R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Sirius xm code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
alexteaa
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius xm code?

I just picked up my countryman 2 days ago and I'm absolutely loving it. The one option I'm (only semi) regretting is not getting sirius satellite radio. Has anyone activated sirius after-market? I have mini connected w/nav, and from everything I'm reading, it looks like that means I have the hardware there- I just need the code to activate it. Should I do this through the dealer, or is there a 3rd party method that would be better (and cheaper)? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 PM
gregus73
2nd Gear
Hi
Here is what I did.
The dealer purchases an activation code.
They then download the new firmware code from a Server, then apply it to the Mini.
The process took a day, but thinking an hour or so for the technician.
I asked if I could do it myself, but it needed their infrastructure to do so.
It will cost you about $400-500 for the upgrade and install.

Once I picked up my Mini contacted sirius and paid $100 for a year of service.

The 1 free year expired back in Jan 2014

It is a bit pricey, but do enjoy it for my commute to work.

The hardware is already there, it is a new firmware code that unlocks it.
I am not sure if this can even be done 3rd party, but worth a try to see if you can find someone that can for less money.

Last edited by gregus73; 04-24-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM
alexteaa
Neutral
Thanks gregus73 that helps a lot. I should have just added it when I ordered the car, but there's no sense in regretting that now. I'll speak with my dealer and see what he says about how long it would take/how much it would cost.

As far as 3rd party, I heard of a website called bimmertech that sells the code/1 year subscription for $275 and they guide you through the process of installing it. I contacted them to make sure it's compatible with my car and I'm waiting for a response. If that'll work- then I'll probably just go that route and save the couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 AM
thegrinchboy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by alexteaa
Thanks gregus73 that helps a lot. I should have just added it when I ordered the car, but there's no sense in regretting that now. I'll speak with my dealer and see what he says about how long it would take/how much it would cost.

As far as 3rd party, I heard of a website called bimmertech that sells the code/1 year subscription for $275 and they guide you through the process of installing it. I contacted them to make sure it's compatible with my car and I'm waiting for a response. If that'll work- then I'll probably just go that route and save the couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for the info!
Definitely interested in knowing what you find out. In the same boat, as my wife ordered her countryman without this option.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM
gregus73
2nd Gear
glad to help.

keep us posted if there is a way to do this 3rd party.
I have always been a DIYer, but they would not let me attempt this myself. Work in IT, and a past background in hardware qa.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
psichick
3rd Gear
most of the people who do coding for mini/bmw can activate sirius for you. cost depends on the person, 250-300 is about average. search for coders in your area and contact one and ask for a price.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 AM
turbofun
2nd Gear
I installed my Stratus 5 into the base radio rather purchasing the H-K, Factory Sirius, or Factory Nav.

My Stratus 5 is a lifetime that I purchased back in the day (2008). No monthly fees!

I use 2 black soft hercules cupholder mounts - left for sirius, right for iphone 5 navigation when needed. I just got a cool black retractible iphone lightning cable usb charger that tucks away nicely when not needed too.

I tried to fish out the factory antenna but no dice. I cleanly installed the Sirius Stratus antenna and it discreetly fits on the right interior corner dashboard with excellent reception.

Really happy as everything is on the down-low yet easy to see and reach. I set the AUX volume on both the Stratus and the MINI to maximum. I also set MINI treble to max, and MINI acceleration compensation volume to max with all other settings to default which is perfect for my middle aged ears.

Thank God for SiriusXM channel 53, Chill, where it plays most of the time.