R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Ticking noise near windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
amxw
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ticking noise near windshield?

Hi all! Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread. Not entirely sure how to work this website

I have a 2014 MINI Cooper Countryman and it's around 12,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago I noticed on the highway an odd ticking sound - like someone repeatedly tapping on glass with their fingernails, I guess. My brother says it's a ticking sound, though I'd say it ticks a few times a second.

It sounds like it's from the center area where the windshield is, but it could be from any of that general area. I'm out of the 3-year warranty and do not have a "go-to" mechanic, so I'd like to ask you all out here if you've heard of this issue, if it's an issue at all, before I go to the MINI dealership.

My brother didn't seem too concerned, but said to go ahead and Google it. I don't know much at all about cars!

I hear it when I go about 30 mph or above, and not always. It's not really loud either, but I hear it over my music sometimes.

Thank you for reading!

Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I thought is was a 4 year warranty, 3 years maintenance. You should still be covered if I am correct as you have very low miles. Talk to dealer.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM
FlyByMike
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've noticed a similar(?) sound in my 2017, gen3 2 door. Mine sounds like an old type mechanical speedo cable that needs lubrication. Sort of whap whap whap ... Somewhere between 1 to 2 Hz. Not loud, and I don't think it varies w/ road speed - certainly not with engine speed. Best heard at 30mph w/ driver's window open 1-4 inches. Once it got a whole bunch louder which went away when I cleaned out some of the leaves in the gap between the hood and windshield. The original sound is still there but so are some leaves. To this day, I attribute it to leaves and don't worry too much. If I'm wrong and it's not leaves and is a true issue I'll wait for a warranty solution.
-Mike

Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM
amxw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I thought is was a 4 year warranty, 3 years maintenance. You should still be covered if I am correct as you have very low miles. Talk to dealer.
Oh, I should check the papers I got when I purchased the vehicle then! Thank you so much!

Old 12-29-2017, 04:53 PM
amxw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FlyByMike
I've noticed a similar(?) sound in my 2017, gen3 2 door. Mine sounds like an old type mechanical speedo cable that needs lubrication. Sort of whap whap whap ... Somewhere between 1 to 2 Hz. Not loud, and I don't think it varies w/ road speed - certainly not with engine speed. Best heard at 30mph w/ driver's window open 1-4 inches. Once it got a whole bunch louder which went away when I cleaned out some of the leaves in the gap between the hood and windshield. The original sound is still there but so are some leaves. To this day, I attribute it to leaves and don't worry too much. If I'm wrong and it's not leaves and is a true issue I'll wait for a warranty solution.
-Mike
I did notice that I had a lot of leaves to clean out...I will try to clean that area off as best I can to figure out if it helps or not. Thanks so much!