North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 Would you do it again? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/212991-would-you-do-it-again.html)

Lexy 06-25-2011 03:37 PM

Would you do it again?

So, proud countryman owners. Now that many of you had the car for a decent amount of time - would you buy this car if you had a chance to make that decision again?

Specifically coming from other brands, an not having mini in your blood, would you give it preference over others out there?

What features you wish you got that you didn't, or what you wish you didn't get?

There is a lot of talk about small gripes, bigger issues, and what a blast those cars are to drive. But in toto - would you do it again?

I am getting to order mine in a matter of days now/or not, and would love your feedback.

fused 06-25-2011 04:38 PM

Got the CM S after doing a ton of reading and research....

Ordered it without the:::
1) sunroof (leaks and noise issues)
2) GPS and Connect (PW issues with GPS and other issues with Connect not connecting etc)

3) Didn't get auto (lots of problems supposedy with mini autos PLUS a stick is so much fun :)
Oh and not the all 4, all power to the fronts and I can drive on the snow ;)

4) Sport pkg (18 inch tires have less avail options plus more stiff ride...)
5) WISH I could have gotten without RF tires... HORRID! Hid a small pot hole and almost lost fillings in my teeth... Will replace with normal tires soon...

THAT said, took it on a 20 hour round trip and WOW, YES, I would do it again.
This car is an awesome ride. Got it nice and broken in during the trip and finally TODAY hit the SPORT button..... Talk about a different car at the press of a button... LOVE IT!

So yes, just getting the car, not the stuff that we know will break such as listed above, I would do it again...

JudgeS 06-25-2011 05:18 PM

Absolutely.

BTW Love the All4, love the Nav/mini connect, first was the whole reason I wanted the car (I will never own a non AWD car again as my primary vehicle) second is my absolute favorite feature (besides the adaptive xenons)

Oh and fused I agree MTs are more fun, but there has been no issues with Mini ATs (aside from the CVT in the first gen.) the AT in the CM and all the second gens are Aisin (the biggest and best manufacturer of ATs) and is the best auto I have ever driven aside from DSG.

tippykayak 06-25-2011 05:22 PM

I've had mine for about a month, and I'd absolutely do it again. I used to have a Jeep, and loved it, but the Countryman got better mileage than the Jeep Compass, plus Jeep ties an automatic transmission or a CVT to some of the cooler upgrades, and having a stick is really important to me.

The only feature I really miss is not a standard upgrade: another, better located cupholder. You can't use the rail ones on the front rail because they're too wide to fit with the parking brake (which is dumb, because they're unnecessarily wide), and the built-in front cupholders are tough to get at.

I'd also kinda like the fob option that lets you start the car by proximity instead of putting it in the slot, but that's a teeny thing.

Love, love, love the sunroof, flatload floor, sport stripes, adaptive headlights (don't miss out on this one!), HK stereo, and bluetooth.

MINI-Connected isn't quite worth it, in my opinion. I really like having my mileage, efficiency, and other info on the bigger screen, but I'm not sure it's worth $750 since the iPhone integration is pretty poor overall (though there's lots of potential for further upgrades).

inimini2007 06-25-2011 05:50 PM

No, I wouldn't do it again...30K for a MINI!

My wife is nuts.

cgm246 06-25-2011 06:06 PM

Love my Countryman base model 5 spd after a month, needs better gas mileage, however...27 mpg sucks, coming from an Audi A4 that did 29-32 mpg, and a Hyundai Sonata that did 32-33 mpg.

All these no.'s were Hwy miles..

The stereo could use some boosting as well. Going to add a sub.

Cosmic Blue Conspiracy 06-25-2011 06:09 PM

Nope. Rattles, fit and finish issues, weirdnesses with the nav system and audio, strange hesitations with the engine, and I swear weird transmission issues (almost feels like I have it in sport without putting it in sport), not to mention the price tag...no way. I have always wanted a MINI...for years I waited for a "practical" version. Have to figure out how to get rid of it before the warranty is over without pissing off my wife.

tonyall4 06-25-2011 06:20 PM

i have had mine for about 4 months,ive put a little over 10,000 miles on it. What i love..sunroofs, handling, automatic trans,leather seats are comfortable and look great,harmon karden sound system rocks....what i dont like..had to have it towed to dealer last night,seems like it ran out of gas although the gauge said otherwise, i had it in once before already for an odd electrical problem, i hope this doesnt continue because i love this car, it handles the winter storms here in ohio with no problem (i do recomend the all4, and the turbo is a must also)

JudgeS 06-25-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cgm246 (Post 3311593)
Audi A4 that did 29-32 mpg,

Which Audi A4 did that, what engine/drive train, I've been around a lot of Audis the last 10 years, and never saw an A4 get anything close to that. Certainly nothing with AWD and the 2.0T, maybe a frontrack 1.8T but even then I find it hard to believe.

Matt all4s 06-25-2011 06:39 PM

I would do it again. We looked at every car out there under 30K. It came down to a 4door GTI and the countryman. We got the all4 man shift and prem package for under 30K. 9000 miles, driven hard and not a single problem. Looking to add a 2012 MCSa to the family in the next couple of months.

cgm246 06-25-2011 07:26 PM

I had frontrak/cvt/2.0t

ghamma 06-25-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt all4s (Post 3311617)
I would do it again. We looked at every car out there under 30K. It came down to a 4door GTI and the countryman. We got the all4 man shift...

I started off wanting to purchase a 5-door hatchback (to replace my crossover 5-door SUV). I wrote a specification for myself and populated a spreadsheet with vehicles and specifications until I had about 50 models under consideration. Then I started applying rules (including the minimum mileage rule, supplied by my spouse - goodbye Subaru) until I was down to about a dozen. Among those, the more specs I included, the tighter was the comparison between the 4DR GTI and the CM. But I wanted 4WD. Things were even until I finally got to drive the CM4 stick - then it was decided. Much more fun.

Would I do it again? After about a month, I'd say definitely - the xenons, the stick, ALL4, all good choices for me.

kgelner 06-25-2011 08:50 PM

I may not count because my previous car was a MINI, but I did test drive some other AWD cars (including the Juke) before I ordered my CM.

I'm really happy with my whole build, and with the car generally. It's a slightly bigger MINI with AWD, better clearance, and more space, which is what I wanted/needed...

There are just two things I would change in the lineup: different colors, and I would like better mileage (I have the automatic and the AWD). But being able to get above 30 from it on the highway is good enough for long trips.

youthanasia 06-26-2011 12:31 AM

Came from a Subaru Impreza. It was either the All4 Countryman, or the STI hatch for my next car.

Love: The look, Mini connect, sunroof, Adaptive Xenons, sport package and space.
Wish: wished it had more power
Dislikes: interior could be better for the price point.

Would I do it again? Yeah, but I'd skip the Navi and swap it with the HK sound system with VisualBoost+Connect. Maybe would consider the JCW if it ever comes out IF it has a significant increase on power and a better interior.

Miniblue2 06-26-2011 05:38 AM

In a heart beat. The only differences - no center arm rest and 17-inch wheels.

Bill

JudgeS 06-26-2011 07:17 AM

Ok if we are talking things I wish I did, and things I'm glad I did/didn't:

I wish I did: parktronic, 17" tunnel spokes (I love mine, but these give an amazing look to the car that no other wheel does), chrome interior. MT, but the wife prevents this, not that the AT isn't great cause it is.

Glad I didn't get, cause I was on the fence: Sunroof (wasn't sure I could live without one, but I actually love not having it, and no added creaks like my R56), HK (stock system is fine), 18" rims (car is perfect with 17's, I don't think I could take a harsher ride, although this has to do with runflats as well)

Very happy with: Nav, leatherette (nicer than the R56, which was nice to begin with), anthracite headliner, driving lights, and most of all adaptive xenons.

Still on the fence: Mini connect, I have nav so I would have had most of the other features anyway, the limitations of the software right now make it a big waste of money (unless your not getting nav.), might change with updates.

I could have included ALL4, but I would not have gotten the car without it.
:thumbsup:

donhuns 06-26-2011 07:53 AM

1700 miles and so far, yes. Loving it.

I kept my build very simple and I'm glad I only got what I got....no sunroof, no nav... none of the stuff that has been causing folks some issues.

Love the Xenons, glad I stayed with 17"s, absolutely like the cloth/leather interior, and REALLY glad I went with black wheels (after spending a lot of time yesterday cleaning off the brake dust.....again.)

I'm not as annoyed with the runflats as some comments here, but kinda can't wait to be able to change them out in a "few" more miles.

Best mileage so far was on a 250 mi trip, about 95% highway, both 2 lane and interstate, and was just a whisker under 35 (calculating manually...computer was fairly close also.)

I didn't get the armrest, but may add that soon. Outmotoring has what appears to be an OEM for about the same(+-) price, so I decided to try without first. Now I think I would like the extra storage, but that will take some room out of the front rail :cry: so still mulling that upgrade.

All-in-all, 2 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don

Lexy 06-26-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Miniblue2 (Post 3311814)
In a heart beat. The only differences - no center arm rest and 17-inch wheels.

Bill

How come 17 inch wheels? Too rough with the 18s?

Why no center armrest?

Tacoman03 06-26-2011 11:29 AM

Yep! Just wouldn't go with the vinyl seats, in Texas, these baby's do not breathe! Cloth next time...not a leather kinda guy.....front cupholders need reviseing, the clubman had the same issue! Too close to the toggle switchws/window controls...other than that....would do it again, in fact, once daughter gets this one, might get another one, diff color/combo, etc!

Miniblue2 06-26-2011 03:17 PM

Very few choices of run flat tires in 18-inch. I want a tire with good tread life and will sacrifice a little performance. With the 18's I will probably switch to regular tires as I already have a compressor and plug kit.

The armrest bothered my elbow and for the amount it weighs and the tiny amount of room it had it is much happier on the garage floor. I use the sunglass holder in it place for little stuff.

What my thoughts are fit me and maybe not the vast majority.

Bill

JudgeS 06-26-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoman03 (Post 3311967)
front cupholders need reviseing, the clubman had the same issue! Too close to the toggle switchws/window controls...

I actually think they are a slight improvement over my R56, not good, but better. This is a European thing btw, had the same problem in previous Audis and VWs, I don't think they are big advocates of drinking in cars.

Sida3 06-27-2011 08:45 AM

I have had my CM for three weeks and I love it ! What would I change? I would upgrade to leather or leather/cloth, I would have included the chrome line interior (gauges look cheap) and would have gotten the navigation system. I would not have stressed so much about the rail...single or split... it is a non-issue. With that said, I would buy this car again in a heart beat! I have waited for years for a MINI and have never had so much fun with a car!!

Kalamazoo All4 06-27-2011 09:10 AM

YES I WOULD! 2 months now in my CM All4, and haven't stopped smiling since I got it. Got everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. The only thing I would change BESIDES the dumb cupholders that block access to the window switches, is the rail system itself. Great concept, useless in reality. The only thing I am using with the rail is the sunglass case, and I could have put them in the armrest. Other than the those two nuisance things, this is the most fun I've had driving for years.

Any concerns over the Auto Trans are unfounded. I find this the smoothest shifting auto I've ever had. A friend of mine drove my CM hard and fast one day and told me it outperformed his Mazda RX-8.

j_vincent 06-27-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by cgm246 (Post 3311639)
I had frontrak/cvt/2.0t

I had an A4 FWD/CVT/3.2 and almost averaged the same. That CVT was amazing with fuel, if a bit droning.

That said, my wife is driving the crap out of her S and it's still averaging 28, which IMO is acceptable for mixed driving and a former full size SUV driver enjoying some power for a change.

We were going to replace the SUV with a optioned to the nines All4, but added it to the fleet instead. I'm surprised how happy we are with a "stripper". Interior and exterior chrome, xenons, armrest, auto and MSRP of about 28k. A good price point for the vehicle. The options we chose make it seem anything but base.

No regrets…yet.

John

kingalien 06-27-2011 02:06 PM

I've been happy with my purchase. As others have said, some tweaks are highly recommended:
  • Better cupholders at the front
  • better positioning of the window switches and the central unlock switch
  • Reposition the Sport button to near the shifter and/or allow for default be to when it's last mode was
  • Touch screen NAV