R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Smelly Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone's dealer get back to them on this issue? I'm going in on Tues for the coolant temp sensor so i'm gonna bring it up, but then again my ALL4 only has 300 miles on it so i doubt they'll be willing to do anything

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
My dealer checked with MINI USA and they will not authorize a preemptive repair on functioning parts. I understand their position but they need to understand mine - we've lost faith in MINI manual transmissions and without being able to experience the "improved" clutch for the duration of our lease, we will not be purchasing another one.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
My dealer checked with MINI USA and they will not authorize a preemptive repair on functioning parts. I understand their position but they need to understand mine - we've lost faith in MINI manual transmissions and without being able to experience the "improved" clutch for the duration of our lease, we will not be purchasing another one.
So it's Drive It Like You Stole It (judiciously) till the clutch system fails then discuss the replacement under warranty? Cool!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
What about the software update?!

If I dont rev my motor up high and catch the clutch, it will bog hard, knock loudly and stall.... So Im always revving it up to 1500 + rpm before taking off

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Just came back from my dealer. They refused to do anything with the clutch or ECU because MINI has not put out an official service bulletin or recall. Kinda what I thought was going to happen. But made them note the clutch issue on my account. I also asked about the oil change frequency change from 14k to 10k miles And they gave me an answer about that only changes with cars built after 4/2012 or something like that. Not sure if they were blowing smoke on that one. I'll have to double check

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Ugh sorry about the big block of text. Posting from my phone

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM
xc800runner
Neutral
Just dropped off for replacment...

Originally Posted by Rockland
But as the article states- What about those of us with the exisitng sh**ty clutch? I'm at 12.6M miles, and will introduce this to the dealer when I have my first service at 15,000.

I would like to see the entire press release. I think I will be posting this website, and associated links to the MiniUSA Facbook page (if I can).

I just sent a note to my salesperson at Prestige Mini- asking her to forward to the Service Manager for clarification. If I get anything back I will post.
We're about to find out what the solution is. Just dropped off my 2012 (built September 2011) All4 as the clutch blew gloriously on my way into work yesterday morning. Smoke billowing from the hood, shuddering at take off, etc... Made it 1/4 mile from the lot on my way to drop it off at the dealer before it gave entirely and I could no longer engage a gear. Issues started about 15500, and I made it to 16100... not a lot of warning. (As an aside, if you live in LA, don't bother with roadside assistance, I waited 5 hours for a tow, though the BMW dealership - South Bay - did give me a ride home at 11pm when I finally made it there.)

Talked to the service department this morning when picking up a loaner and they said it may ot be covered due to the mileage, and quoted 2k for the teardown, no mention of parts. To which replied that the clutch is a known issue, directed the SA here and to their own press release. He wasn't aware of the press release this week, so I'm sure BMW are trying to keep this under wraps. I responded that if they don't repair it under warranty (or the maintenance program, as I was assured clutch replacement was covered when I signed the papers) that MINI will have themselves a hunk of metal and I'll be buying a Subaru. Then told him that it should be repaired with the updated design (of which he feigned no knowledge) otherwise I'll be back in for a new replacement within 15k miles again.

I'll try to update on Tuesday when they get back to me with specifics.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xc800runner
We're about to find out what the solution is. Just dropped off my 2012 (built September 2011) All4 as the clutch blew gloriously on my way into work yesterday morning. Smoke billowing from the hood, shuddering at take off, etc... Made it 1/4 mile from the lot on my way to drop it off at the dealer before it gave entirely and I could no longer engage a gear. Issues started about 15500, and I made it to 16100... not a lot of warning.
Sorry to hear about your experience. The frequency of clutch failures being reported is really heating up (pun intended). This is a sad state of affairs for MINI. Once our lease is up we will happily drop the car off back at the dealer and never look back.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM
TrueBlueAll4
Neutral
I recently posted my broken clutch story in the thread about the updated clutch being put in the latest Countryman, and it was suggested that I add it to this thread as well.

The clutch failed suddenly in our 2011 All4 S Countryman (build date March 2011) on Sept 26th 2012 at around 56,000 kilometres (~35,000 miles). The clutch was always a little strange from the day it was new, but there was no warning until it simply stopped working while driving home from Montreal that day. Driving along when engine started revving sporadically when on cruise control, and within minutes my wife had to coast to the side of the road and call BMW Roadside Assistance because it wouldn't move anymore. It wasn't as dramatic as some of the other failures in this thread I guess. We were told at first it was a "wear item" but a few days later the dealership contacted us to say it would be fully covered under warranty. A lot better than the $4000 + that we were initially told it would cost us.

I don't know if we got updated clutch parts, but it certainly feels way better than it ever did so after reading the thread about the update I'm hoping maybe we did. It had better last longer than another 56K kilometres. In our case, BMW roadside was great and the dealership in Montreal was the best one we have been to in terms of customer service.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM
minirv
Neutral
experience since clutch replacement

2012 CMS All4 Manual. Want to share my own experiences with my "new" clutch (replaced @ 3700km - covered by Mini). My Car has about 5100 km now. For the replacement I repeatedly tried to clarify if any design flaws had been addressed and whether a new type of clutch pad was used. I did not get any definitive response from my SA except that they use whatever is the designated parts from Mini. As it turns out from the first day with the replaced clutch, I started getting a clutch pad burning smell. Sometimes shifting to first feels odd when the car is rolling (almost like the gear catches without moving the stick much) and yes, the car easily stalls pulling out of first, which seems to be a common expreience. Having consulted my SA at the dealer, it seemed best to see if the smell went away. A little less than 1500km later I have noticed that the intensity of the smell is less. But, two incidents - I thought I recently smelled "metal burn" mixed with the clutch smell when I had parked my car at home after work; once I felt something "slip" in third gear as I was about to change to fourth. No smoke or fire yet. Wonder if "it" has worn out. Keeping my fingers crossed. I am dreading the prospect of going through the exasperating experience of again trying to convince the dealer that it is not my driving.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
We continue to have dialog with MINI USA regarding the replacement of our "replacement" clutch with the "new and improved" clutch. They have at least responded and are engaged. Outcome is still uncertain at this time.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Maybe my MA was lying to me, but I thought the clutch was covered under the maintenance warranty for 3 years and 36,000 miles? That and the brakes were the reason why he pushed the extended maintenance program on me both times I bought a MINI...

Am I misinformed? Even without the 6 year 100,000 mile extended maintenance program, the clutch should be covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, right?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr_Bueno
Maybe my MA was lying to me, but I thought the clutch was covered under the maintenance warranty for 3 years and 36,000 miles? That and the brakes were the reason why he pushed the extended maintenance program on me both times I bought a MINI...

Am I misinformed? Even without the 6 year 100,000 mile extended maintenance program, the clutch should be covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, right?
It's covered against manufacturer defects. The dealers are claiming user error or abuse which isnt covered.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
It's covered against manufacturer defects. The dealers are claiming user error or abuse which isnt covered.

Well, I'm no mechanic, but it should be common sense that any clutch shouldn't burn out for these folks who have theirs going out in less than 10,000 miles... Couldn't they look at the oil, engine wear, brake wear, and tire wear and determine if the person is really driving a clutch that hard?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr_Bueno
Well, I'm no mechanic, but it should be common sense that any clutch shouldn't burn out for these folks who have theirs going out in less than 10,000 miles... Couldn't they look at the oil, engine wear, brake wear, and tire wear and determine if the person is really driving a clutch that hard?
We call they stealerships for a reason. Apparently any shifting over 1600 rpms will lead to early clutch replacement according to my service manager

Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
{snip} Apparently any shifting over 1600 rpms will lead to early clutch replacement according to my service manager
I'm sure MINI would be thrilled if they knew their brand representatives are making such statements.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
I'm sure MINI would be thrilled if they knew their brand representatives are making such statements.
That was passed down from the northwest regional manager that agreed to split the clutch cost with the dealership. The service manager attempted to show me hoe to drive by stalling it up a hill

I'm so done with this crap

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Kibby
1st Gear
That was passed down from the northwest regional manager that agreed to split the clutch cost with the dealership. The service manager attempted to show me hoe to drive by stalling it up a hill

I'm so done with this crap
That is pretty funny.

I wish someone would file a class action lawsuit. Paid top dollar for a car I'm so freakin nervous and careful driving it's become laborious to drive. Is this the motoring experience I was so excited about? Shame on MINI.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
anyone else notice the clutch smells like grilled asparagus when it's burning?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM
dangermoo
Neutral
I had this in another thread, but I was asked to keep people informed on this thread.

I am currently fighting with the dealership since my clutch went out after 20,000 miles. The are insisting that it was "customer error". They also claimed that they have never heard of MINI Countryman clutches going out early. Maybe now that Car and Driver acknowledges the problem, they might have to as well. And if that does not work, I will try the BBB.

After the treatment that I have recieved, as well as the treatment that many of us have recieved, MINI will have to work long and hard to get my respect again.

I showed the dealership the Car and Driver article, and I have been informed that the dealership and MINI USA does not answer to forums, but they will bring my concerns to MINI USA.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM
dangermoo
Neutral
We call they stealerships for a reason. Apparently any shifting over 1600 rpms will lead to early clutch replacement according to my service manager
Service manager told me the same thing. "Some people do not realize that this is a high performance vehicle, with peak torque at 1600 rpms". "If you shift above that, it is hard on the clutch". Blah Blah Blah, customer is always wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Automobile magazine also had to replace the clutch on their long termer. I also remember their editor in SF saying he could not get a CM to go from a top sign on Davisadero. I think I know which stop sign it was. Been there.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
Automobile magazine also had to replace the clutch on their long termer. I also remember their editor in SF saying he could not get a CM to go from a top sign on Davisadero. I think I know which stop sign it was. Been there.
My TomTom really likes to cross SF on Davisadero, but I find it sweaty palms and smelly clutch with Fenton. I've learned to love Van Ness or the Sunset.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
My TomTom really likes to cross SF on Davisadero, but I find it sweaty palms and smelly clutch with Fenton. I've learned to love Van Ness or the Sunset.
I know what you mean. I am now planning my routes through the City based on which car I'm driving or which car to take based on where we're going. Going to see some friends who live near Twin Peaks tonight and will probably be driving the 650. Clutch is fine in that car.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM
minmor719
3rd Gear
Unhappy

My clutch began really slipping on 11/20/12. I called my nearest service place and they told me they could not get me in until 12/1/12. I politely advised them that if I continued to drive it it would have to be towed as I figured the clutch would totally fail prior to that time. At that time the advised me that a clutch was not a covered item($3200.00 repair), nor would the tow be covered($250.00). He told me to park it and borrow a car and then drive it the 75 mi to the dealership on the 1st of December. I asked to speak with the service manager and the service manager advised it was covered under my extended maintence package. My 2011 countryman has 40,067 mi.

I ended up calling next closest dealership 115 mi away who kindly took care of the tow on their own(MINI roadside would not pay for the tow as it wasn't being towed to the nearest dealership) and brought me a loaner vehicle the the tow truck and picked my car up on Friday 11/23.

I am waiting to hear what the verdict is on my car presently.

I had reported the "smelly Clutch " issue back in June and they told me it was nothing and told me not worry but if I was in traffic put the clutch in neutral rather that hold the clutch in while waiting.

I find it fascinating that just this month MINI has decided to change the clutch out in new production Countryman's. What the hell, if it is a faulty clutch then why not do some customer service and change out the exisiting clutches in all Countryman's.

This is my 3rd MINI and it will be my last! This countryman has been fraught with service issues(upper and lower fuel pumps, poor craftmanship in interior pieces, replaced both center panels and my mini connected has been worked on 3 times and still doesn't work right) and I am just plain tired of it.

Quick Reply: R60 Smelly Clutch