R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?

I wanted to start this thread because it's pretty cool to know what everyone is doing to their Countryman's on a daily basis. This thread is popular on the FJ Cruiser forums I'm on so I decided to start one here.

There's a lot I've done so far like window tint, Eclipse Sun Shade, ECU Tune, custom sound system, and much more to come.

So I'll start from today...what did I do to my Countryman today?

Added an AFE high flow "dry" filter. Thanks Scott from AFE!! The Countryman R60 filter is the same filter on the R56 Engines so it fits perfect. 100% washable and re-usable. Oh, and for those not willing to go with a aftermarket CAI but want a bit more turbo whoosh, this definitely increases the sound but not like an open filter will do and it also increases air flow so more HP.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pdr

I did a repair...

A little while ago I was working in the garage when I heard a "ping" and then a loud crash. A 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood I used as a load floor in a previous suburban had it's restraining clip fail and it fell squarely on the bonnet ornament of my CM4 in the driveway. The ornament and surrounding area were pushed in like someone hit it with a giant hammer.

I'd read of paintless dent removal (PDR) before but didn't know much about it as an approach so, after some online research, I sent out some photos and picked a guy to give it a try. He looked at both sides of the bonnet, said it could work, and started at it. An hour of patient, careful labor later the bonnet was back to its original profile with barely perceptible imperfections. Amazing!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
I added the JCW Front Splitter. Will add pictures when I shine the car up.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Blacked out the front headlight rings and the front MINI badge using PlastiDip. Came out great!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM
starman
3rd Gear
What difference have you noticed with the AFE while driving? Which model did you buy at afepower.com? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starman
What difference have you noticed with the AFE while driving? Which model did you buy at afepower.com? Thanks.
I got a kn and you really can't tell...the only way is with a tune. And you can hear the BOV now...which isn't saying much

Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
[QUOTE=1bigpea;3532295]Blacked out the front headlight rings and the front MINI badge using PlastiDip. Came out great!

So sick, looks good!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:39 PM
stevielaine
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Blacked out the front headlight rings and the front MINI badge using PlastiDip. Came out great!

Wow! Looks great!

The following users liked this post:
minimania69 (10-12-2019)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by starman
No difference in driving with the AFE...but it sounds better.

Here's the link, I went with the "dry" filter.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Parked it in the garage and took out the rounded wearing car for a weekend in Healdsburg.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Solar10
2nd Gear
The blackout looks AWESOME! Great job, dude.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:22 PM
cursor718
2nd Gear

i did the same thing this week except i took off the rings. i also left the washer chrome. are you also going to paint the rear taillight rings on the car? i want to take them off but they look like a pain to remove and put back on.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cursor718
i did the same thing this week except i took off the rings. i also left the washer chrome. are you also going to paint the rear taillight rings on the car? i want to take them off but they look like a pain to remove and put back on.
How did you remove the front rings? I see there's a bunch of clips but it looks like a lot or force is needed to "unclip" and I didn't want to break anything.

I did the tail light rings, Cooper logo, and the badge previously...so here are some pics.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
cursor718
2nd Gear
a few of the clips needed some pressure but once you get a couple off, the others were easier. i actually found a DIY somewhere on the net that made it look easier but lost the link. something about simply wedging the tip of a flathead screwdriver that pops off the whole clip off the ring without breaking it.

you seem to be an expert at masking off the trimming and using plastidip. looks great!
mine looks pretty good but i think i could have used a thicker coat.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
a few of the clips needed some pressure but once you get a couple off, the others were easier. i actually found a DIY somewhere on the net that made it look easier but lost the link. something about simply wedging the tip of a flathead screwdriver that pops off the whole clip off the ring without breaking it.

you seem to be an expert at masking off the trimming and using plastidip. looks great!
mine looks pretty good but i think i could have used a thicker coat.
Cool thanks, did you use a pliers? Pics?

I've been using plastidip for awhile now on multiple vehicles, so I've learned from my mistakes. Especially in the evening here in SoCal when it gets windy I've found it works best to cover everything. That stuff finds it's way through every crevice. haha.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
cursor718
2nd Gear
no pliers, just a screwdriver to push up the clip a little.
sorry no pics yet.
i'm in socal too....but in the valley.....kings fan by default

Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
no pliers, just a screwdriver to push up the clip a little.
sorry no pics yet.
i'm in socal too....but in the valley.....kings fan by default
Cool, thanks!! Kings =

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
Phone pictures because I have been to lazy to download the pics from my camera...but here is a shot of mine with the front splitter added on Friday.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Kandrive
2nd Gear
Can you forgive a MINI new-B and let me ask a (probably) stupid question? Here goes (don't pummel me):

1) What are the struts called that house the turn signal lights on the side of the car? Scutters?
2) I thought they'd come in black but when the ship (then truck) dropped it off, they were in silver. I have lt. white w/blk and wanted them to be black because the silver tricks the eye to make my MINI look too long). To color them black, should I use Plastidip or buy a "kit" with overlays?
3) Do you buy the Plastidip stuff at a regular auto parts store?
4) How hard is it to Plastidip them myself (never done this before and am terrified I'm gonna ruin the paint - thanks for showing pics of how to "mask" the car off! really helpful!!!)

Thanks and hopefully I don't sound like too much of an idiot...

Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 AM
nd3boy
2nd Gear
Installed a ProClip for my iPhone on the right side of the dash assembly. No more phone on the center rail and having to deal with the parking brake in the way!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM
lego
2nd Gear
Cool thanks, did you use a pliers? Pics?

I've been using plastidip for awhile now on multiple vehicles, so I've learned from my mistakes. Especially in the evening here in SoCal when it gets windy I've found it works best to cover everything. That stuff finds it's way through every crevice. haha.
It looks like you didn't mask everything. Did you peel the unnecessary parts out after? Was it easy to peel it off?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kandrive
Can you forgive a MINI new-B and let me ask a (probably) stupid question? Here goes (don't pummel me):

1) What are the struts called that house the turn signal lights on the side of the car? Scutters? Mmm...side markers?
2) I thought they'd come in black but when the ship (then truck) dropped it off, they were in silver. I have lt. white w/blk and wanted them to be black because the silver tricks the eye to make my MINI look too long). To color them black, should I use Plastidip or buy a "kit" with overlays? Plastidip would be cheap and easy, I imagine you could find black ones online but I haven't checked
3) Do you buy the Plastidip stuff at a regular auto parts store?Home Depot and Lowe's carry it
4) How hard is it to Plastidip them myself (never done this before and am terrified I'm gonna ruin the paint - thanks for showing pics of how to "mask" the car off! really helpful!!!) Plastidip is very forgiving, it peels right off. You should start with something easy, like the front or rear mini badge and get comfortable with it, then move on to harder things like the side markers. Plastidip peels right off so it's not permanent but does stay on with car washes, touching it, etc

Thanks and hopefully I don't sound like too much of an idiot...
Hope that helps!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lego
It looks like you didn't mask everything. Did you peel the unnecessary parts out after? Was it easy to peel it off?
You want to leave an edge when using plastidip, and spray over that edge with evenly along with what you are covering. Then at the end when it's try you peel from the outside and it "cuts" a line around what you were covering. If you tape all the way up to the surface you are dipping then there's no edge and you'll peel the tape off and the plastidip will go with it... and also whatever you covered.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kandrive

1) What are the struts called that house the turn signal lights on the side of the car? Scutters?
I assume you're refering to the lights just in front of the side mirrors? If so, those are side scuttles.

I was going to ask if anyone here has wrapped their scuttles in vinyl? I know some have gotten the black jack scuttles, but I wanted to get a wrap instead. Not sure I like the actual scuttles.
Does anyone have any pictures of black jack scuttles?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Kandrive
2nd Gear
You want to leave an edge when using plastidip, and spray over that edge with evenly along with what you are covering. Then at the end when it's try you peel from the outside and it "cuts" a line around what you were covering. If you tape all the way up to the surface you are dipping then there's no edge and you'll peel the tape off and the plastidip will go with it... and also whatever you covered.
Thank you 1BigPea!!! Very, very helpful and I truly appreciate it!

So, according to MiniMouse17, they're called "scuttles". I, too, was thinking of wrapping and have seen "kits" to change them to black but plastidipping doesn't look too difficult if you're careful.

Does plastidip hurt the paint at all? Like, if you get a little on the car? I know they say it peels off but I guess I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt the paint if I make a mistake... This question is also for the tape. It looks like others use the masking tape (blue paper) that you use when painting trim in your house. Is that correct or is it special tape?

I'm a big do-it-yourself-er so the thought of trying it doesn't freak me out ... too much, that is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R60 What did you do to your Countryman TODAY?