R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Passenger restraint/Airbag warning light.....fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:00 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Passenger restraint/Airbag warning light.....fuse?

Hey all, this is in my other thread too, but since it’s a new issue that is going to drive me mad, I made another post to ask for some help.
After replacing my turbo, and reconnecting the battery, I’m getting this passenger restraint/airbag warning light.
Now when I hooked the battery back up, it did give me a little spark, so I’m hoping that maybe I just simply blew a fuse, but I cannot locate any fuses related to the airbag or restraint system. And I certainly don’t want to just start pulling random fuses in a blind hunt.
Can anybody tell me where I might find this???
I don’t want to pay someone after doing all this work to save $$, lol.
I ordered up a Schwaben scan tool from ECS to hopefully clear it if nothing else...I’ve wanted one for a while now anyway for reading and clearing codes that my cheapo scan tool won’t even register.
I tried A few of the different apps for the obd2 dongle that I have, but they don’t even register it all.
I’m getting desperate here!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 AM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Check fuse F16 in the passenger footwell. That fuse blew on mine and caused the same problem.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DenisMcG
Check fuse F16 in the passenger footwell. That fuse blew on mine and caused the same problem.
will do, thanks!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well that didn’t do it. I got my Schwaben tool from ECS today and it had no trouble clearing every code, except for this one! Which makes me think that there must still be a fault for it not to clear. Unless I’m doing it wrong?
The code I’m getting is 93C8 airbag/restraint system malfunction drivers side forward control (or module) can’t remember right now, it’s late!
The problem I’m having now is locating that particular module, the closest diagram I’ve found is for a 2011 R57, and it is supposed to have an accelerometer somewhere behind each headlight. I did remove them to put the car into service position, maybe I accidentally bumped or unplugged it or something? That all I can think of other than the fact that my battery is right on the edge of going out to pasture. I unhooked the negative cable while I was working on it, and got a little bit of a spark when I reconnected it.....maybe that did something? I just don’t know.
My first step is going to be to take the headlight back out on that side and see what I can see. Guess we’ll go from there!

On a positive note I HAVE BOOST!!!! after talking with Arric at JMTC, he was able to pinpoint exactly what my issue was with my new turbo, told me exactly what to do (and emailed a diagram) and it is now working like dream!

Old 06-30-2018, 12:28 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Fixed

Scan tool pointed me towards the forward sensor on the drivers side. After doing some sleuthing on the inter-webs, I found out that the US versions have an accelerometer on the frame rails under the headlights. So I popped the front drivers side headlight back out and started poking around. Sure enough, I found a loose plug dangling there. Located the sensor and plugged it back in......all fixed! No more dash warning light or codes!

Old 11-05-2019, 02:19 AM
Scott Kearney
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

Scan tool pointed me towards the forward sensor on the drivers side. After doing some sleuthing on the inter-webs, I found out that the US versions have an accelerometer on the frame rails under the headlights. So I popped the front drivers side headlight back out and started poking around. Sure enough, I found a loose plug dangling there. Located the sensor and plugged it back in......all fixed! No more dash warning light or codes!
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but this sounds exactly like what's happening to me.
MrGrumpy, what's the accelerometer look like? Is it the rather large (~3" square) black box hanging from the frame rail below the headlight? Or is it something much smaller?

I had my headlight out too to replace a chewed hood sensor wire (don't ask) and had to unbolt and flip this black box out of the way to get to it. I either tripped the accel and caused the restraint system code (which might cause a trip to the dealer $$), or I just tugged on a connector that needs to be re-secured... Hoping it's the latter!
Thanks,
Scott

Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I'm having an issue with this light for airbag as well. It seems to go on/off at random. As in the lights all go off and everything is fine, but then they just pop back on... Intermittent. Any idea of what to check and look at?