Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

RACING SEATS - for the MINI - Which ones to consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed.

even within sanctioning bodies, there can be conflicts in the rules (thinking of SCCA autocross vs road racing vs rally). I have been a NASA member for some years through our rally team activities and am glad to see them coming to Colorado. I envy the racing scene in southern CA.

I keep hearing complaints about car counts at events but if the rules makers would give a little more thought to some classes and rules then car counts would be better.

from what I have researched so far. (Cooper S)

- an SCCA SSC Mini would be legal for the Cooper Championship in class 3 but would be outclassed
- a SCCA SCC Mini is not legal or competitive with the NASA Mini Challenge, nor NASA other classes.
- a Grand Am Mini is not legal for the NASA MC or other classes
- a Grand Am Mini will be legal for the Cooper Championship, class 3 (I think?)
- a Cooper Champ mini will be legal for NASA depending on class, and running spec tires.
- a Cooper Champ mini will not be legal for SCCA SSC

ALL the above changes if the Cooper Challenge goes to FIA spec in 2007.

Sorry to hijack the seat thread.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
The Momo RS GT and RS2 GT are fairly light and are bottom mount. The RS2 GT is micro adjustable at 21.2lbs and the RS GT is 16.2lbs. I think I might go with these and scrap the sliders on the passengers side. Then, for the drivers side, just use the factory sliders. I figure this could save 25lbs on the passengers side and maybe 8-10lbs on the drivers side for a total of 35lbs or so.

The good part about these seats, and, the only reason I am considering them is because they accomidate larger drivers. The Evo 2's would be OK, but, I was told their actual weight was 21lbs or so unlike their published weight. So, I figure what the heck, I might as well go with the Momo's and have a little adjustability for the driver.

This mis-matched set will run roughly $700 plus shipping.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
I may go with a single seat = Cobra Suzuka or Suzuka GT (34" or larger waist)

What bracket do I need to connect to the stock slider on these?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red, it's my understanding that the Cobra willl need their side mounts that mate-up to their own universal slider. I've never heard of anyone using the stock one. Sure it might be possible with some fabrication though. If you do it, let us know...

Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
You can use the factoty slider with the SUZUKA race bucket been there and done that. Rank 10 out of 10 for the Cobra.
I have PM'd him about this ... waiting to hear

Old 01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Damn, I guess I've missed a few posts, lol!

You might want to call him... I think he's in Hawaii though... Peter of M7 has Suzuka's, and he might be aware of this also... Interesting.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Cobra Suzuka

red fury

I used the COBRA alloy side rails on the factory sliders and little modification needed but it's was easy Yes, Peter has two c.f race seats fs. but I only needed one I purchased mine from subesports (Andreas)

Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Pics please ...

Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
The Momo RS GT and RS2 GT are fairly light and are bottom mount. The RS2 GT is micro adjustable at 21.2lbs and the RS GT is 16.2lbs. I think I might go with these and scrap the sliders on the passengers side. Then, for the drivers side, just use the factory sliders. I figure this could save 25lbs on the passengers side and maybe 8-10lbs on the drivers side for a total of 35lbs or so.

The good part about these seats, and, the only reason I am considering them is because they accomidate larger drivers. The Evo 2's would be OK, but, I was told their actual weight was 21lbs or so unlike their published weight. So, I figure what the heck, I might as well go with the Momo's and have a little adjustability for the driver.

This mis-matched set will run roughly $700 plus shipping.
The RS2 GT, and adjustable seat, at 21.2 lbs?!

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/shopmomo/seats.pdf

It would be nice to have that actually verified... It seems to have it slide, just one part is needed, #1120, or is the bracket also required (SB 2058 or SB 2059?:

http://www.shopmomo.com/sebrapch.html

If so, then what are the weights on those items?

Ok... Just called RHAD and got Jeff to answer some questions. Both the bracket (SB 2058/9) and the slider (1120) are needed. While he didn't have the exact ones in stock, he did for a CRX, and the the bracket weighed 7 lbs, and the slider 6...

So, right near 35 pounds total... about a 10 pound savings vs stock, per seat...

For those who want to use the stock seat belt at times, it would be nice to keep the stock asembly though, as I believe the belt catch is secured to it...

Just sort of talking out loud, and sharing...

Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
I have a firm quote on the RS and RS2 GT right now and I'm getting ready to place the order, pending that he will take them back if they don't weigh as advertised. I am trying to get him to weigh them before I place my order though.

I find it hard to believe they are really 21.2lbs. However, they are only MICRO-adjustable, so, you cannot just pull a lever and lean them forward to access the back seat. I suppose Micro is better than Nothing at all. :-)

He said the brackets were 7lbs for the floor mount and 5lbs for the slider. I think he's guessing though. That would put my setup with RS GT floor mounted on the passengers side at 23.2lbs and the RS2 GT at 33.2lbs for a total of roughly 34lbs in savings. Not too shabby for less than $900 including brackets.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
I just ordered 1 Cobra Suzuka GT bucket .... Alloy side brackets

I will retain the stock passenger to use the back seat, occasionally

I will remove the stock passenger when i track the car

Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
To be honest, I really don't care if it reclines, or has minor incline adjustments. The only reason I want (decided upon) an adjustable seat is for saftey reasons. I was informed that in case of a roll over, without some type of bar in place, one should not have a fixed back seat. Is that correct? Seems to make sense... that one would want a hinged seat that will give-away. I assume that these qualify as such, thus my interest.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
A roll bar of some type will be coming soon ... As for the kevlar seat, FIA approved and already shipped, same day service

Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Built-by-Bones
agreed.

even within sanctioning bodies, there can be conflicts in the rules (thinking of SCCA autocross vs road racing vs rally). I have been a NASA member for some years through our rally team activities and am glad to see them coming to Colorado. I envy the racing scene in southern CA.

I keep hearing complaints about car counts at events but if the rules makers would give a little more thought to some classes and rules then car counts would be better.

from what I have researched so far. (Cooper S)

- an SCCA SSC Mini would be legal for the Cooper Championship in class 3 but would be outclassed
- a SCCA SCC Mini is not legal or competitive with the NASA Mini Challenge, nor NASA other classes.
- a Grand Am Mini is not legal for the NASA MC or other classes
- a Grand Am Mini will be legal for the Cooper Championship, class 3 (I think?)
- a Cooper Champ mini will be legal for NASA depending on class, and running spec tires.
- a Cooper Champ mini will not be legal for SCCA SSC

ALL the above changes if the Cooper Challenge goes to FIA spec in 2007.

Sorry to hijack the seat thread.
It WILL GO TO FIA in 2007, I spoke with Phil Wicks today about that