R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

R61 AC Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Voltematron
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R61 AC Recharge

Hey guys, hope all is well with your MINI's.

Had a question regarding the R60/R61 as far as the AC system and to that extent recharging it with something like AC Pro.

On my Paceman, the AC system seems to have just failed immediately following the harsh NE summer heat thankfully. I'm guessing the refrigerant may have just run out, as I did get the car used and it's at 50k now since I've had it (purchased at about 35k). It's also making a hissing sound so that's a giveaway in one sense. I know there was a recall on the thermostat and it's been replaced (previously the heat had stopped working and that was remedied when it was in warranty during the winter).

I can't find a lot of info on it aside from this one semi helpful video - https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...recharge_freon

Only problem is that the port they display in the video as recharge may either be the high port or it requires a larger nozzle to refill using the AC Pro system, one that dealership may only have access to. As of now I cannot locate the low port (if there is one) and I'd like to avoid going to the dealership for it because I'm not completely sure the CPO warranty I have covers jack as far as that. Furthermore I prefer to work on a car myself if I am able to.

So the main question I guess is does this need to go to the dealer to be recharged or am I missing something here?

I've searched the forums as well as the internet and that video is literally all I've come up with as far as the R60/61 goes. Thoughts?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Voltematron
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So for anyone interested I figured it out. Cons to buying a used Paceman: very little info on certain things, more incentive to explore under the hood. The Low stem was located on the left side under the hood near the oil dip stick. I missed mine because the stalk holding it was broken and it was hiding near the fan under the weather seal. Missed this in the daylight, figured it out when night fell. Go figure. Hope this helps .

The following users liked this post:
ivegota (03-09-2020)