R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Chasing Gremlins.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Chasing Gremlins.....

I have the dreaded Brake light lit as well as the Lift red light. Manual states this is a condition to stop driving the car immediately and take it in for service. I hate service - it is incredibly expensive and I am not sure these are truly major issues that I cannot fix.

Prior to just these lights, the check engine light was also on as was the TPMS light.

What has happened so far over the last couple of weeks:
One of the coils was bad, so had that replaced. We then replaced the other 3 packs with these from rock auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1503357&jsn=3

The engine started smoother and gas mileage increased. Then, one morning, the engine started, but ran really rough and died. I restarted it and the engine ran essentially perfectly fine. Fast forward two weeks and once again, the engine would not start. This time it took 4 tries, but started and again, ran completely fine. The rough start, idle and die routine happened one more time since then. While intermittent, it is persistent, too.

I reset TPMS and that light went away.

We replaces the original coil packs swapping out the new ones and the check engine light turned off by itself.

The brake light (no, the parking brake is not engaged) and the lift light still persist. I finally got INPA to load to my laptop VM environment, so I am going to try to read the memory today and see if I can clear it.

This car is as frustrating as it has been fun. If anyone has any ideas on what to try without just throwing parts at this, it would be greatly appreciated. Spark, air and gasoline...

Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
check the brake pad sensor.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Good call - thank you!

Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
keep us posted

Old 08-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Will do. I am running into issues getting INPA to read from the car. I can see the Battery and Ignition lights in the software, but there are no choices to read the error codes.

I also jumped into NCS Expert, and for some part, things are jiving with the instructions, but there are also subtle differences that are making me feel as though I am chasing the rabbits tail.

VERY frustrating. With my F150, tuning, diagnostics and coding are a real breeze.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
to read the error codes, the very first popup window that comes up, select functions or whatever is on the right side of the menu. Then look for UIF. in there you will see all the modules with VIN numbers and part numbers. In the bottom of that screen, you can find the read errors...they will not be your typical P codes..attach screen shots.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Thanks and will do. I do not recall seeing anything like that, but will try again later this evening and will take screen shots.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:26 PM
one73ronin
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the lift light meant a required service was required, brake pads or the like
and the brake light staying on once the e bake was released was brake pad sensor. my friend has an 08 clubman with the same issues. I told him what need to be done but he didn't want to do it yet. im curious as to what you find. good luck

Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Yeah, I check the pads and they are fine. The brake light along with the lift light in the manual states there has been an electrical failure....

This all started when we replaced the coils from the ones from rock auto. I am wondering what they could have done? The original coils are back in, but still have intermittent issues ie. the check engine light is intermittently on and it seems down on power every couple of starts. I really hate chasing this stuff on a car that is less than 50K mi old!

In any case, I cannot get INPA working. What a mess of software! I mean really - how hard is it to build a reasonable code reader? My F150 has such an easy and stable interface...

I do NOT want to go to the stealership to get the codes read, but I am running out of options and I am not interested in throwing parts at a problem.

Getting tired of this little car. As fun as it is, it's a mess at the same time.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
to read the error codes, the very first popup window that comes up, select functions or whatever is on the right side of the menu. Then look for UIF. in there you will see all the modules with VIN numbers and part numbers. In the bottom of that screen, you can find the read errors...they will not be your typical P codes..attach screen shots.
I greatly appreciate your help, but I am not seeing any of this. I have looked in NCSExpert, INPA, Tool32 and WinKFP and nothing like that is showing up.

In INPA, the battery and Ignition light are lit, but there is no ability to set of select anything other than information which is useless.

In NCS, using the bundled profile, I can see quite a lot, but nothing that looks like the above.

In Tool32, I again can see tables, but nothing like what's mentioned.

I am guessing there is something simple that I am missing and/ or need to do, but simply cannot figure out what that is!

Frustrating!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Here are the screenshots... there are errors - though I am not sure what they mean?

I can clear them, but the brake light does not go away and the lift light just comes back.

Attached Thumbnails Chasing Gremlins.....-inpa1.jpg   Chasing Gremlins.....-inpa2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The resolution is too small...do you have ISTA/D? This one is more powerfull to diagnose the car. Inpa is visual data, NCS expert and tool32 are used to modify or sync options. Winkfp is to load the vin to a given module.

What spdatens d you have?

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Datens are v60

I do not have ISTA/D. Not sure where to get it, but will search tomorrow.

The errors from INPA are:
Module Code Description Kind of Error DSC 5e5c brake fluid sensor E0 DSC 5dF1
A0 DME/DDE 3786
60 CAS A080

Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
OK, got ISTA+. LOL This is a much more intuitive interface. CX/UX for INPA is circa 1994. In any case, I think the gremlins have been discovered.

Called the dealership and apparently the "warranty has been extended" for both the HPF line issue as well as the auxiliary water pump (that cools the turbo.) I'm dropping it off this evening. Tomorrow I'll know whether the issues indeed will be covered and addressed by the warranty.

I did not verify yet whether the front pads actually need to be replaced. I cannot imagine that is too difficult a job.

Thanks for helping me work through the diagnosis process. I'm happy to have reader/programming software.

Attached Thumbnails Chasing Gremlins.....-ista-diag-1.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 11:30 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
that is good news...this software although it is more of diagnostic tool, it can do magic. NCS is even more powerful to code your own options like DRL, sunroof one touch, heartbeat indication and so on..

Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Yup. I'll dive into NCS once the current gremlins are exorcised.