R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Smelly Clutch

Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KLC_Countryman
Well...-5 degrees this morning and the doors were not functioning again. Had the dealer send a tech to come pick up the car a drop off another loaner. We are really starting to lose faith in the build quality of these cars. One more deep freeze and we will probably file another lemon law claim.
Ya gotta start wondering where MINI of Peabody gets their used vehicles from...

Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 AM
czar4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as I posted in another thread, my 2012 ALL4 original clutch went at 29k miles and the replacement (with the "upgraded" clutch) went at 37k miles (11 months after install with 8k miles on it). After some arguing, MINI agreed to pay for the initial teardown and inspection and the dealership identified that there is no manufacturer defect, so I am now trying to fight this with MINI USA. Not sure how my clutch skills - after nearly 25 years of driving manual cars, including many European performance cars - got so bad that I was only able to get 8k miles out of the second clutch!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Do you have the work order for the second clutch repair....at same time they were to also replace the clutch pedal spring....check the part numbers to be sure it was the updated JCW clutch parts that went in. It should have been kicked back by warranty if not the correct part number, but for the sake of being thorough take a look.

What was the condition of the flywheel on second inspection, do you ever tow anything with the MINI ?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 AM
czar4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Do you have the work order for the second clutch repair....at same time they were to also replace the clutch pedal spring....check the part numbers to be sure it was the updated JCW clutch parts that went in. It should have been kicked back by warranty if not the correct part number, but for the sake of being thorough take a look.

What was the condition of the flywheel on second inspection, do you ever tow anything with the MINI ?
This was service order from replacement last May. I have not been given a thorough explanation yet in current flywheel condition.

No towing of any kind and live in mostly-flat area.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:19 PM
cherio25
Neutral
2012 ALL4 Countryman

2012 - ALL4 Countryman. Already had my clutch replaced at 36k. Having clutch issues again at 65k miles. Luckily have the 5 year warranty on it. Took it in ... advised it would cost $4100 to replace. Warranty covers clutch ... but flywheel is not covered ... will need to pay $1400 to fix. Ugh!!!! Will be selling this car before the clutch goes out again. Asked the dealership why flywheel isn't covered especially given the track record with these cars and the clutch issues. Dealership is checking to see if they can give a 'better' price on the flywheel. So frustrating! ):

Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 AM
czar4
2nd Gear
Just curious on the flywheel - my paperwork states the flywheel was replaced in May 2016; but when I read this post, I notice a specific part number for the flywheel that is not listed in the parts on my paperwork:

Got car back yesterday with new twin mass flywheel, clutch and various other parts, fork levers and springs installed. Major new clutch parts are #21-20-8-606-067 and 21-20-7-595-577.
I see the 21-20-7-595-577 as the flywheel - is that included in the-067 parts set and they don't list it out separately?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
I see no flywheel billed out on this invoice.

If replaced, it would have to be on the bill so as to be reimbursed by MINI under warranty.

No way the shop would have absorbed a $700.00 flywheel and, for the tech to have been paid on the labor for that, it would have to be billed out. And techs dont work for free....

IMO, they noted damage to FW, and it was NOT replaced....

Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
In addition to lack of Flywheel being billed out/replaced, I do not see the 6 flywheel bolts needed being billed out either...they are not re-usable !!! They obviously noted damage but replaced clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing only....

IMO they should be doing this job over again and not at any cost to you.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM
czar4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
In addition to lack of Flywheel being billed out/replaced, I do not see the 6 flywheel bolts needed being billed out either...they are not re-usable !!! They obviously noted damage but replaced clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing only....

IMO they should be doing this job over again and not at any cost to you.

my mistake I found the second page.

Trying to determine what to do. Dealer quoted me $3200. Mini agreed to pay for the initial teardown and inspection. Balance to complete job is $2050. Dealer offered 10% to help. Balance of $1800. I spoke to mini USA and their response was they are unwilling to help. 8k miles on a new clutch and flywheel is insane with a driver who was logged easily over a million miles with manual transmissions and never once had to replace a clutch on my own car.

MINI said that there is no one else I can speak to. That their "After Sales" department makes the final decision and that's it...any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Small Claims court if you think it's worth your time. Odds in your favor with proper documentation, printouts of forum posts, etc.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Small Claims court if you think it's worth your time. Odds in your favor with proper documentation, printouts of forum posts, etc.
Yep, if you are prepared with documentation the small claims court will generally find in favor of the 'little guy'.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 PM
czar4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
Yep, if you are prepared with documentation the small claims court will generally find in favor of the 'little guy'.
Well, a disappointing ending with mini USA. Not only did they refused to offer any further assistance, but they likewise refused to provide me with any contact information for anybody with whom I might be able to speak about the issue other than me woman assigned to my case. In fact, I asked for and address to put something in writing, and I was simply told that the only person who would receive anything that I wrote would be the woman who is currently helping me and she would not respond to any letter. I was extremely Pleasant and the conversation but firm and address to put something in writing, & I was simply told that the only person who would receive anything that I wrote would be the woman who is currently helping me and she would not respond to any letter. I was extremely Pleasant and the conversation but some covering the significant number of issues people have had around the clutch, and the customer relations woman said she had never heard of such an issue and found it quite surprising. I reminded her how well documented it was on multiple forums and in professional magazines that cover cars, and she said she appreciated my sharing that information and she would certainly pass it along to many who would be interested to learn about that since they are unaware. Not only was I Pleasant in the course of the conversation, but my only request was that they either cover the cost of the parts or have the dealership provide them to me at Cost - neither was considered cover the cost of the parts for have the dealership provide them to me at cost - neither was considered and she made it clear message that there would be absolutely no further consideration on the behalf of MINI.

I'VE GONE THROUGH THIS THREAD AND FOUND MANY EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WHO HAD A SECOND CLUTCH FAIL WITH A SMALL NUMBER OF MILES AND I AM PUTTING TOGETHER SIGNIFICANT DOCUMENTATION TO SUBMIT TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. Oops sorry caps was on.

Ok well frustrating to say the least! This has otherwise been a terrific car and lots of fun to drive. I have taken meticulous care of it and it is in excellent shape with only 37,000 miles on it. I can only imagine what happens to those cars that people either beat on or don't maintain. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Isias32
Neutral
I refuse to put another OEM clutch in my countryman after my clutch just burned out at 32K miles, does anyone have any advice on another option for an aftermarket clutch? I don't trust Mini anymore.