R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 R60 Ignition won't turn on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 03:52 AM
Arnie Webb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R60 Ignition won't turn on.

Before describing this issue any further I will point out that with the spare key, the ignition turns on and thevcar starts normally.

With what has been the primary key for years, the key locks and unlocks the car fine. Put the key in the slot in the dash and the dash does nothing, the steering lock does not actuate etc. For all intensive purposes the car is dead.

So to state againrye car works fine with the second key.

In the faulty key I have replaced the battery, adding I have even swapped the case between the two keys. The fault follows the small circuit board in the key.

So I am thinking the ignition is entirely immobilised by the key, amd this aspect of my key isnt working.

It's not got wet or been physically damaged at all.

Is it possible to recode the key at a dealer? Or is it a new key at some excessive cost?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2024, 09:37 AM
jawilli6
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm no expert on this system, but if you replaced the battery and it just died, I'd guess the key is garbage. Dealer might be able to recode it. There are really smart people on the internet that talk about coding their stuff for special features which makes me believe it is possible to figure out on your own, but by the time you paid for a fancy programming device/software, you probably could've bought a couple of new keys. I think you can buy keys from a third party and send them to someone to code, provided you're willing to also send the VIN and registration to prove ownership.

Dealership is always the last option for me personally, but is probably the best solution if you aren't a super techie.