R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Key not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key not recognized

Last week I went to a store from my home, MINI operated fine. I went in and stayed 10 minutes and go back out. I touch my CA button on driver door, no go. I go to passenger door, again, no go. I try the remote a few times, no unlocking, I try the liftgate, no go. So I use the regular key. Unlock, and try to start up and I got the key icon. Hmmm, 4 months and batteries dead, ok. Place key in socket in dash, nada. same key icon. MINI will not start. Fortunately, there was a CVS right there and I go and buy a pack of batteries. NO GO.
Vehicle towed to dealer. Dealer is of the mindset that my new batteries are bad, then that I put them in upside down. NOPE. More new batteries. I was given a loaner after lectures or how remotes are expensive and I probably damaged it or got it wet. Nope, Took the loaner back home, Ive missed work now. Grab my 2nd key, never used, still has the paper from with my name on it from when I bought the car. Drive back to dealer with key. This one does the same thing. Absolutely nothing. Gave them the 2nd key, they swapped batteries for a bit and nothing.
Today (5th day without car) I got it back, No charge and no reason known. Just today, the car decided to work. WTF?!
Has this happened to anyone else? If so, reasoning? Did it happen again, I do hate wasting my vacation days like this.