R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 r61 S All-4 Suspension Mods advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
spearmin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r61 S All-4 Suspension Mods advice

Good Morning NAM,
I'm look to pull the trigger on some suspension upgrades for my Paceman All-4 S. I'll tell you what I'm looking to achieve and maybe you can tell me the best rout and brands to go with. So I'm definitely looking to do some very spirited motoring, but I doubt I'll ever get to the track with my car. I live in NY Westchester so the roads are not that bad, but they are also not the greatest so the occasional pot hole is definitely an issue. I know for a fact that I want to put a rear sway bar on it probably 22mm solid, that is 3 way adjustable(so I'm looking for advice on a brand and a website). I was thinking H&R for this but open to other suggestions. Next I want to change out the the shocks and springs to achieve a stiffer ride but not to lower the vehicle. I like the truck like appearance, because it allows you to throw some off road tires on it and you instantly have another bad as looking head turner, that looks like some kind of lunar vehicle (but this is a later project).

Anyway, I instantly headed toward a set of coil-overs, but I have heard that they are harsh and are really more suited for track driving. So I'm look for a reasoning for or against coil overs. Also, if coil-overs then what brand and why. Then there is the Shocks & Springs option which I am also fine with but again what brand and why. Please no off brands or new brands. I prefer tried & true. I'm looking to pull this trigger very soon so as much feedback that you can provide the better. I would really like to hear from those with persona experience wit the products. Please post picture also. Thanks NAM, I really appreciate the knowledge that runes through here.

Please forgive me if I cross post, but I wan tot make sure this post gets seen.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 PM
97nicolaus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went straight to coilovers and I really love the look of my Paceman right now. The reason why is because I knew that I wouldn't be able to lower as much as I could with coilovers. I went with Megan Racing, but now I am experiencing squeaking issues with every road imperfections and bumps. I'm bringing my Paceman back to the mechanic who installed it in 2 days, and I hope that this problem can be solved by then. Overall, handling improves significantly, and I couldn't ask for more. If you want to lower your car by 2" or more, go with coilover. The ride will be harsh, but the looks and handling improvement makes it worth going for, at least imo.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Deleted - somehow posted to the wrong thread.

Last edited by dmath; 09-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.