Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

2 RMW equipped cars break the magical 1:30 barrier at Streets of Willow

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
so how do you explain my 3 days of track time then?
why am I able to run times other's can't?

1. either I am the next racing sensation (highly doubt it)
2. my car is simply much faster than others (will bet on this one)
3. combination of both
4. or you simply have a bias and refuse to use common sense in the equation
I will say something about Corvettes now that I own one.... I think a lot of guys who take these to the tracks are somewhat tentative in them.... there is no doubt mine is faster than my Mini but not nearly as nimble or confidence building for the novice (read me)..... the thing is a handful compared to the go-kart feel of the Mini......

Oh, I think you are the next racing sensation

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I will say something about Corvettes now that I own one.... I think a lot of guys who take these to the tracks are somewhat tentative in them.... there is no doubt mine is faster than my Mini but not nearly as nimble or confidence building for the novice (read me)..... the thing is a handful compared to the go-kart feel of the Mini......

Ok... Tuls and Spider....
no comments from the peanut gallery on my driving

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

there is no doubt this is true....

but what Jan said was... "NO MINI (not even the uber maddness one driven by a wrold cup champion) had turned under a 1:30 and there for the record had been broken by RMW cars"

YEAH! ggoooooOOOOO TEAM!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:02 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by ca$per
so what are you saying here... we letting goaljnky drive?
1. You could do worse.
2. Jan's driving sucks, which speaks volumes for his car. (There you go, Jan. A comment about your driving. )

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
there is no doubt this is true....

but what Jan said was... "NO MINI (not even the uber maddness one driven by a wrold cup champion) had turned under a 1:30 and there for the record had been broken by RMW cars"

YEAH! ggoooooOOOOO TEAM!

Hey, Tuls

no arguement.... I have the RMW head and tune.......

In all fairness to Don and John, regardless of their respective demeanors and general attitude about everything NIH (not invented here) in the Mini world.... they are not novices.... far from it.....and they will probably show well in this event (should it happen)

I think the point for RMW is..........regardless of what LDG and DMH think, there are people who are getting great results outside of Maryland, New Jersey and New York. and,..... RMW is tired of the slur campaign from guys who clearly are dissing the accomplishments.

I think Jan's reply calling them out is a "put up or shut up" move......

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
yeah no doubt... there you go getting all logical and Mature... LOL... if you keep that up... next thing you know only real performance parts will exsist for the MINI

WOOOO!

Hey, Tuls

no arguement.... I have the RMW head and tune.......

In all fairness to Don and John, regardless of their respective demeanors and general attitude about everything NIH (not invented here) in the Mini world.... they are not novices.... far from it.....and they will probably show well in this event (should it happen)

I think the point for RMW is..........regardless of what LDG and DMH think, there are people who are getting great results outside of Maryland, New Jersey and New York. and,..... RMW is tired of the slur campaign from guys who clearly are dissing the accomplishments.

I think Jan's reply calling them out is a "put up or shut up" move......

Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
yeah no doubt... there you go getting all logical and Mature... LOL... if you keep that up... next thing you know only real performance parts will exsist for the MINI

WOOOO!
Shill.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Of all the threads to turn logical, this is the one we pick!? Today is the first day I'm truly disappointed in NAM...

I wish Trevor (dkstone) would chime in here and say whether or not his RMW power helped him get around LRP before he was rear-ended. Because then the basic point RMW is trying to make would be shown, and we could get back to the more fun pissing contest that will definitely NOT end up with EITHER of these vendors at the track.

mb

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Shill.
pffft... damn man that's harsh...

I am just tired of how no matter what means necessary that performance gains are shown... no one can ever just admit it...

Dynos... "they don't work"
Drag racing... "minis aren't for drag racing"
always followed by take it to a real track so we can see if there are gains...

now it's done... if it was anyone I would support it... I give respect when it's due...

HOOORAY!

Last edited by Tüls; 11-20-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Hmm, I need a bumper sticker:

"I took your girlfriend to the track and she performed."

Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear

now it's done... if it was anyone I would support it... I give respect when it's due...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ3_obMXwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYse...eature=related

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 11-20-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
the you tube button isn't working
so here's the link!
YAAAY!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark
In looking at the map:

I see lots of different configurations possible regardless of direction. Does anyone know what configuration was used in the EuroTuner article and if it the exactly the same configuration when these times were put down?

I'm not trying to debate or belittle the times shown for anyone. What I think is important is that they are made under the same conditions/configuration to be able to be compared fairly. Personally if I know how the times are to be compared that gives me insight into both the driver and the prep of the car.

Mark

I am not sure when they ran that challenge but in the last 8 months they have resurfaced part of the track, adjusted the chicane ( straighter ) and added a new section by the skidpad. SOW is always in a state of flux to keep it fresh and fun to run. Once again, the BIG course is the standard by which cars in this area are tested.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:34 PM
kalbone
5th Gear

I am just tired of how no matter what means necessary that performance gains are shown... no one can ever just admit it...

Dynos... "they don't work"
Drag racing... "minis aren't for drag racing"
always followed by take it to a real track so we can see if there are gains...

HOOORAY!
you forgot 300hp is undrivable in a mini

Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by kalbone
you forgot 300hp is undrivable in a mini
ha ha oohhh yeaah!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
I am not sure when they ran that challenge but in the last 8 months they have resurfaced part of the track, adjusted the chicane ( straighter ) and added a new section by the skidpad. SOW is always in a state of flux to keep it fresh and fun to run. Once again, the BIG course is the standard by which cars in this area are tested.
Changes are good, changes is what keeps us fresh...

SO fine we can't do a direct A-B comparison with the data at hand.

So stop all the he said she said, pick a track, pick a date and run what ya brung.

The only rules should be that any mere mortal with a few extra bucks could buy ones of these setups from any of the vendors that show and be able to drive it on the street in their hometown. No trailer queen purpose built racecars. Just something the average nutty Mini owner would do if they too went over the top.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Of all the threads to turn logical, this is the one we pick!? Today is the first day I'm truly disappointed in NAM...

I wish Trevor (dkstone) would chime in here and say whether or not his RMW power helped him get around LRP before he was rear-ended. Because then the basic point RMW is trying to make would be shown, and we could get back to the more fun pissing contest that will definitely NOT end up with EITHER of these vendors at the track.

mb
There you have gone and done it, I have been monitoring this thread and and trying very hard not to comment but since you asked I will tell it all in one small sentence. "My RMW car hauls *** around LPR much better that when it was a plain JCW." There I said it, thats what an additional 56WHP will do for you.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 PM
newbs49
Banned
mb

Trevor's car was a little to loud for LRP's db limit after Jan's head and exhaust. LRP has the lowest noise limit in the East I believe. He ran times close to his personal best with short shifting to stay below noise limit. Trevor, spill the beans about power.

See you in the spring in our RMW cars.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Trevor since your a customer of both DHM and RMW you can settle the entire debate so lets hear it.

Faster with Don's or Jan's setup?

Last edited by jeffc; 11-20-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by jeffc
Trevor since your a customer of both DHM and RMW you can settle the entire debate so lets hear it.

Faster with Don's or Jan's setup?
that's a big bus you just started up... LOL either way...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM
MINICORSA
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by trackster
these are the types of excuses you expect to hear from sore losers

Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
newbs49
Banned
Knowing Trevor I don't think he'll get into a pissing match. I do know he has Jan's parts on his car now and is very, very happy.

Just a little LOUD.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
MINICORSA
Former Vendor
here is a thread that might shed some light on dkstones feelings

http://nemini.org/index.php?topic=8717.0

post #24 would sum up his feelings

Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
If RMW and DMH can come on here talking about their driving and tuning prowess, they should be able to back it up. No excuses - if you can break barriers and talk trash about other vendors, take it to the track to prove it.

Besides, when have we EVER shirked an opportunity for an internet shouting match! You're trying to get actual results, when we all know it can't/won't happen. To think otherwise is to believe in the tooth fairy. So let's degrade it to what it will eventually be anyway and save ourselves the trouble. There would be nothing better, to me, than to see one of these vendors reign supreme.

mb
Jan supplied results.....Don has just opened his mouth.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:50 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by MINICORSA
here is a thread that might shed some light on dkstones feelings

http://nemini.org/index.php?topic=8717.0

post #24 would sum up his feelings
so others don't have to dig....

Originally Posted by dkstone
I got a request to clarify which person / shop did the work on the car, I have been careful up to now to not paint with a broad brush so here goes:

Last year in the October time frame I visited Don Hollingshead in NJ and discuss with him what I wanted to do with my car, my original intensions were to get the parts from him and have Charlie (my brother an Audi master mechanic) do the work, I also asked for a quote to do the work.

Well I got impatient and had Don do the project in January 07 he kept the car for a week to do the head, re-ring and rod bearings, clutch, flywheel, and Quaife. All the work was done by Don himself not the folks that work in the shop, so my impressions are of the quality work than Don does not the folks in the shop, 400 miles after I got my car back the engine blew apart on the LIE in rush hour traffic, I was still in the breaking process at the time, turns out that the number 2 con rod bolts were either over torqued or not torqued worked its self loose and then snapped which caused the con rod to break and straight through the side of the block.

Don's first response to me after I called him was that the car had lots of miles so it must have been an hair line fracture and not his fault, then he proceeded to tell me how I could get a block / engine for 2.5K and he would repair it, mind you he did not say that he would do it as warranty he wanted to charge me again to correct his mistake, I think not I may be stupid but I am no fool, I had Habbetstad get a new engine and had the repair completed for $8K so now my project just cost me $18K and I still have a standard JCW.

This is my personal observation and thoughts on Don Hollingshead, I consider him a fraud and would not do any business with the likes of him again period. Knowing what I know now that a person that calls himself a Tuner, but has LDG tune his car says it all.

And this is the last I have to say on this
as always, there are two sides to every story but

Quick Reply: 2 RMW equipped cars break the magical 1:30 barrier at Streets of Willow