R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Poor perfomance at low engine speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 02:18 AM
vefux
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor perfomance at low engine speed

Hi guys,
I have a problem with my MINI Cooper Diesel ALL4 Countryman 1.6 manual 2012.
When the engine speed is <2000 rpm the performance of the engine is very poor.
During the hill start, I can't run slow, the engine seems doesn't have the strength to push my car when the rpm is <2000.
When the hill is heavy it is a problem.
What do you think about it?
Thanks

Old 01-29-2023, 06:47 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by vefux
Hi guys,
I have a problem with my MINI Cooper Diesel ALL4 Countryman 1.6 manual 2012.
When the engine speed is <2000 rpm the performance of the engine is very poor.
During the hill start, I can't run slow, the engine seems doesn't have the strength to push my car when the rpm is <2000.
When the hill is heavy it is a problem.
What do you think about it?
Thanks
CEL on?

No MINI experience but when I owned a 2002 VW Golf TDi a problem was the intake "coking" up from owners driving the car like a big rig, keeping RPMs barely above idle. I didn't red line my VW's engine but I did give it some revs. And I changed the oil every 5K miles. Oil with high miles on it results in more oil vapor which just adds more oil vapor to the crankcase fumes which get routed to the intake which there will combine with soot -- from the EGR -- and well, a coked up intake is the result.

When I went to sell my VW in 2009 with 150K miles I took the air box off and had a good look inside the intake. The walls were wet with black oil but there was no build up.

It is important to keep up on servicing. Diesels require a lot of air so if the engine air filter has been in service for a while...

And the diesel fuel must be clean, clean, clean, and free of water. My VW had a good fuel filter which required a periodic replacement -- don't recall teh schedule but you should know the schedule for your car and adhere to it -- and between filter replacements a periodic drain of the water trap. I don't think water in the fuel is the source of the behavior just tossing this out there.

And not too much time before I sold the car had the car in for a tossed V-belt (alternator pulley failed). Service tech found codes for the glow plugs so new glow plugs were installed. The old ones looked pretty pathetic. Engine ran markedly better with new glow plugs.