R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 AM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
Other than the flapping trim, my CM has been excellent. Maybe I got lucky, but after 5,000 miles, I don't have a single rattle or squeek. I've driven it pretty hard, at times, and the only issue is the handling over severe bumps. It does get a bit squirley when trying to negotiate a turn when hitting a bump. Other than that, it's getting over 30 MPG all around, which is great for an AWD vehicle. The interior room is ok, but not very well laid out. My wifes Honda Fit is infinitely earier to store material in, and the visibility out of her car is much better. On the plus side, this car rides much better on the highway than the Fit does.

Yes, I would buy it again. Now let's see if they ever fix the trim issues....

Mark
thanks mark,

im waiting for my CM base engine, automatic...if you are getting 30 (which is awesome) with a turbo and AWD, i hope to get mid 30s. its nice to hear you're enjoying your vehicle...i hope they fix your trim to, soon.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
wileenreber
2nd Gear
Yes, yes, yes!

It took me a while to get used to the bigger size, i did not want a big car, just a 4 door MINI....

however, i am used to the size now, and it just as much fun to drive as my old MINI Cooper was. I LOVE it. Very convenient, especiallly when you are transporting kids.

I would definately do it again.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Things I discovered in this thread: I'm scared about the cup holders - and excited about the the interior ambiance lights.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 AM
jenben04
2nd Gear
Now I'm worried about the sunroof... What leaks did everyone have? My current Volvo flooded thanks to the sunroof leaks. (it leaked through the driver's side column, thank goodness, and not the actual sunroof) Anyone?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
critterz
2nd Gear
haven't heard of any leak issues with the sunroof. certainly have had none with mine ... definitely gets tested regularly here in the sorta wet northwest! been pretty sunny here lately.....

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM
MichaelinA2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by beauxgoris
I'm scared about the cup holders...
Don't be.... this works great (link) and does not break the bank.

Cheers...

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM
minigus3836
Neutral
We have had ours since May of 11 and we love it the trim issue was fixed no issues as of yet. Plenty of power lot more than Wrangler had in a power to weight ratio. I just started really driving it since we bought a Grand Cheroke she doesn't to want drive the Mini ride is stiffer but her biggest issue is no remote start and everyone says you cannot put one in. It does not bother me and I like it driving it it's like a sports car with a back seat. I do not care for the run flats so what do I replace them with. I have the All4 in black with comfort package heated mirrirs,seats Auto trans moon roof doesnot leak seems like no rattles if it does I just turn the radio up louder. We are going to
Mini's on the dragon in May so maybe we will see some of you there. Gus

Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MichaelinA2
Don't be.... this works great (link) and does not break the bank.

Cheers...
Thanks for the link. So basically they're just skinny and narrow. Looks like a cup purchase in my future.

re: sunroofs (another poster) I was always told that they're not the kind of thing that leaks right away - but a few years later as things get rattled around for a while the seal loosens and leaks can occur. I'd be interested to know if anyone has a regular mini with sunroof/moon roof and had any issues with it down the line.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
rfath
4th Gear
beaux - not sure if it's any consolation, but I had a 2003 MCS until 2009 and a 2006 MCS from 2009 - 2012 and neither ever had issues with the sunroof other than needing the tracks cleaned. And I was HARD on the first car - lots of HPDE track days torquing on the chassis in high-speed maneuvers. Rock solid. Can't promise that the larger chassis here wouldn't have issues, but... it hasn't been for me in the past.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...re: sunroofs (another poster) I was always told that they're not the kind of thing that leaks right away - but a few years later...
MINI know how to build a car with a moonroof. 2004 MCS JCW here with auto crosses and track days...no leaks in 8 years! In fact, I've owned 3 non-MINI BWMs (not counting my R1200RT bike), and NONE of them leaked. All had >120k miles before selling them.

HTH,

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 AM
ChubbyMini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jenben04
Now I'm worried about the sunroof... What leaks did everyone have? My current Volvo flooded thanks to the sunroof leaks. (it leaked through the driver's side column, thank goodness, and not the actual sunroof) Anyone?
WHA WHA WHAT??? I have not heard/read of this issue

Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
My Clubman's sunroof leaked, the dealer could never trace where the leak came from, so I decided against a sunroof for my Countryman.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
We had a noisy sunroof on the 06 MINI when it was first delivered but the dealer fixed that under warranty.
The CM is the tenth BMW / MINI product with factory installed sunroof or soft top and nine of them have been leak proof. The only one that leaked was my round tail light 2002, but that little car had 300k miles and was 30 years old. It was a driver (borderline crusher actually) so everything leaked!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyMini
WHA WHA WHAT??? I have not heard/read of this issue

ALL cars with a sunroof can potentially have this problem. On VWs it was due to the design of the end of the drain tub in the door jamb. It would seal shut sometimes, water would back up in the tube and eventually it would leak into the cabin.

Pretty common actually and no reason to avoid a sunroof. I just don't use them much and I don't like the weight or the big black rectangle on a red roof.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Would do it again in a heartbeat! I currently own a '04 Cobra and '72 Convertible Chevelle and the Mini is funner to drive than both.

My only gripe is the "mini" cup holders - so dang small. I would have also ordered the black headlights and alarm if I would have the chance to do it over again.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Just wanted to chime in and say I have a CM with a sunroof delivered late April 2011, no noises or leaks from the sunroof thus far. I had a MINI without a sunroof before, I like having the option to open it up...

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
Nope. Too many squeaks/rattles.

I'd buy her a Range Rover Evoque instead.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kenningtons

So you're unhappy with your mini? Are you selling it then for a different car?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear

Why? It's an overpriced Ford Escape. It IS a lot prettier though.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
Why? It's an overpriced Ford Escape. It IS a lot prettier though.
What would you say it's an overpriced Ford Escape, it's not built on the same platform.

I'd buy an Evoke if it was a little bigger and had a better diesel, and was a little cheaper, it's an X1/Q3 sized car yet sells for X3/Q5 prices here in Norway.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
So you're unhappy with your mini? Are you selling it then for a different car?
We're taking it back AGAIN to give the stealership another chance to fix the squeaks/rattles. If it were up to me, it would be long gone, but it's my wife's car, so it's up to her.

Qualitysound: The Range Rover Evoque has nothing in common with the Escape. You are mistaking it with the Freelander/LR2.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
We're taking it back AGAIN to give the stealership another chance to fix the squeaks/rattles. If it were up to me, it would be long gone, but it's my wife's car, so it's up to her.

Qualitysound: The Range Rover Evoque has nothing in common with the Escape. You are mistaking it with the Freelander/LR2.
Ahhhh, my bad. I thought it was the Evoque. It really is a nice looking SUV.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
bump

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 days of ownership: wonderful experience. Solid as a rock, great gearbox/clutch, fun handling, fine motor, good mileage, comfortable seats, best standard sound system on any car I've owned, zero rattles. Can't even complain about the Conti 17" runflats...

Oh, wish it had a water temp guage. Just added a Scanguage II to take care of the issue, plus add a bunch of other guages, trip meters, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going on a year and Zaftig will be my last MINI. Going in, I knew they were a BMW division - but I didn't realize just how much BMW was in a MINI. They may just as well stick a blue and white circle on the hood and make it official. I have no complaints about the MINI in my MINI, but everything from the run flats to the overly complicated systems to the undelivered promises to the pricing structure to the marketing is just too much Bimmer. What should be a simple, fun, reasonably priced vehicle is an over stuffed, over priced Brit/Austrian/Bavarian. It's still a lot of fun, but once is enough.