Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

TWINI - Twin Engine R53 Enduro to run the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWINI - Twin Engine R53 Enduro to run the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Here is a link to an interview we had with Jacques Andres of Bay Bridge Bimmers & Minis at Sonoma Raceway (aka Sears Point, Infineon) yesterday during the second test session for TWINI

http://miniology.com/2013/07/miniolo...ini-july-2013/

Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
TWINI Test Day 3 "Havin' Some Fun" Enjoy the short videos

15 July 2013

Here's a little clip from the top of Turn 2 at Sonoma Raceway. It's a prelude for what happened next. You won't believe it.

Back Stretch Closing

So what happened?

In the previous video you can see the rainbow colored car leading TWINI up through Turn 2. The video below shows them going through Turns 8 and 9 on the back stretch The lead car is a quarter million dollar TRG racing Aston Martin driven by a professional racer who runs a BMW in Grand AM. Racing verity: one driver on the track is a test. Two drivers is a race. Jacques was hunting him down. The rear brakes on TWINI are too strong. Jacques found himself going sideways in Turn 7 under heavy braking as the rear end tried to come around. The Aston driver bobbled Turn 10 and TWINI closed the gap. Drama ensued at the entrance to Turn 11. Getting on the binders hard going in, Jacques felt the rear end of the MINI stepping out and the car started to spin. It turned 180 degrees and was quickly heading backward toward the wall. Jacques flicked the transmission into first gear, mashed the throttle and popped the clutch Both engines shrieked and all four tires lit up as he did a burnout of Biblical proportions and got back into the corner. Thumbs up were hanging out of all the garage windows when he pulled the car around into the pits intact. The corner worker in Turn 11 said, "That was the greatest save I have ever seen." Jacques credits the 100 mile ride on his big KTM dirt bike the day before for his quick reaction. "Back country dirt biking is the best driver training ever. Things happen so fast on a motorcycle. In the car, time seemed to slow down. I had plenty of time to make my decision and put it into action. That was an amazing polar moment!"

Later we found out from the AM driver that he looked in his mirrors on the back stretch and saw TWINI closing. He was so surprised that he missed his apex on Turn 10.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Chris Knox wrote:
Excited to announce I will be driving "TWINI" later this year in the 25 hours of Thunderhill! Twin engined, 500+hp, 4WD with aero. I predict some giant killing fun! Please visit the TWINI page and click like and follow the development of this unique car! Jacques Andres Norman Nelson Ian Rae Jerry Bradbury

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA
JULY 11 2013

... Bay Bridge Bimmers and Minis and the TWINI Team are excited to welcome Scottish driver Chris Knox, winner of the MINI Challenge UK in 2011 and a veteran of Randy Smalley’s RSR MINI Racing Team here in the States. Chris will join drivers Jacques Andres and Steve Romack behind the wheel of TWINI, the twin engine MINI Cooper race car at the daunting 25 Hours of Thunderhill endurance race held annually by the National Auto Sport Association at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA. Thunderhill in winter is always cold and often wet. Knox has demonstrated his talent as a raindancer in races at Castle Combe in the UK and at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. Jacques Andres, co-owner, builder and driver of TWINI said, “I am very pleased to have someone on the team as excited about racing in the rain as I am.”