and I will start a new thread. I can assure you that no one here will be disappointed in the final outcome.
Greg V

Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about starting a new thread on this... but I'm not a racer, yet I think I've found something that could be of some help... the rear grilles.

As many know, weight-reduction is much easier in the rear of the MINI as compared to the front. This makes the rear end light, and I've found a little to much so at higher speeds. Having the stock catback removed in place of straight system (battery box gone), the large silencers, or resonator & muffler, are no longer there...

It seemed that air traveling under the car would get caught-up back there, with no escape, making it more buoyant. Our stock rear grilles are of course plugged, not being true grilles allowing for airflow... Seeing all of the crap and debris plastered back there just seemed to further confirm my thoughts that openning these up might help...

While not the best photo (click for a larger version), here's a shot with them removed:

While this was done a week or so ago, I finally had some dry roads this morning (early, no traffic), and it does feel like the rear end is not lifting-up as much. I did this a couple times, and the car just felt more stable, less squirrelly...

And, as an added benefit, with a quick peak, I can see my various marks to make sure that my control arms, drop-links, etc have not moved... oh, and the .5 lbs savings .

Old 02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
onasled
Banned
Tony, you are such a weight weenie ...

What you have done is a very good idea and a good start. Back when I had my car in one piece I had done the same, but a bit more.
I removed the backup light and cut a spot there for the exhaust to exit, thus getting my muffler up higher. I then removed that lower plastic rear valance. I then bent up and trimmed all of the stock heat shield so that the air flowed out the back with ease.
In reality by doing this you are actually making a very crude rear diverter which in turn actually adds a good amount of rear downforce at speed.
And Tony, I think I removed another 1lb!!

Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Good work Tony ... I may try that

Where is that weight loss thread you did ?

Yes, We need to concentrate on front weight shaving, seems I am adding it

Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Tony,

I've got my first set of rear diffusers just about finished. Starts from the rear control links and goes to the top of the rear grills. Ramps up real nice and cleans up the bottom of the car. One on each side of the exhaust as the exhaust goes straight out the back. I havn't decided yet if I'll cut out the bottom of the bumpers to clean up the back and for better air flow. I'll post some pic's later. I have one sitting on the bench.

Now I've added weight, but also gained some down force.

Rich

Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Weight weenie... Greg, if you saw me later in the day, well, I did something a la the Miata guys! I took-out the Dremel, and with a cutting wheel, I zipped-off the outboard exhaust hanger studs (4), plus 3 or 4 other smaller ones that were used to fasten the aluminum shielding. It's a state-of-mind thing, to darn near an addiction I'm getting this ride to 2,400 pounds max (1/4 tank gas) one way or another, while still keeping her an aesthetically pleasing, with ammenities...

Greg, Peter's (M7) MINI also had the reverse light out for his exhaust, and a very similar set-up as you explained...

Phil, I don't think I ever started a weight loss thread, but I certainly contributed to more than a few .

Rich, I remember talking with you about this in an earlier thread... Your diffusers go the top of the rear grilles, or the bottom of them? I would guess the bottom, but yes, I'd like to see a photo or two... At this point, I'm not going to make something like this. I certainly thought about it... If I ever begin tracking my MINI to where I can really push it beyond my canyon runs, I think then I'll revisit the idea for sure. Please do share!

Old 02-21-2006, 05:02 AM
onasled
Banned
Rich,
Do plan on stiffer springs for the rears if your defuser is effective. Everyone I've spocken with that have used this have had to do the same. Look forward to seeing this also.

Tony, did you ever attempt the washer hose?

I still hope to have my car at or around 2K.

Here is a sweet defuser that can be had from some guys over in GB (I think)
About $900 .... Not Mini specific, but with some cutting, it will fit.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Greg, if you hit 2k, that would be very impressive, and I'd love to see you do it! Nuzzo's cars are like 2,200 pounds, so it will be tough. I'm guessing that 2,100 will be achieveable. Curious to know what Alain has his MCS at...

I guess one will need to strike a balance with how much down force will be desireable. Too much will obviously slow the car down in the straights, and considering that's already where we typically lose ground to other cars, adjustability would be nice...

Along those lines... Greg, care to share your power-enchancing mods with us?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by TonyB
Greg, if you hit 2k, that would be very impressive, and I'd love to see you do it! Nuzzo's cars are like 2,200 pounds, so it will be tough. I'm guessing that 2,100 will be achieveable. Curious to know what Alain has his MCS at...

I guess one will need to strike a balance with how much down force will be desireable. Too much will obviously slow the car down in the straights, and considering that's already where we typically lose ground to other cars, adjustability would be nice...

Along those lines... Greg, care to share your power-enchancing mods with us?
If in fact Tony is as low as 2200, then achieving 2K should be a possibility. Tony hasn't, or can't for that matter, removed many things that I can. The Grand Am rules are little better then SS rules. Not a whole lot that's allowed there.
Of course this all is dependent on just what my direction is with my car. What I mean is that it could go minimal, (the way the Webb Mule was during the last few races) or it could go major. I won't describe that yet because I don't want to have to live up to it... The later could get me in the 2K range.

That's one thing good about the diffuser as opposed to a rear wing. More downforce with les drag.

As far as power mods, it's one of the further things from mind right now. Car gets set up first and then I'll really think about power, but let's just say that it will remain FWD (for now ... ). SO, I'll most likely be running most all M7 bolt on mods and a modified M7 head.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Do plan on stiffer springs for the rears if your diffuser is effective. Everyone I've spoken with that have used this have had to do the same. Look forward to seeing this also.
Tony, My new KW RACE 2 WAYS are on order. Let's say the spring rates are way up there. And yes the rears are higher. I'll be able to say more after the race at Laguna Seca on March 11/12.

I like the carbon? diffuser, the one I'm making is aluminum 6061. Today I'm in San Jose and won't be back home till Wednesday night to post some pics.

BTW, I installed the new Racetech 4009WTHR seat this weekend. Man it's a big seat. Nicely made. I mounted it on sliders but I might have to change that as it sets about 2 inchs taller and my helmet hits the side roll bar, not good.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
If in fact Tony is as low as 2200, then achieving 2K should be a possibility. Tony hasn't, or can't for that matter, removed many things that I can. The Grand Am rules are little better then SS rules. Not a whole lot that's allowed there.
Of course this all is dependent on just what my direction is with my car. What I mean is that it could go minimal, (the way the Webb Mule was during the last few races) or it could go major. I won't describe that yet because I don't want to have to live up to it... The later could get me in the 2K range.

That's one thing good about the diffuser as opposed to a rear wing. More downforce with les drag.

As far as power mods, it's one of the further things from mind right now. Car gets set up first and then I'll really think about power, but let's just say that it will remain FWD (for now ... ). SO, I'll most likely be running most all M7 bolt on mods and a modified M7 head.
Yah, GrandAm does pose it's share of restrictions, so more can be shed. How much is the question... Tony's doors are hollowed-out, and he has images of his headlights where they once were, so he's done some things that are not easily seen on photos...

Speaking of Webb (your "minimalist" reference), while his set-up is very refined, his last few races included the A/C (23lbs)! I think that's gone by now though... And I believe he was running with his sunroof (53lbs?) as well, and that is being taken care of... He just recently starting to take weight seriously...

Curious to see what you do for intercooling. If you lose your headlights, you can talk to Nuzzo about his FMIC. Peter will have something pretty special during the Spring...

Oh, after your explanation of the work involved, I have not attempted to remove the rear wiper plumbing. I'll need to plan a little more time for that one .

Rich, I'd like to come and watch ya on that weekend at Laguna. How/where does one get tickets?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:25 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
On a lighter note:

Randy may want to get a hair cut too, that would be about 2 pounds !!! He was lookin a bit shaggy at Laguna ...LOL

Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
He will probably go to his Spring/Summer crew cut fairly soon. The long hair probably helps keep him warm in CO . Seriously, I tend to grow my hair longer, including facial hair, in the colder months...

Old 02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
onasled
Banned
I hear he is doing even more to lighten the Mule. That's why I said "the way the Webb Mule was during the last few races".

Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Ah, now I see what you mean... I took minimal as a minimum of stuff on his car. You meant not doing everything possible... We now have clarity my friend... The typed word often presents challenges... I really look forward to seeing you car evolve Greg! Please share any/all that you can with us... Thanks.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
onasled
Banned
Yea Tony, I'm certainly not criticizing the Webb mule. It's without a doubt a well built track car. I was only really using it as an example as it's a well known car here on NAM. I don't get to criticize it until I beat it ....

Quick Reply: Race prepping the Mini?