R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

High Battery Drain Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM
DanandKatesCountryman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Battery Drain Warning - SOLVED!

Hello all,

Appreciate your help and experience in advance.

We have had our 2012 Countryman for about 3 months. We ordered new from the factory (White on White, black wheels, black stripes, black housings/Xenon, fog lights, Connected/Nav, cold weather package), and we are loving it. Great car!

Over the last few days, we have had a high battery drain warning coming on each morning before we drive the car. After a few short drives throughout the day, the battery charges up and the warning ceases, only to return again the next day. After a 3-hour drive yesterday, I was sure we would have given the battery a good, deep cycle charge, but the car put up the same message this morning.

We tested the battery, and it is hovering at about 13.5 volts, which I would certainly not consider low, so to me the warning is less about voltage and more about some type of drain on the battery.

And one more thing...

This past Friday we had the windows tinted. I attributed the first high drain message to this activity, as they likely had the ignition on for at least an hour with doors opening and closing and windows going up and down. Could be a complete red herring, but including here in the spirit of total information.

Thanks again!

Dan and Kate

Attached Thumbnails High Battery Drain Warning-image.jpg  

Last edited by DanandKatesCountryman; 01-24-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Solved the issue
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been pretty active on this site for about two years, but I do not recall anyone who reported seeing this warning message.

Obviously you need to bring the car back to the dealer. Sorry that I have no more insight on this.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
DanandKatesCountryman
Neutral
Thanks, Shark - we have an appointment on Friday morning.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
hangmanjt
1st Gear
Yikes, I can't remember seeing that either.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanandKatesCountryman
Thanks, Shark - we have an appointment on Friday morning.
Please let us know what the problem is so we can add it to our "knowledge base", thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
worrynot
1st Gear
I had the same problem leaving the Austin MINI service center a few months ago. I did a u-turn and they spent two hours trying to figure out where it was coming from.. Hooked up a meter and let the engine run for a while, still throwing the message, but charging fine.. So the started pulling fuses.. They pulled the fuses for the amp/audio (mini connected/nav) and the drain stopped. (?)

They also confirmed the battery had a full charge, no other power problems. Told me they didn't know what was causing it.. If it happened again they said they would start replacing audio parts.

I had warning three weeks ago, I reved the engined and killed the audio, I also undocked my phone and the iphone cradle (armrest). Stopped at home, restarted engine, message gone.. (?) I think it's a bogus message related to the dock.. can't tell for sure until it happens again.

Let us know what you find out when you take your precious in for service.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 AM
Laule75
Neutral
Hello,

It seems to be definitely a recurrent issue with the Countryman :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-battery.html

Mine has got also the issue; I'm about to bring it to the Service center.

Regards

Laurent

Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM
blevie
Neutral
I had the same problem, the dealer told me if i leave my keys in the car overnight (which i frequently did in my garage) this may happen

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM
DanandKatesCountryman
Neutral
Hi All - quick update.

I was unable to bring the car in to the dealer for service a few weeks back, but on Friday night I went to the garage to pick it up and it was completely dead. Mini roadside assistance had to come give it a jump.

We took a long drive to charge back up, and to check if we are still getting the warning. On Saturday morning, the message was back, so we took it directly to the dealer. Hopefully more information for you on Monday!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM
healey67
4th Gear
The one I had with a high battery drain came from the AMP... just FYI..

Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Laule75
Neutral
High Battery Drain Warning Reply to Thread

Originally Posted by blevie
I had the same problem, the dealer told me if i leave my keys in the car overnight (which i frequently did in my garage) this may happen

The dealer diagnosed the same issue; actually it seems that it was the ex-owner of the car who left the keys in the car quite often. The battery is completely dead.

So they changed it last Thursday. Let's see if the problem occurs again....

Laurent

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
DanandKatesCountryman
Neutral
Looks like the winner is Healey67!

The dealer diagnosed it as a malfunctioning Amp (would not turn off, and therefore continued to drain the battery) and ordered a replacement.

Got the car back yesterday and we haven't had the warning.

Thanks all!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
I have the same issue if the car sits for a few days. They told me cause i have after market LED lights. I told them thats BS
I also have Tracking on the car that might cause this.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For those with this warning: Do you have the H-K audio?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
OneTraveler
2nd Gear
I've experienced this a few times, but haven't had a chance to get it to a dealer because, well, Alaska. Im planning on a spring service in ANC if the ferry schedule allows. Hoonu, I do have the HK audio. Other item of note, I only experience this on cold mornings (never in summer/fall- yes, this has been going on for 2 winters). Once I drive to work, everything is fine.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
doug_all4
2nd Gear
I had the same warnings repeatedly on my 2011 with 80k miles as soon as it started to get cold a couple months ago. I figured it was just MINI being nice and telling me I needed a new battery (three years is an above average lifespan for a stock battery, and batteries tend to die as winter sets in). The voltage was hopping all over the place randomly as well. I had the battery replaced, and haven't seen the warning since.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Not a fan of these new AGM black batteries......Since early summer, seen many new ones off the lot with bad batteries......

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery

Similar issues and you might want to check out this thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...upe-model.html

Battery Tender would help you. Also, unplug iPod or iPhone and turn off stereo before turning off car. iPod can wear down battery.

Consider one of those self jump kits. Just in case, adds confidence anyway until you have a handle on the problem.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
doug_all4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Not a fan of these new AGM black batteries......Since early summer, seen many new ones off the lot with bad batteries......
That's why I asked the shop I go to whether they could find a way to use a better battery. The stock battery was sometimes scary at sub-zero temperatures; I wasn't always sure the car would start. They managed to squeeze an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus in there, and had to recode the car for the higher cranking power.

But I just spent the last week in northern Colorado including some sub-zero temperatures around the higher passes, and it always started up in a couple seconds.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had the same code come on 2 weeks ago. I'm in KY and it has been dropping into the negatives over the past few weeks. I assumed it was just because of the bitter cold. I do have the HK audio though and have noticed when I have been sitting in the car with it turned off that the speakers on the passenger side will hiss on and off for quite some time. Had a buddy of mine sleeping off a hangover in it one day while tailgating and he said it made all kinds of hissing noises the entire time. Maybe its a bad amp.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Tender

I use the Battery Tender as I have lots of options on my car. Dash Cam, HK and Nav. Hidden radar detector. Amateur Radio.

Also. You might want to carry one of these so you could jump your car yourself. Just incase.....

Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd forgotten about this thread. Sorta glad the CPO car I ended up with had just the standard audio.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
I love the HK audio. Well well well worth the reasonable cost of admission if you enjoy music. It's no home stereo, but it keeps a smile in my face. I feel that it's the navigation system and others that cause these problems. Just unplug, lock the car and Take the keys with you. Sleep mode should disallow for excessive battery drain. Unless, of course, your battery is on the decline.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Coincidentally had the same warning several times on our 2011 X5 last week. Dealer said the battery would no longer hold a full charge. and replaced it under warranty. Seems to have solved the problem. Car is barely 3 years old. All these reports makes you wonder if BMW/Mini is using a shoddy battery manufacturer. We have never run the battery down, the car has never sat unused for more than a few days, and it's not like we use the truck for short trips where the battery would not get fully recharged. Interestingly enough, it does have a HK sound system.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Its not just BMW/MINI that has battery issues. My non S Countryman doesn't spin very fast when its trying to start up & i've wondered whether the battery is a bit undersized. My old 2010 Honda Civic EX-L had its battery replaced 22 mos after i bought it cuz it wouldn't hold a charge any longer either. The local dealer mentioned that they had a few cars returned for service just for that very reason. Maybe the mfr's reduce the size of the battery to save some weight?

Quick Reply: High Battery Drain Warning