R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Too much fuel pressure? P0172 system too rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:35 PM
RCRacer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much fuel pressure? P0172 system too rich

I'm new here. We have a 2013 Countryman S All4 with 83k miles. It had a pending P0172 code so I monitored fuel trims with the Tourqe app. When the engine is cold the fuel trims are in the normal range, but after the engine warms up the long term fuel trim exceeds -20 which is where the code comes into play. Going down the road the fuel trim is normal, there is only an issue at idle.

The computer thinks all the sensors are working properly.

The only thing that seems out of line is the fuel pressure at idle. The app shows 1,000 psi at idle and as high as 1,900 at speed. It sounds like 700 psi is the correct idle fuel pressure but I can't find any info on a fuel pressure regulator.

The oil smells like gas which makes me wonder if an injector is leaking, or the high idle fuel pressure is causing the problem.

About 4 weeks ago I put in NGK Laser iridium plugs and a new OE air filter and the rest of the car is in good condition.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RCRacer
I'm new here. We have a 2013 Countryman S All4 with 83k miles. It had a pending P0172 code so I monitored fuel trims with the Tourqe app. When the engine is cold the fuel trims are in the normal range, but after the engine warms up the long term fuel trim exceeds -20 which is where the code comes into play. Going down the road the fuel trim is normal, there is only an issue at idle.

The computer thinks all the sensors are working properly.

The only thing that seems out of line is the fuel pressure at idle. The app shows 1,000 psi at idle and as high as 1,900 at speed. It sounds like 700 psi is the correct idle fuel pressure but I can't find any info on a fuel pressure regulator.

The oil smells like gas which makes me wonder if an injector is leaking, or the high idle fuel pressure is causing the problem.

About 4 weeks ago I put in NGK Laser iridium plugs and a new OE air filter and the rest of the car is in good condition.
Pull the plugs and coils >>after the car has been running for a while< < If one of the plugs is soaked in gas then you have a leaky injector. Not uncommon in the N18 according to my BMW Tech friend.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 AM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Has your HPFP been replaced?
There is a recall on them, or warranty. When mine failed I would get strange readings using a smimilar app. The oily gas smell in the oil is strange and may be a diff problem.
The fuil rail on start up is 1900 and running numbers around 1700. 1000 even at idles seems low.

Also I am no expert, just pretending online.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectMini
...... Also I am no expert, just pretending online.
Sounds much like most of us....

Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 AM
RCRacer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, since my original post I pulled the plugs and they were all in good shape, not wet, and no gas smell at all.

Regardless of what they issue might be I figured I should change the oil since it had a pretty strong gas smell.

After the oil change the engine was quieter, and when I checked the fuel trims on the app they were right back where they should be typically varying by +/- 6 % at the very most, usually 0 to -3.1%.

I was skeptical so I have been driving the car for several days and monitoring the numbers. It's stayed right on the money since the oil change.

I talked it over with a couple mechanic friends and the only thing we can come up with is since the car was owned by a "little old lady" it was subjected to a lot of short trips with a cold engine where the car is requiring extra fuel. Over time the oil was saturated and that was causing the system to think the engine was running rich.

Whatever the case, that car is running great, so it's on to the next project.

Thanks for the input.