R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 My 1st (& last experience) w/ summer tires in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Hulalen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My 1st (& last experience) w/ summer tires in the snow

So for those not in the northeast we experience our first Nor'easter this weekend and I thought I'd share my experiences driving in the snow. First off, I've lived in New England my entire life so driving in snow is not new to me. Also, my All4 isn't the first AWD vehicle that I've owned and my husband currently owns a WRX so I think I've have a decent amount of experience not only driving AWD vehicles but also driving in pretty terrible weather conditions.

Im happy to say the countryman was great! I drove on the highway at a safe speed and I didn't experience any slipping. Unfortunately, the backroads were a different story but I think that was my wake up call to get winter tires soon! While I was slipping a bit, I wasnt even close to spinning out which I thought was excellent given the terrible road conditions and the summer tires. I'm looking forward to putting on winter tires to see how well the Countryman performs when I travel to the slopes this winter.

If you're curious how the CM is in the snow vs the wrx, stay tuned. Right now the wrx has an unfair advantage (snow tires) so once my husband and I are on even playing field, I'll report back. Happy motoring!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
What summer tires are you running?

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Quebecker
3rd Gear
Thanks for the report, I have my winter tires on but no snow to test them out on yet. I am hoping for a great driving experience.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 AM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
What summer tires are you running?

i live in massachusetts and currently drive an 03 acura tl with all seasons and traction control. i have to say that "knock on wood" i have never had an issue with the car driving in the snow over the 8 years of ownership. i thought about the AWD but then had to get the turbo which meant bigger sport wheels and hence the need for dedicated winter tires; which i've always tried to avoid. so i ordered and awaiting my base countryman with 17" wheels and all season tires and the stability control which is standard on every countryman. i have to believe that this combination will be at least as good as my acura. plus, the AWD unlike my wife's rogue only kicks-in limited instances, so 95%+ of the time, it is just a front wheel drive car. i will report back to let everyone know how wrong or right my decision was.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
mrk5n
3rd Gear
I drove in cold sleety/wet mix this weekend on my summer Michelin Super Sport tires (33-37 degrees) and was fine on local and highway. I dont plan on using them in snow as I have a winter set on the way and will swap asap

Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bostonterrier
i live in massachusetts and currently drive an 03 acura tl with all seasons and traction control. i have to say that "knock on wood" i have never had an issue with the car driving in the snow over the 8 years of ownership. i thought about the AWD but then had to get the turbo which meant bigger sport wheels and hence the need for dedicated winter tires; which i've always tried to avoid. so i ordered and awaiting my base countryman with 17" wheels and all season tires and the stability control which is standard on every countryman. i have to believe that this combination will be at least as good as my acura. plus, the AWD unlike my wife's rogue only kicks-in limited instances, so 95%+ of the time, it is just a front wheel drive car. i will report back to let everyone know how wrong or right my decision was.
I read some reviews (that I can't find anymore) that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season run-flat tires the Countryman comes with standard (for 17 in rims) are pretty good in snow and ice... on a test drive last year just near the end of winter I had a chance to try the car in snowy/icy side roads, and I thought the car handled really well. Have not really had a good spin in the car yet this winter but I think it will work pretty well.