Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

RMW and Maitland Importers smash Road Atlanta record

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 AM
MaitlandImports
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, Got the video... I'll have pictures here in a bit. This was the saturday morning video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJB_4UYMb8

After going through the data from Saturday and watching the above video I saw a couple spots I could have picked up a fair share so I was anxious to give it a go on sunday.
Sunday I put fresh tires on the car and decided to go for it. It was extremely hot by the time we went out and car is always fastest on it's first lap due to heat. The way they line up is from previous days times, I was lined up behind a few Z06's and 911's with a Viper ACR in front. I knew I was faster then just about all of them through the first part of the course so I tired to time a gap of about 3 seconds (goal being to catch them just as entering the straight and pick up a slight draft for a bit). The plan back fired bad as I ended up passing the first Z06 on the outside of turn 4 and the 911 on the inside of turn 5. The lap was essentially shot. I crusied around slowly looking for a gap in traffic to run another flyer. I eventually found a gap but caught a Z06 coming down the hill to the start finish line. I passed him on the outside but still had to come out of pretty good till I could figure which line he was going to let me have. Still great weekend with good laps. Lots of people coming up asking what the devil I had done to that mini. HEHE.
We got some good testing during the practice Sat morning and found a pretty neat item that yielded a very unexpected result. I'm compiling the data so Jan can share with all!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't wait to see the data...............

woo hoo............. the times will only keep getting faster and farther away from the competition

Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job Ian and thanks for the first hand debrief!!! I anxiously await the "Pretty Neat Item"!!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
"Pretty Neat Item" = me rubbing the head of my Ian voodoo doll all day yesterday. I knew it would work. But Ian didn't expect it to.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM
uzun
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaitlandImports
Hey guys, Got the video... I'll have pictures here in a bit. This was the saturday morning video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJB_4UYMb8

After going through the data from Saturday and watching the above video I saw a couple spots I could have picked up a fair share so I was anxious to give it a go on sunday.
Sunday I put fresh tires on the car and decided to go for it. It was extremely hot by the time we went out and car is always fastest on it's first lap due to heat. The way they line up is from previous days times, I was lined up behind a few Z06's and 911's with a Viper ACR in front. I knew I was faster then just about all of them through the first part of the course so I tired to time a gap of about 3 seconds (goal being to catch them just as entering the straight and pick up a slight draft for a bit). The plan back fired bad as I ended up passing the first Z06 on the outside of turn 4 and the 911 on the inside of turn 5. The lap was essentially shot. I crusied around slowly looking for a gap in traffic to run another flyer. I eventually found a gap but caught a Z06 coming down the hill to the start finish line. I passed him on the outside but still had to come out of pretty good till I could figure which line he was going to let me have. Still great weekend with good laps. Lots of people coming up asking what the devil I had done to that mini. HEHE.
We got some good testing during the practice Sat morning and found a pretty neat item that yielded a very unexpected result. I'm compiling the data so Jan can share with all!
Awesome video! Congrats again!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by minimarks
Great job Ian and thanks for the first hand debrief!!! I anxiously await the "Pretty Neat Item"!!!!
the data that was told to me by Ian on Saturday with the same tires ........ it's scary good

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
"Pretty Neat Item" = me rubbing the head of my Ian voodoo doll all day yesterday. I knew it would work. But Ian didn't expect it to.
these dolls will be available as soon as possible... "you too can drive like Ian dolls" $19.99 + shipping and handling fee

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 08-10-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
My cell phone is on!!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
My cell phone is on!!

I'll call you in a few, heading out to beach soon.... and enjoy Puerto Rico's beautiful sights

Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Yes, I hear the wildlife is truly beautiful there.....

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Yes, I hear the wildlife is truly beautiful there.....

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Rumor from Hotlanta is that a certain Mini driver has "Man Bearings".....

Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Rumor from Hotlanta is that a certain Mini driver has "Man Bearings".....
I think that can be verified along with his postal certification
nothing like deliverin the mail on time....everytime!!!!

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 08-10-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Mailman delivers
Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
These MINIs are getting faast!
They even look fast in the video
Nice job guys.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
These MINIs are getting faast!
They even look fast in the video
Nice job guys.

probably because they are did you realise this is still a street car?

these times would have broken the record of Z06s 2 years ago that are still 2 classes above Ian
Anyone doubting what we have done just isn't up to date with racing
what you are seeing is history

here is what some people who were at the track were saying on the net

jason wrote:
That Mini was f-f-f-f-flying.

the person that set that old TTC record (the one Ian broke this past weekend I hear) went on to win the National Championship... so

I have been out to NASA events in many aspects, on track, working, as a photographer, and I am rarely surprised anymore...that Mini surprised me, that thing was just hauling the mail like it had jet propulsion. And when I saw the time sheets... Kudos to him, his man bearings are much bigger than mine will ever be.

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 08-10-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: it's a street car................
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
user 7082082
Banned
Just watching that video and how late he brakes makes me nervous. Ian has some great driving skills.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
Just watching that video and how late he brakes makes me nervous. Ian has some great driving skills.

watch his G-Force meter
and in the cornering....
just think if we had a race car and aero put on it.................

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
It's called "car control", I was really impressed with how little steering input he was using after he took a set in the turn, just released and let the car go and you could hardly tell when he changed a gear!!! Got a HPDE coming up at VIR, how I'd love to get a little one on one instruction from him!!

PS: Ian,are you related to Jackie? :-)

Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
It's called "car control", I was really impressed with how little steering input he was using after he took a set in the turn, just released and let the car go and you could hardly tell when he changed a gear!!! Got a HPDE coming up at VIR, how I'd love to get a little one on one instruction from him!!

this is something Ian and I have worked on.... getting the car easy to drive
we found out some great things this last weekend that all RMW cars will be benefitting in the future for faster lap times..... our competitors will be chasing for quite some time

it's great being on the RMW inside

Ian's great about trying the stuff as it takes a pro to get consistent enough to get quality data..... and this data is amazing to see

what this does in the long run is gives you an advantage of racing against other marks instead of competing against "other" Mini's as the standard in racing. I see spec series as something made when you can't compete against other marks. We are changing the rules when it comes to racing in open competition

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM
meh
2nd Gear
Congratulations Ian & Jan; this is definitely exciting to see!!!
Jan, how is that new lobster look you are sporting?
Marty

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by meh
Congratulations Ian & Jan; this is definitely exciting to see!!!
Jan, how is that new lobster look you are sporting?
Marty
Lol
I've been going through aloe Vera with lidacane like mad so I only look half charred now

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
MaitlandImports
3rd Gear

HAHA, I wish! maybe Distant, I've got some Scottish in me.

VIR is a challenge for me to get to, But I do love instructing. ask UZUN, he was one of my students at sebring a few months ago.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
I don't know Ian, bring your car up and see what it'll do on VIR and compare it to the times the RSR cars will be doing at the Koni!!!! Then ya could give me some tips in your down time!!

Seriously, your doing one heck of a job and if we're ever near the same place I'd love to get ya to show me a few things!

PS: Figured ya had to have some Scott in ya, sense all my family came from there I'm a bit partial to the lot...actually think the bearing was invented there..LOL

Last edited by minimarks; 08-10-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 AM
MaitlandImports
3rd Gear
I don't know Ian, bring your car up and see what it'll do on VIR and compare it to the times the RSR cars will be doing at the Koni!!!! Then ya could give me some tips in your down time!!

Seriously, your doing one heck of a job and if we're ever near the same place I'd love to get ya to show me a few things!

PS: Figured ya had to have some Scott in ya, sense all my family came from there I'm a bit partial to the lot...actually think the bearing was invented there..LOL
I was up there a few weeks ago for the UTCC driving a 911 GT2. We ran in the 1:59's with it. I figured from my experience in that car and some of the other tracks I've driven both the mini at the GT2 that the mini would be ~10 seconds off the GT2 at VIR. So I'm guessing somewhere between a 2:09 and 2:11. It's the 11hr tow up there that's killer. Of course I'm about to tow 36hrs to Miller in 3 weeks.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Yes it's a long tow but there is a National championship trophy there with your name on it

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
XPGT2
Neutral
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Yes it's a long tow but there is a National championship trophy there with your name on it
Jan,

Please be very carefull, Ian's needs a new helmet and if you keep this up they may not make 1 big enough.

Peter

Quick Reply: RMW and Maitland Importers smash Road Atlanta record